She Wore The Same Dress

She Wore The Same Dress

A Story by MyNameIsRyleigh
"

She wore the same dress she does everyday. Her lips were permanently curled into a gleeful smile that sent trickling waves of nostalgia down your spine. I’d see her panicked expression one last time

"

She wore the same dress she does everyday.

The cobalt fabric pluming out around her thin hips, the fresh-pressed ribbon wrapped impeccably around the waist and tied into a delicate bow that consumed the front of the skirt. She had the same shower of freckles that were scattered across her skin like an inverse night sky, her wine-hued hair lying across her shoulders in the identical pattern of curls that she always bared.

Her lips were permanently curled into a gleeful smile that sent trickling waves of nostalgia down your spine. The kind that made you see her playing a familiar game of chase in the backyard, a chunky pup yipping after her as it’s floppy ears flung about. She’d giggle and squeal out of pure happiness as her feet got tangled under her with the small dog’s own, falling to the ground with a soft thump into the grass. 

The spaniel would hop onto her stomach, barking merrily as it tugged at the loose fabric of her shirt, fighting back as her hands gently beat at it’s sides. A grin would grow on my own lips as I watched the scene, my entire body relaxing in the moment of recollection of another’s treasured memories. Her hair went wild, her luxuriate curls twisting with tangles as bits of twigs and gravel twirled into it, the rocks digging into her scalp as she squirmed underneath the growing weight on top of her. The jubilant titter of her laughs being choked off into gasps as she fought for an escape as the paws on her shoulders moved to muffle her screams, the freckles that once gleamed on her cheeks invisible under the mixture of tears and dirt that decorated her face. 

I’d see her panicked expression one last time before the pale blue of her eyes would fade out into a milky white as they fought for life, the sounds of her last wheezes of breathe echoing in my ears-

Clink.

It felt as if I had fallen from another universe and plopped into my one, the image of my father bending under the dining room table to pick up his fork the first thing before my eyes. I looked around, letting out a breath I didn’t know I had been holding as I looked at the girl that stood in the doorway to the kitchen, my fingers wrapping into a fist subconsciously. Her smile tugged down into a frown as she looked at her shredded dress and stained bobby-socks.

I was still staring at the young girl as my mother spoke up.

“So, Bea, how was school?” 

© 2015 MyNameIsRyleigh


Author's Note

MyNameIsRyleigh
This is a mildly edited first-draft, so please excuse any lack of fluency, grammar, etc. Please tell me what you think and feel free to give advise on how I can improve this piece and/or if I should continue it. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The name caught my eye. I really like the story

Posted 8 Years Ago


MyNameIsRyleigh

8 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
1 Review
Added on October 13, 2015
Last Updated on October 13, 2015
Tags: ghost, horror, creepy, haunting, special powers, superpowers, telepathy, mediums, pychic, pychcic medium

Author

MyNameIsRyleigh
MyNameIsRyleigh

Plymouth, IN