Following Heaven

Following Heaven

A Story by Sc Stackpole
"

This is a short about disillusionment, betrayal, and dreams. it's about fighting for something only to discover it is not what you thought it would be.

"

"I followed, where ever you led, I followed. I was there when it all started, at the very beginning, when first you raised your lone voice against our oppressors, the ignorant ones, the arrogant savages who cared nothing about the people they ruled. I was there, standing at your side. I took up the sword with you, fighting for those who could not fight for themselves, I was there. When the people came in droves just to hear you speak, I was there, when they chose you to lead them through the darkness into a bright, new world, your words reaching me, reaching us all. You spoke of beautiful things, a world for the people, whose riches lie in the human mind and heart, not in silver and gold. You stirred us all, and I followed. When we met their armies on the field of battle, I was there, leading the troops on, as men and women lay dying, I was there, as our cities burned, our temples destroyed, our people enslaved, my brother, my own brother murdered because he would not give you up to them, I was there, watching as they tortured him, burning him alive.....I was there when the tide turned in our favor, that day, the day to end all days. I was there when their weapons failed them, their own people rose up beside us, I was there....when you stood upon the crumbled ruins of their greatest city, their seat of power, their leader on his knees, pleading for mercy. I watched as you slit his throat for everyone to see. I followed you as we tore down the old regime. One by one, they died. We were all ready for change, and you brought it to us, setting it at our feet. At first things were great, then I noticed changes in you, small at first, no one else saw these, but I did. I saw it in your eyes, they were once soft, full of love and caring for everyone, but they became hard. Your manner changed. I saw this all, but chose not to act, to my everlasting shame, I did nothing. I watched..... Then finally your cruelty became too much, the world you spoke of so many times, the one we dreamed of, was not to be. So I acted."

"I stand before you now, in chains, awaiting my fate. Already knowing what it will be. But I will not beg for my life. I will not whimper and plead for mercy. Instead I ask you for mercy for them, for those who stood by your side, those who without, you would not be where you are now. Without their blood, their sacrifices you would be nothing. I ask for one last favor, as one who stood beside you from the beginning, one who saved your life many a time, one who has been your friend, I ask this favor. Let them go. Give them back their dream. It was not yours to take....."

With that said, the man who once I had killed for, lived for, waved his hand from his seat on the throne, ordering my death. The executioner approached and I knelt before him. Maybe now I will find the dream........

© 2015 Sc Stackpole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on March 31, 2015
Last Updated on March 31, 2015

Author

Sc Stackpole
Sc Stackpole

Holland, MA



About
I'm a 45 year old man who has been writing since I was about 8 years old. One of these days I may get it right. Writing is my way of understanding what I think and feel. It's therapy and I enjoy it im.. more..

Writing
Wit's End Wit's End

A Story by Sc Stackpole