The Meaning of Lives - Starting With Regret and Searching For a Reason

The Meaning of Lives - Starting With Regret and Searching For a Reason

A Story by Safety-Panda

~Prologue~

"Life and death. Mere aspects to an everyday existence. Only the gods, themselves, truly know what the meaning of birth is. At least, that is what the humans are told. I, Clarity, the goddess of Life have watched over the mortals over many years. Studying them, you could say. The fact that all mortals are placed into the world for a reason, and that death is inevitable has never been questioned by any human being. They just live. Just live and die. No one asks questions. No one tries to fight against the reason - let alone search -  for life. Those who usually find their, or what they believe to be their, reason for living are either too old and forget about it within moments, or are at death's bed as they lie and wait for my brother, Azure, to pull them into the world of the Afterlife. However, they never questioned it. I suppose they felt comfortable enough with their own conclusion in the end. So, why did he question it? Why did he feel the need to struggle so hard to find his reason for life? I suppose even a goddess cannot know everything."

~Starting With Regret and Searching For A Reason~

             His name was Hajime Izaku, a member of one of the most beloved and well-known clans in the world of Diex. Hajime was around the age of sixteen at the beginning of it all. He had white hair that fell to the length of the middle of his back. He wore it tied up in what is now called a "ponytail." His skin was of an onion complexion, and he had eyes that reflected the calm - and at the same time unforgiving - ocean that were partly covered by thin black tinted glasses that usually sunk to his nose. His attire consisted of a white robe top that left part of his chest revealed down the middle and had sleeves that went right-on-passed his hands. The white robe was decorated with both light and dark blue floral patterns that looked almost smeared.
            His leggings were white, black outlined, pants in which he would scrunch up the legs making the sides poof out. As for footwear, he wore his clans traditional socks made from a sheep's wool that reached up to his ankles and sandals that were crafted from special trees only common around his village land. One other accessory that he wore on him was a sword kept at his side in a midnight black sheath. The sword bore a dark blue hilt which had tight pieces of white cloth wrapped around it. The blade itself formed out of a few white dragon fangs. The sword, named Ingakankei (consequence), was given to Hajime by his master, Tokuya Izaku. And this is where our first tale of many begins.

            The day was a dark one to begin with. The clouds above the village had a dark gray shade, almost black, color among them. It looked as if it were going to come down any second as the ominous clouds hovered above, waiting to unleash a terrible storm throughout the village land. Lightning and thunder could already be heard and seen in the near distance. Children were inside, or at least being rushed inside, and market stalls had been shut down and pulled into shelter. A very dark silence crept throughout the village then. And within moments, the sky began to cry.

            An old building was situated directly in the center of the village known as Tokuya's Dojo. In it, the best of the best were trained to use sacred techniques known as Artes. Tokuya had three special apprentices that were to take over the dojo after Tokuya passed through to the world of the Afterlife. The apprentices were known as Akiniro Izaku, Kenji Izaku, and Hajime Izaku. The three had been training under Tokuya for at least several years now, and Tokuya was becoming an old man. Tokuya had only one final test to deliver to his pupils, and this day would be the day in which it was delivered. He spoke to his students as the rain thrashed against the dojo...

