Chocolate Cupcakes

Chocolate Cupcakes

A Story by A hollow soul

Tomorrow is 21st of December. It’s a very special day for Mike because it’s Nimi’s birthday.

Every year in her birthday he makes chocolate cupcakes for her. Yeah she is addicted to it. She keeps waiting desperately for her birthday every year because she knows that his specially made cupcakes will arrive in the morning just for her on that day. She doesn’t like cupcakes made by anyone other than Mike. And that’s obvious because he knows exactly what is the taste that matches the desire of her taste buds. In fact, he knows everything she wants, everything that she expects, everything in bits and pieces about her. Because she is his best friend.

So today after his office hours Mike stopped at the grocery store to buy the ingredients for those special cupcakes. Parking the car in one of the parking lots as he stepped out of the driver’s seat, his phone started ringing suddenly. He pulled it out of his pocket. “Sam calling”, got displayed on the screen of his mobile phone. He decided to answer it at once. “Hey, what’s up?”, he replied. Sam on the other end asked him, “I will come to pick you up at 10 in the morning. Will that be okay?”. Mike said, “No, no not 10 make it 8:00 please. I have a meeting at 10 tomorrow. It’s very important.”. Sam was not really happy with the last minute rescheduling but ultimately he agreed upon it. So Mike disconnected the call and proceeded towards the store to buy the items. His eyeballs were wandering around the labels on the items of the store and were getting stuck on everything that was labelled as sugar free. Nimi is very figure conscious, and she would do anything to never return to her old childhood shape. Mike still remember those old happy days when they were at the elementary school and when he first saw Nimi walking inside the classroom of Grade 3. That day everyone in the class was staring at the stout round faced sweet pie. Yeah, that’s what they named her just at the time of her first entry. Irritated, her face turned red that very moment as if she got burnt with anger. She was so angry that she ran towards the end of the classroom and thrashed herself onto the last bench where he was sitting alone. She might have chosen him that day because he was the only one who was not laughing at her. “Hi, I am Mike”, he introduced himself to her. “What’s your name?”, he asked her back. “Nimi, I am Nimi”, she replied him back. “Wow, that’s a cool name. So why have you joined in the middle of the session?”, Mike continued the conversation to make her feel comfortable in the new environment. Her face turned pink from red, “Actually my dad got transferred here. I…. I am from India.” “India, wow that sounds great. I have heard a lot about India. I love it. Tell me more about it”, Mike couldn’t believe he said those words because at that time he was hardly aware about India except for just a few things such as the spicy curries, the colourful festivals and the colourful piece of long cloth that Indian women generally wrap around them during certain occasions. But he didn’t stop bluffing until the class teacher yelled at him to stop talking and let her continue her class.

He still remembers each moment he passed on that day. Starting from class notes to the way to the washroom he aided Nimi for everything like a mother does for her new born baby. During the lunch hours for the first time he had a partner to share his time with. Luckily in the bus too he was not alone in his seat. Nimi accompanied him there too. And it didn’t take both of them much time to realise that a lifetime friendship between them was in the verge to begin. From that day onwards they started behaving like shadows of each other. During classes, gymnasium hours, lunch hours and even while going back home they accompanied each other everywhere. Only when going to washrooms they could not extend their support to each other because they belonged to separate sexes. To add to their realization, even the school authorities considered them as inseparables. Not only in study activities, they were announced partners in sports as well. Gradually they started growing up as each other’s best friend and became famous in the high school as the “Dual Core Processor”.

They justified their gang’s name to a great extent. Both of them together actually comprised a dual core processor. Nimi used to top all the complicated subjects like Maths, Physics, Geography and none could beat Mike in the artistic subjects like literature, poetry, music. As sports were concerned Nimi being the strongest student of the school was considered as the first person to be included in the representing teams while Mike was included in the cookery classes for his blend of artistic intelligence. Both of them grew up to be completely opposite of each other not only in their fields of taste but also in their respective appearances. They were in their teens then. Nimi grew up to be a dark complexioned tall gorgeous lady with long locks of black silky hair. Whereas being a white, Mike was a fair blonde with a height somewhat shorter than an average American, and he was fat. Nimi called him “Butter scotch” with affection. However, looks hardly mattered to them as far as their friendship was concerned. The way two opposite magnets can stay attached inseparable both of them too stayed attached and inseparable from each other even after completing their school lives.

