Fear

Fear

A Story by Sarra Ben Med
"

When all you fear turns out eventually to be your own life

"
She snaps awake. A number of things flood her senses- the cool wind coming from the open window in front of her bed, the pale light of dawn rising from behind the curtains, the unmistakable consciousness of her racing heartbeat. It was then when she realized that her heart was litterally thumbing in her ears. No doubt, she was afraid, terrified even, but, strangely, she had no idea why. She remembers that she felt extremely tired and assumed some sleep would help. Yet, she found it exceedingly difficult to close her eyes that night. She just had this fear... Suddenly, her heart started racing again, her brain sparking with roman candles of panic. Every fiber of her being told her to get up and go to the window, so she did. She walked towards it slowly, the floor icy on the soles of her bare feet. When she reached the window, instead of closing it and going back to bed, she leaned forward, and gazing out at the black void of the early morning, she could have sworn she caught a glimpse of two shiny eyes, shivering into the darkness, gazing back at her. In that brief moment of solitude, her entire life flashed before her eyes. For her, the next few seconds pass with the chaotic blur of a dream. It felt like her consciousness and her sub-consciousness merged into one. She saw everything, all at once. It was too much to take in. It would have been logically impossible if it was actually real. Yet, she didn't feel strange or misleaded. All she felt was comfort and deep, deep warmth. For a moment, it felt like she understood the true meaning of life, like she got enlightened by a mysterious force out there in the darkness. They were mere seconds by th clock, but a whole age for her. Then, in a blink, the eyes vanished, sliding into nothingness. And she just stood there, taken away, delving into her own ecstasy, amazed byt the nightmarish play she had just assisted to. A surge of relief coursed through her, a glimmer of hope. Whatever it was, it touched off a secret flame deep within her. Her heartbeat slowed delicately. She wasn't afraid anymore. She now knows that the fear that was growing into her, causing her terrible insomnia, making her shake so badly she could barely function, was just in her head, was just an illusion. She realizes that this fear could be controlled, and eventually will fade away. And most importantly, she knows now that there's nothing to be afraid of. She was enlightened, she was home. She closed her eyes, unchained from the dark shadow that used to possess her, ready to embrace whatever soul-stirring life was willing to give her. And then, in a brief second, her heartbeat stopped, all at once, forever.

© 2016 Sarra Ben Med


Author's Note

Sarra Ben Med
Feel free to rate and tell what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was one that I liked. It helps reassure us that fear doesn't have to have a hold on us. It can be controlled if only we tell ourselves that it can be. I really liked it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think that the build up is great but you didn't carry it to its full potential. Other than that I think you did good but then again I'm no expert, just a fan of reading. Great work! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2016
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: woman, fear, emotions, mystery, death, experience

Author

Sarra Ben Med
Sarra Ben Med

Ben Arous, Mornag, Tunisia



About
I'm between a competent and a beginner when it comes to writing. I humbly see myself as a young motivated soul and I have always been into reading and I find it most definitely the most passionate eng.. more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..