          "As you three know, I have little time left in this world." Tokuya paced back and forth in front of his three apprentices who sat directly across from him, using his walking stick to carry him along. "It is time that I gave you three your final test. And whoever passes will be the one to take my dojo as well as being worthy enough to claim that he graduated from Tokuya, himself." One of the males raised their arm. It was Hajime. "Only one of will pass this test, Sensei?"
           Tokuya chuckled lightly, a light cough escaping his old lips between each breath. "Yes, Hajime. Only one person may rule this dojo, after all." The three students quickly exchanged nervous glances with each other. This time, Kenji spoke. Kenji was a tall and built young man who had short brown hair as well as mud brown eyes. He wore a kimono that was decorated with dim designs of the earth carrying mostly shades of brown and green, and held a sword to the ground space next to him.
           "Will this test involve strength, Sensei?" A slight grin slid across Kenji's lips as he awaited an answer. Tokuya chuckled once again. "Yes, yes it will. However, not your physical strength." Kenji slumped a little. Akiniro spoke now; he too held a smirk like Kenji once had.
            Akiniro had black hair that hung over his eyes. He wore a slim pair of reading glasses, and was the smartest one of the three. His clothing was also a kimono, but a red one decorated with yellow designs that seemed to take the shape of stars. He too had a sword at his side. "Sensei, will this test involve our ability to read the sacred scrolls, or perhaps on how quickly and smoothly we can use our Artes?" Tokuya gave one last chuckle. "No, no."
           "The test will involve only one question. All you three must do, is answer this question correctly. If you three cannot answer this question, you are not fit to take over this dojo." The three students exchanged more nervous glances. Hajime spoke. "What the hell happens if all three of us answer this question correctly?" Tokuya grimaced.
           "That will not happen, I assure you." The rain outside struck the old, already falling apart, building harder. The thunder roared throughout the dojo, and the lightning split the sky into two. Tokuya stopped, his old and tired face deadly serious now. "Now are all three of you ready?" The three students looked at each other one last time and nodded. It was finally time.
            Tokuya stopped in front of Kenji first. "So, Kenji. Answer me this, my pupil." Kenji's lips slid into a confident smirk as he faced his teacher with pure determination. "What is the meaning of life, Kenji? Why are YOU placed in this world?" Kenji stood up with even more confidence than before.
            The thunder roared loudly. Kenji spoke louder. "I am here to show the world I can help with my strength, Sensei!" Tokuya looked down, and at that moment, Tokuya withdrew his sword from inside of his walking stick and sliced through Kenji. Kenji fell to the ground. Dead. A puddle of Kenji's blood gathered around his limp body.
            Hajime and Akiniro both stared in horror as their "teacher" placed his sword back into his walking stick. Tokuya made his way over to Akiniro and stopped in front of him. "So, Akiniro. Now it is your turn. "What is the meaning of life? Why are YOU here?" Akiniro showed a sly smile.
           "Sensei.." A small drop of sweat fell from his face. "I am here to take over your dojo. To show the world of Diex that the Izaku clan is the smartest and strongest." Tokuya smiled. "Wrong, Akiniro." Tokuya withdrew his sword once more and forced it into Akiniro's chest, killing him.
           Hajime was the only one left. Hajime glanced at his two former best friends. Now dead. Hajime stood up and made his way over to Tokuya before he had a chance to make his way over to him. Tokuya smiled at Hajime. "Are you ready, my pupil?" Hajime gave a slight nod, and hoped to the gods that he would pass this test.
          "What is the meaning of life, Hajime? Why are YOU here?" Hajime looked down and answered with a stern look upon his face. "I don't know, Sensei. I really don't know." Hajime feared for his life at this point and closed his eyes shut. At that moment lightning touched down to the ground. Blood splattered across the dojo floor.

          Hajime wondered: "Was I right? Did I pass the final test?"

          Hajime stood up. Tokuya had performed the act of ritual suicide upon himself, and his body now lay sprawled out across the floor and a smile upon his face. Hajime said his prayers and walked out of the dojo. He did not want to take it over. Not after everything that had happened. Not after those painful memories became engraved into his mind. Hajime closed the door to the dojo silently behind him.
          The sun was now out, and the children of the village were out in play. No one had seemed to notice what had happened yet. Hajime headed now for his home. He gathered all of his precious belongings, including a golden necklace entrusted to him by his mother whom he never met. He walked to the entrance gates to his clan land and took one look back. Hajime sighed some, and turned around and walked out the gates. Full of regret, but now searching for a reason.

          Shortly after Hajime left his village, he was approached by a female figure. The girl, not seeming quite old enough to be a woman, was an attractive one. Her hair would be a perfect shade of black that almost seemed to glow as it contrasted with the daylight shine, hung down to her breasts. Her eyes were the same color as her hair; they seemed to trap whatever was foolish enough to look into them. Her attire consisted of one long black robe that seemed to be too large for her - kind of like a priestess would wear. She also carried a large book with her. She held it over her chest as she smiled to Hajime.
         Hajime spoke softly. "Can I help you?" She nodded lightly. "Where are you going, sir?" Hajime looked around and shrugged. "Not too sure yet. I have to find something though."
        "Something really important to me." The girl tilted her head to the side. "What do you have to find?" Hajime looked up towards the sky. An eagle flew overhead, soaring through the air with such majesty. Hajime shook his head and looked down to face the girl. "I have to find the reason for life, or at least for my life."
        The small girl went speechless, her mouth left hanging slightly open. Finally, she gathered herself and smiled as she realized that she felt compelled to travel with this peculiar man. "May I accompany you, sir?" Hajime's lips formed into a short smile. "Why not? Sure. The name's Hajime Izaku by the way."

        "Heheh, it is a pleasure to meet you Hajime. My name is Clarity."

© 2010 Safety-Panda


Author's Note

Safety-Panda
Enjoi. :]

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you, both of you. I should be posting another tale soon. :]

Posted 13 Years Ago


GREAT STORY

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great job the characters are very interesting

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 19, 2010
Last Updated on May 19, 2010

Author

Safety-Panda
Safety-Panda

Tampa, FL



About
Enjoi Life. more..