There once was

There once was

A Story by Sadie Maisonet
"

Someone who everyone thought couldn't make it, but did.

"
There once was a girl, a girl who thought that she was put into the wrong body. A girl who was a tom boy, and her mother was trying to force her to be a girly girl. She is a senior in high school, hoping that every day she is a step closer to achieving her goals of going to the school of her dreams. One day, her life would change for the better. She decided that she would be a football player for her high school football team. She wanted to play football more than anything in the world. She had no remorse and no second thought about doing something that mattered to her like nothing else. She wanted nothing more than to do something because she loved the sport, and no matter what she would play because she was determined to play no matter what came her way. Gender was no matter to her. 
One day in December of 2013, she decided that she was going to play football with her high school. She wanted to play a sport that was not meant for her, but knew she could accomplish. She told her friend, and apparently they told everyone else. The first meeting for the football team would be the second week of December. She knew, that when she walked into that room for sign ups, she would get the stare down of her life, and everyone would know about her playing football by the end of the week. She didm't care whatsoever. When she walked into the room, exactly what she thought would happen, did. She was getting stare downs from every man in the room. They all wondered why she was there. Who is she waiting for? What does she think she is doing here? Why would she want to play football? Who told her she could do this? These were the questions she expected to go through every single one of those boys minds. But, regardless of her thoughts o how they saw her, she sat down and stayed for the whole meeting, she signed up and gave them her email and phone number. The first step to her successful career as a football player started. 
The next day that she came into school, people were asking her if she was really going to play football. If she really was going to do something that no one else in the school has every done in the 100 years that this school has been built. She, being the first women in Fort Lee history to play football, stepped into the weight room like a blind dog. She didn't know the routine for the players and what each of their curriculum meant. She kept to herself for as long as she could. Staying out of the way of the other boys who had played football before her. The boys who thought they were all that and a bag of chips. She went in open minded that someone would come and help her out. Eventually, someone came over to her and asked her if she was going to play football with the boys, or if she as just working out with them. Yes, that was the question she was asked. Her first thought was denial. The boys were trying to delete every possible thought of her taking one of their spots on  the team. The first time she walked in there and  saw every single man look her way, she knew that she was going to work as hard as these football players to not only be apart of the team, but work hard enough to play and make something of herself on this team. She was not afraid to put  little sweat into it. So she did the work outs they had put up on the white board of the room. She knew it was not going to be easy, but she was determined as ever to get it done. 
As each day went by, she would get stronger without the help of ay teacher. She wanted to make sure that she got everything she needed to get done in order to be apart of the team. With everything she had, she gave her all into lifting more than her weight. Once she started weight lifting and doing what the boys told her she would have to do, she had gotten addicted to the feeling of working out. She would pump so much iron into her blood, she would work harder than the guys ever would at working out. She would proceed to push her body to the limits that it had just to accommodate all the new muscle she was putting on. Women were not built to have muscle, they were built to carry fat to accompany another human being inside of them. But when she lifted 4 times a week, she started to gain muscle a lot faster then most women her age, or older, would get in the time frame that she did it in. She would soon squat 225, and bench 110. She was the getting physical and mentally stronger. Her body would prepare itself for the long road of working out she had ahead of her. The more she lifted in front of the boys, the more they thought she was strong, may not be able to stay the whole time, but strong enough for many of the positions on the team. They would grow to slowly accept her as one of them. 
For months, she would train with the team. For months she would be asked if she thinks she is going to make it through the whole pre season work out, and then season. When people asked her these questions, they invigorated her. She knew what she was capable of, and when she found out her strong she was getting, she was not too worried about the position that the coach was going to give her. She worked her to play to be a linebacker, something that blitzes like a bull. She wanted to fight off those guys, to make sure that when she beat them she could show she was a women that did the impossible. She went from training every single day, to then training then running her lungs off every day after she went to the weight room. She would never give up. No matter what, she would not give up. She would put herself through torture each day just to prove to them that she could do it. That she was not there for the fame, but she wanted to do as a girl who believed she was a boy. 