“Sir, it’s 15.49 dollars”, said the lady at the billing counter after scanning all the items in Mike’s cart. He was so indulged in his memories that he didn’t even realise when he finished his shopping. Mike proceeded towards his car and took all the items off the cart and put them inside the boot of his car. Retuning the cart to its acknowledged place he started driving back to his place. The traffic congestion in New Jersey becomes unpredictable especially during the first few hours of the evening. The traffic ahead of him somehow depicted a similar picture. So he had to wait behind the flashing red traffic signal for about 5 minutes. He was so bored that his reflex instigated him to light up a cigarette from his pocket and instantly his mind drifted back to another flashback of his life.

“Oho, you’re such a loser. Give me I will light it up first, and you say Nimi is the best”, giggled Nimi as she snatched the cigarette from his mouth. That was the first time when they together learned how to smoke a cigarette. It was Nimi’s 18th birthday. She made him swear that along with her cupcakes Mike would also gift her a pack of cigarettes and a 12 ounces of beer to celebrate their adulthood together. That day she had just invited Mike to celebrate her birthday along with her parents. At first he was scared to eat anything because he had once heard from his dad once that Indian food is so spicy that whoever eats it can feel the entire food tube getting burnt as the food traverses through it. However, it proved to be a myth that day. Nimi’s dad told Mike that they were “Bengalis” and they prefer sweet food over spicy ones. He was saved from the claws of spicy part of India that day. After dinner Nimi took him to the backyard of their house as she enjoyed watching the fireflies at night. Mike was sitting on the bare grass with his legs stretched and watching two beautiful things at the same time. The night and his Nimi. He was thinking to himself how similar they both were. Both were dark, mysterious and interesting at the same time. Unlike their usual days that night they just kept on staring at the starry sky without uttering a single word.

It felt as if a strange silence was interacting between the two young hearts. Mike felt his heart beat increasing as if their friendship was carving its way to get elevated to a new relationship of love. He was somewhat sure that Nimi must be experiencing the same feeling too.

Suddenly a horn from the back interrupted Mike’s thoughts and pulled him back to his present for the second time. He realised the signal has turned green and a number of cars got lined up behind his. Without any further delay, he started pressing his gas pedal to move forward his car. “Speed limit 35 miles/hr”, Mike drifted his eyes towards the board on the right side of the Main St through which he was driving his car. Once again his thoughts took a dive into his memories when for the first time he received a ticket from the officer for violating the speed limit in Interstate 287. That was not his fault that day. He was provoked by Nimi to speed up as she wanted to play with the summer wind. The heat, the wind, the lustrous silky hair that day together encaged him into some unseen dreams, some unfamiliar desires that arrested his youthful self for the first time. “Nimi, I wanted to tell you something”, Mike said as he was dropping Nimi at her place that evening. Nimi replied, “Tell me, quick. Oh c’mon! Tell me what is it.”. Mike could not speak out even a word. He was searching for the correct syllables to begin with. Nimi interrupted,” Oh let it be I need to go inside. I have to pee really bad! See you tomorrow.”, saying that Nimi kissed Mike on his cheeks. “Oh by the way, I need to tell you something too. Tomorrow first thing at college. Remind me ok! Bye!”, she shouted as she giggled while running towards the entrance of her house. That night Mike could not sleep even for a second. His entire time on the bed went through a series of fantasies. “I knew she loved me too. I can see that in her eyes. The way she stares at me. I am the luckiest one on earth. I promise will love her forever.” Mike kept on telling those words to himself throughout the hours of the night.

A smile passed through the face of the 35 years old Mike as those memories went across his mind while he was parking his car in his garage. Mike opened the boot of his car to get all the ingredients he bought. His evening was entirely spent on the preparation of Nimi’s favourite cupcakes. He was so engrossed in it that he didn’t realise when and how the entire evening passed and was finally replaced by the silence of the night.

Meanwhile the cupcakes were ready. Like every year there were four of them. Each one having a letter of her name engraved on it. “N”, “I”, “M”, “I”. Mike was tired and the clock was ticking 10 by then. He was already feeling full as the flavour of chocolate had completely filled up his tummy. Mike decided to go to bed instead. A glass of water was the only thing that he swallowed before heading towards his bedroom. It didn’t take him even a quarter of a minute to be completely arrested into the arms of sleep. Like almost every day, that night also Mike saw his un-decodable dream. He saw clouds which turned into a couch and Nimi was sitting on it. A rainbow across the rain which parted him from his love. And Sam was crossing the wall of rain while approaching him. Sam on reaching him was holding his hand and was saying “C’mon, let’s go now”.

