A soldiers letter

A soldiers letter

A Story by RHEA CROSLEY
"

The perspective of a battle told to his lover via a letter home.

"

                                            Please No CSS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Julia I miss you so much it creates pain with in my heart. When I try to measure with my thoughts how terribly I miss you it only pains me more.

 

Its may 21, 2012 and I have decided to make the best of my most miserable situation by writing to you.

 

Any way most are dead. The battle was horrific . I myself was saved by off all things a storm drain .

A big on like the one we made a fort in when we where kids. I guess it was laid out for future road construction.

 

I was hunched down inside of this thing, but as the level of blood from the battle field began to rise I thought it best not to drowned in it; so, I crawled on top of the storm drain. By that time most of the fighting was over in our immediate area.

 

You see it all went crazy, as if everyone went mad .

 

People got totally hyper and began firing off rockets and rifles and every thing else in a misguided spontaneous horrifying frenzy. At first it was all orderly every one lining up in their pre-assigned locations. And we proceeded methodically.

 

Then the earth started shaking and liquid fire seemed to be pouring down out of the sky. The sky turned an eerie purple. Then fires where starting every where. A few people from our squad started firing there rifles in a panic. Firing mistakenly toward our allies. They began to return fire with there much larger unit. We where sitting ducks;so I jumped into this storm drain.

 

After that larger units from our country began to retaliate. It seemed that the whole battlefield erupted in mayhem. The smoke filled the air so thick it was hard to breath. Eventually I passed out.

 

When I awoke, I was laying and gaging in a pool of blood not my own. Though I was not sure at first. It happened just like that crazy neighbor of yours said it would.

 

I totally disbelieved him. I mean he did sound crazy. But he was right.

 

Well I hope your safe. I imagine so since your so far from here.

 

Don't worry about me, I sense that I am doing as good as someone could be. I mean I have only small scratches and feel like I will eventually make it home safe.

 

Here is my poem, I think it sums up what happened. I love you always and hope to be home soon.

 

The day has dawned the sky displays a beautiful orange yellow glow .

 

The sun slowly starts to raise its wonderful crest off the distant ground.

 

There is an amazing fearful song that plays within the heart of all the men as they look sun ward.

 

Excitingly they tremble with expectation. For to day is the day of the greatest battle the earths has ever seen and they know they shall win the day.

 

Their spirit is as one - like one man who celebrates a great triumph.

 

Out of many they become one as no other army ever has..

 

Intensely they focus on the prize - on the victory.

 

Today is the day of The Battle - the day of defeating the enemy -the day of securing bounty for there nations and to bring greater peace to all the earth.

 

They are sure footed ; they are confident –

they will without flinching overwhelm and crush their enemy.

 

Unknowingly, tragically they are wrong ; for this is the Day of the Lord.

 

The day the earth shall shake and the heavens shall rain down fire.

 

This is the day that those who are held by the spiritual arms of God shall be comforted by His rod and His staff.

 

The day when only those who know God in truth and spirit shall be delivered and hide in His mountain.

Not only delivered but forever exalted.

 

 

 

© 2008 RHEA CROSLEY


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmmmm. This has some logic errors in it. In the first part you have him dive into the drain when the fire starts falling. Then he comes and sits on the drain pipe after a while. Later you have him dive into the drain and fall asleep.

Next discrepancy: You have the blood become so deep that he begins to gag on it. Frankly, three things will stop that from happening. 1. Blood is thick and it gets thicker the longer it stays in the air. The blood would have coagulated before it ever reached a storm drain. 2. Unless these men are blown apart or the bullets hit the femur or carotid arteries, not enough blood will come out of the person. The wound has to be severe enough to exsanguinate the person. There just isn't a way to get all the blood out of the guy to go gushing down to the drain. 3. There can't be enough men on the battle field to do this. Men would have to be standing packed in like sardines.

Next discrepancy: Why is the guy writing to his girl if this is the rapture? Wouldn't he assume she had been taken? Even if he didn't assume that he'd know there would be almost no way for the mail to get through. These fire bolts didn't just come down on the field of battle. They're supposed to come down everywhere. The amount of chaos and loss of life would be stupendous! He would have no chance of getting that letter out.

Final discrepancy: wouldn't he be wondering why he didn't go?

Last note: you need to take a look at your piece and make sure it has been edited. Don't trust the spelling and grammar checkers. They are about as dumb as a slug. I'll point out a couple of the problems.

Susan S.

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

12122012

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 5, 2008
Last Updated on May 19, 2008

Author

RHEA CROSLEY
RHEA CROSLEY

Annapolis, MD



About
The next paragraph is when I first started with writing on WritersCafe. Since then I have been happily married to Sabine my wonderful, beautiful godly french/American wife. Between us we have 10 Child.. more..

Writing