Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Sati

Sati

A Poem by Alicante lullaby
"

i can't rhyme...i'm no where near it..

"

In Alhamra Arts Council

past the Crow Eaters Gallery,

they shut the light out with Navy blue curtains

and the cold A.C air

is pregnant with dry scraps of talk

and the smell of blades

and after-shave lotion.

The only thing noisey is the jet black of her eyes.

(dead here have such a huge reserve of life)

Your eyes turn to dark red empathy

ogling the yellow flames fanned by her sari.

You turn around to tell me,

Had i had been born 200 years back,

i might have been burnt by a man

at a man's pyre.

400 years ago,

there were the Salem Trials.

i guess,i'm way too lucky.

What i dont say,

cant say,

cant tell is wherever your pale,

carnivorous hands touch me

I scald,I scrunch ,i burn,i peel...

I'm...just another kind of sati.

© 2010 Alicante lullaby


Author's Note

Alicante lullaby

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

may be what you say is the way it was meant to be... no matter how many years you go back and see... long after sati has been abolished we can tell that we're born in luckier times... but luck comes with a price tag... one way or the other... it will get you ... nice write... makes you think... how much did we change... and what's left to change....

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
You have a knack for fleshing out and marrying imagery, emotion and thought on an innate level. Seemingly disconnected but it all comes together at the end and leaves a full feeling.

Thought I'd wander by instead of being my usual quiet, anti-social self here =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


You don't really need to rhyme lol, your imagery is excellent. You're the intellectual poet, and no you can't say that about all poets in general. Take that as a compliment, because it takes poems written by that type of writer, to invoke the kind of thought that this one does.

nice write.^

-Dream

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ah!..you have got this fearless vivid imagination and i loved this.The last four lines in particular do help me understand why you would use the 'Sati metaphor' here.Till date there is much speculation on many of the rituals and festivities in India which simply celebrate the apparent devotion of wives for their husbands..it can be dismissed with a wave of the hand..bah!..but then every ritual in every culture has this deep rooted reason imbued in the cultural psyches..hence it makes no point to rationally analyze something.In our times sacrifice too is measured and thought about before jumping in..and yes i do understand burning down yourself in a completely different nature of fire.Bold,courageous and a very clever metaphor.

Posted 13 Years Ago


may be what you say is the way it was meant to be... no matter how many years you go back and see... long after sati has been abolished we can tell that we're born in luckier times... but luck comes with a price tag... one way or the other... it will get you ... nice write... makes you think... how much did we change... and what's left to change....

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The last lines seemed to me to be about love, but im non to sure of this, being devoured like a sati is a taste to far.

Yet ill enjoyed the flow and feel of the words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was captured by the smell of death and the hands of the mortician... somehow immolation is a better end... even when the pyre is lit by a man... A powerful, atmospheric write

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
Always powerful writing. You always have a knack for leaving a potent feeling in the reader.

Posted 13 Years Ago


really remarkable stuff here

Posted 13 Years Ago


most of us are running 110 wiring between our words and our thoughts; you've got pure 220...good girl

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think it may be perfect, just the way it is

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 30, 2010
Last Updated on December 7, 2010

Author

Alicante lullaby
Alicante lullaby

About
The Hanging Man By the roots of my hair some god got hold of me. I sizzled in his blue volts like a desert prophet. The nights snapped out of the sight like a lizard's eyelid: The wor.. more..

Writing
... ...

A Poem by Alicante lullaby



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..