While training to be a linebacker, the coaches ,at one point before summer practice, told everyone what position they would be playing for the rest of the year. She was sure that she would get the position that she wanted to play. When she went into that room, when she sat down in that chair and waited to hear from the coach what she would be playing, she was nervous. Thinking that she wasn't good enough to play that position, she found out that she would play something a lot harder than a linebacker, she would be playing offensive and defensive linemen. Yes, that is right. A linemen. She was going to be the first female football player to play on the line as a pulling guard. She was about to be in the most work of her life, worst than school, worse than anything she could possible imagine. She was about to learn how to play the role of what makes the whole game work. Even though she would never run the ball into the end zone and score a touchdown, she would be the one who makes that happen. Now, she had something she really needed to work hard for. 
She conditioned every moment she had, and worked out with it. Causing her to lose water weight and gain muscle. She would soon learn why it took a lot to be apart of a that team, and what it took to play that position. She was going to learn something that she wasn't sure she wanted, but sooner or later she knew she would succumb to the temptation of hitting like a crazy animal. She was going to be the best linemen she could be. She knew what she had to do for the rest of there season and then season, and she was gong to do it. While she worked on becoming the best linemen she could be, everyone in the school found out more and more about her that she could not fathom how they knew. But she was ready to answer questions and seem what people did say about her. She wanted to know what people thought of her and if they were afraid of her. She worked hard enough to know that they should be. She was glad that they questioned her, it fueled her fire more than ever. 
Into the summer she goes. Making great progress as they start to hit and get their pads on. every day they would put on uppers and hit each until they couldn't hit each other anymore. She was a little nervous and afraid that something was going to kill her. But, she didm't care. While the coaches taught her how to hit and use the right technique, she was going the extra mile to go out of her way to come early and start early so she could get better, just like the boys did. Throughout the whole summer, she was to train and train and train and train. She would train in the heat that might have killed her, to the cold that might have froze her body. She would never give up, even when her coaches would try to exclude her from participating for their own reason. She would stay, even thigh she has thoughts of quitting before. She had a moment of realization, she was the only girl football player, and no matter how down she could be, she would not quit and finish the season. That was her goal, and eventually she did. Through hard work and playing on the JV and Varsity games, she would become good at her position and would tear things up. Making it what she wanted it to be.
Once she was in the season, she would practice and practice and practice every moment she had so she could get the chance to play with the boys her accepted her as she as and would not judge her for what she has between her legs. She played with them, had a good time, and even hung out with them from time to time. Things were tough for her. She went through a constant battle of her coaches not noticing her abilities to play, and not noticing her at all most of the time. But she made sure she was noticed in many ways. Most of the time, she didm't even call attention to herself. She just got it from everyone. Especially whens she was going to games and the other team would stare and people would yell out about a girl playing on the team. She was popular throughout the county and was happy to show the other boys up. which she did every time she was to play against them. 
The whole season was for her to grow and learn to do something that was not meant for her to make her a better person. Along the way she would meet a lot of people and be happy doing it. She went though a lot of diversity and hardship, but she would do it again in a heart beat. Now that she played the homecoming game, and she played with the boys that would be life long friends. She has a special place for what she did and always will. She never wants to forget that experience. She won't, and no one is going to let her. She did what she had to do to become apart of the team, and she is proud to say she is a a Fort Lee Football player and proud to be. But, you may ask who this girl is and how I know so much about her. Well, that girl is me. Yes, me. I Sadie Maisonet am the first girl football player in my school. I am the girl that went through pain like no one has ever gone through pain before and came back from it. I am the girl that was, and I am the girl who could be. I am more than happy to share my story with people because it brings them joy to know that someone who had every off against her was able to accomplish what she did with the help of people who were really routing for her. She would not change her experience for the world, and that is what makes it special. 
 I miss football every day of my life. It is always on my mind and it is always something I am going to be proud about talking about with people. This is a true story, and I am glad I could share it with the world. Women of the world, don't let anyone tell you that you can't because you are a woman. You tell them that you can, because you are a woman. Just because you were told that you couldn't, defiantly means that you can. So do it, and do something that you always wanted to do. Because you may never get that chance to accomplish it again. 

© 2014 Sadie Maisonet


Author's Note

Sadie Maisonet
I am a women who has been through a lot, and I am happy to share what I have been though with people because it is something worth the explanation. Thank you for viewing and please try to look at this, I want women all over the place to see this. Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on December 5, 2014
Last Updated on December 5, 2014
Tags: football, girl, me, about me, story, writing, there once was

Author

Sadie Maisonet
Sadie Maisonet

fort lee, NJ



About
hi, I am Sadie. I love to listen to rock and above. I love to write and making stories out of the clear blue sky. Each moment I can spend writing, no matter what it is, i will. more..

Writing
Men Men

A Poem by Sadie Maisonet


Time Time

A Poem by Sadie Maisonet