Billy on my Mind

Billy on my Mind

A Story by SetApartGirl

I rubbed my sore eyes and then looked around, a tight, wrenching feeling twisting my chest. As I stood on the stage, I could see everyone; the directors, the actors, the singers, and the crew, but most of all, Billy. Billy, when I was five years younger than I am now, had ripped my heart from chest and left me alone in a world that was changing by the second. But that was in my senior year and I had finished college and after spending a year in Asia taking an international course, I had returned here, to the life of acting I had always known. Now, here I was, costumed and ready to go for the first dress rehearsal for the annual Easter play and there he was, leaning up against the sound booth, talking casually to Titus, the head sound director. His gaze caught mine and I looked away, embarrassed. I had not seen him for five years and here I was, staring at him. Sean, or "Grandpa" as many of us called him, walked up to me, a beaming smiled on his old face.

"Hey girl," he said and reached out to give me a hug.

I returned it. I loved this old man as if he were my own grandpa, since I had never known any of mine. "Hey, Grandpa," I said.

"Have you gotten a job yet?"

I nodded.

"Where at?"

I laughed. "Wal-Mart. I've got lots of bills to pay off from school before I can go looking for a real job in the film industry."

"What about your sister? She has an idenpendent film company, called, what is it? Shalom Pictures?"

"She doesn't have need of my abilities yet. She's still in pre-production. CGI won't be needed for awhile. When it is though, I'm going to be head of the department."

"That's fancy."

"Yeah." I look to see one of the directors, Adelaide, beckoning me over. "Gotta go, Grandpa. Take care of yourself." I gave him a pat on the back before walking over to Adelaide. "Yes?"

"We need you to go over your lines with the new Ardon. He knows the part well, he's just a little shaky."

"Where is he?" She points to Billy and my heart starts beating a thousands times a minute. "Oh."

"Go on. We need to get started soon."

I walk hesitantly over to him and then take a side trip to get my microphone on. Then I go over to him. "So, you're the new Ardon," I state more than ask, keeping my face lowered in hopes that he will not notice me.

"Yeah. My name's Billy, by the way," he said as he extends his hand.

A sigh in relief inwardly. He doesn't recognize me and chances are, he won't remember my name either. "Sophia." I shake his hand and shiver at his touch.

Three weeks later, it is opening night and all is set. I have come to know a different side of Billy. It was a side he never showed me when we dated. And all this time, I haven't been able to get him off my mind. I shake it off as we perform and all goes well. Finally, I decide to tell him.

"Billy," I say hesitantly and he looks at me in a funny way. "It's me, Sophia Robb."

Almost immediately, he remembers. He backs away from me in shock. "I'm sorry for what I did to you all those years ago."

"I have already forgiven you. If I had not, God would not be able to forgive me for the things I have done."

"I should not have been so mean."

I throw my hands. "As I have said, Billy, all is forgiven."

© 2008 SetApartGirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmmmm interesting story. I like your flow and it was easy to understand, two things that are very good.
But man, I really think the part with her and Billy isn't very believable.
I mean, he must have a really bad memory if he remembers her when she tells him her name but not when he sees her face. I mean, I know some people are better with names than faces but not THAT much better.
You need to make it a little more believable. I don't know how you would do it, maybe have them only work over the phone or something?
You also should draw out the end a little more. The beginning began nicely but you were too short at the end.
Anyway, these are my comments and criticisms, take them or leave them.

~S

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 6, 2008

Author

SetApartGirl
SetApartGirl

About
I have been writing since I could put sentences together and they actually made sense. Since then I have completed five books with two of them winning the same competition two years running. I have al.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by SetApartGirl


I: Orders I: Orders

A Chapter by SetApartGirl