Suddenly, the alarm in his mobile phone started ringing. Mike’s sleep was interrupted. Unable to fully open his eyes Mike with his half closed droopy left eye tried to have a glance at the time that was displayed on the screen of his phone. It was “7:30” in the morning. Only half an hour left for him to get ready before Sam’s arrival to pick him up. Mike hurried towards the bathroom and completed all his nature’s call to get ready as soon as possible. At 8:10 Mike heard the calling bell at his doorstep. He hurried to see Sam waiting outside. “I am ready, just give me two minutes.”, Mike told Sam. He returned back towards the dining table standing at the centre of his living room and picked up the plate of cupcakes that he had prepared last night. Sam looked at them, smiled and said, “Wow, you made them again huh? Nice.” Mike acknowledged with a smile and said, “Shall we go?”. “Sure, let’s go”, Sam replied. They started at around 8:15 in the morning. Sam continued to drive his car through the lanes of Mike’s apartment while making his usual warm gesture, “Hey Mike, haven’t you ever thought of making such cupcakes on my birthday too? I mean, I am sorry but I am so jealous of her! ha ha ha”, they both laughed as their car continued to pass through the winding roads. After riding for about 7 miles they reached the Mount Lebanon Cemetery. Sam parked his car at the parking lot and both of them started walking.

Mike remembered the last time when he saw Nimi on her hospital bed. “I never thought I will stop irritating you so soon. Ha ha. Thanks for everything Mike. And please look after Sam. Never leave his side. I am gonna miss you a lot.”, tears rolled across his cheeks as he heard Nimi saying those words to him that day. But he could not reply her back with anything. That day he just held her hands across his palms and was kissing them never endingly. He tried to hold her forever but could not realise when those soft hands that he had loved forever turned cold and lifeless within the following few minutes.  Those were the toughest minutes for both Sam and Mike that day as each of them had to let go of the most precious treasure of their lives forever.

Sam and Mike reached Nimi’s grave. Sam placed the bouquet of red roses over her. The bouquet had a note on it “For my loving wife. Miss you. Love and kisses.” Sam placed his hand over Mike’s shoulder and said “Go ahead”. Mike placed the plate of cupcakes on her grave and started saying, “Hi Sweet pie, hope you’re doing good. Hope you don’t irritate those other dead much like you did to us. I warn you, we spared you, they won’t. Sam is doing good. I am taking good care of him. You know he also had a promotion last month. But he misses you a lot. And me too.”. Mike continued, “your favourite cup cakes are here, but check out while you enjoy them ok. Make sure you don’t gain weight again.”, he smiled while his eyes were getting filled with tears. Sam came forward, held Mike’s hand and said softly, “C’mon, let’s go now”.

Mike and Sam left Nimi’s grave and got into the car. Sam said, “Should I drop you at your office?”, Mike replied, “Yeah, and please pick me up today in the evening.”, “Sure, I will do, I always do that Mike you don’t have to mention that every time”, Sam replied. “Ha ha ha”, they both laughed as they proceeded towards their work.

 

That morning when Mike was about to tell Nimi about his love for her, before he could speak anything he got to know from her that she was in love with their classmate Sam. Mike never let Nimi know about his feelings thereafter. Instead he had decided to stay as her best friend and helped her unconditionally to let Sam know about her likings for him. Nimi and Sam’s love story grew stronger and they became the ideal and famous couple of their college. Three years after completing their graduation Nimi finally tied the knot with Sam. Mike’s love however stood still like an unbreakable hidden mountain and it protected Nimi and Sam from all adverse situations of life.  Two years after their wedding, Nimi was diagnosed with a rare kind of ovarian cancer. The way Mike was broken by her plight, revealed everything, every feeling he had for her in front of Sam.

Nimi’s absence created an inevitable vacuum in both Mike and Sam’s lives. But somehow their fate brought both of them together to share a great bond of friendship for the rest of their journey of life.


© 2018 A hollow soul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on October 7, 2018
Last Updated on October 7, 2018