First Date

First Date

A Story by SamanthaDanielle
"

This is a short, short story about Jerry and Misty on a first date.

"

Amidst the dim lighting of TGI Friday's, there sits a couple engaging in their fist date. The man, of tall, rounded stature, with a buzz cut nervously watches a petite, bleach-blonde haired woman, slouching in the booth while pecking at her salad behind her menu. She wears bedazzled, tight fitting jeans with a baggy white see-through shawl over a bleached camisole. Her ensemble greatly contrasts that of her burly counterpart who wears a navy work polo, spotless caramel steel-toed boots and baggy jeans. Even though both appear baby-faced, they are in their mid thirties.

         “So, do you like dogs?” Jerry asked, barbecue sauce leaking out of the right corner of his mouth.

         “Eh, yeah, I guess they’re all right,” Misty replied without looking at him.

         “Well, uh, I got me my own dog breedin’ business. You can breed any dog you like, well as long as we got the types on our facilities.”

         “Uh-huh.”

         “Yeah, well you probably already read that on my profile, huh?” Jerry trailed off as he glanced around the room. Misty continued to dissect her salad.

         The waitress returned and asked the couple, “Can I get you folks anything else? Sir? Would you like anything?”

         “Me? Oh, uh, no. No, I’m�"“ Jerry paused and glared at the waitress. “Actually, yeah. I want a cold beer this time. And you know what, I should get it for free since the last one was so goddamn warm.”

         The waitress bowed out gracefully and returned shortly with a tall, slender glass of sunflower-yellow liquid.

         “’Bout time,” Jerry said as she put the glass in front of him. “So back to what I was saying. Breedin’ dogs is a lot like breedin’ kids. You know, you can pick what features you want the dog to have and you find the dogs to do it. It’s the same with kids.” Jerry paused. “You wanna have kids?”

         “I suppose so,” Misty replied, now more interested. “How many kids do you want?”

         Jerry looked at his date with a convincing grin and shallow eyes. “How many do you want?” he hissed.

         “As many as I can make, I guess.”

         Jerry’s eyes narrowed, “How’s ‘bout I ask for the check so you and I can get out of here?”


                                             *   *   *

 

         Misty giggles and bounces up from behind her menu mask as soon as Jerry asks, “Ready, babe?”

         Jerry thrusts his arms into his black leather jacket with hearty grunts. Misty again giggled and starts to head for the swinging walnut doors. Close behind her follows Jerry, who forcefully grabs her bedazzled a*s, causing Misty to jump and fall into a fit of laughter that continues into the thin, icy air.

 

© 2012 SamanthaDanielle


Author's Note

SamanthaDanielle
Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Due to its extreme brevity, this actually seems to have been extracted from the middle of a larger story, and therefore operates on the assumption that the reader is already familiar with the background and motivations of these two characters. Also, there are a few instances where the action jumps between past and present tense, as well as one or two typos (grammar nazi, I know).

Other than that, it was entertaining for a short read. And the idea of selectively breeding children was amusing- it's like Brave New World on a budget. Please know that my criticisms are not a manifestation of me trying to be a dick- they are merely advisory.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Due to its extreme brevity, this actually seems to have been extracted from the middle of a larger story, and therefore operates on the assumption that the reader is already familiar with the background and motivations of these two characters. Also, there are a few instances where the action jumps between past and present tense, as well as one or two typos (grammar nazi, I know).

Other than that, it was entertaining for a short read. And the idea of selectively breeding children was amusing- it's like Brave New World on a budget. Please know that my criticisms are not a manifestation of me trying to be a dick- they are merely advisory.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on March 28, 2012
Last Updated on March 28, 2012
Tags: flash fiction, date, couple, short story

Author

SamanthaDanielle
SamanthaDanielle

Washington, PA



About
Hi, my name is Samantha. I'm from Pennsylvania and I go to school at Duquesne University. I'm a sophomore middle education student and I've just recently started writing for fun. more..

Writing