Demons Part 1

Demons Part 1

A Story by Saltyspacerock
"

A 15-year old girl comes face to face with a horned, 5-eyed, six-armed demon... things go well.

"
It was on November 13th I saw a demon.
I remember distinctly; Don had sent me out.  Michael couldn't stop tapping out a tune on the metal of his wheelchair. Mom still wasn't home. Shocker. I was wearing my favorite T-shirt and jeans.
I was riding my bike, on the way to our nearby convenience store, the closest thing to a Commissary around here.
Don wasn't really keen on doing things on his own. Why not make his 15-year-old stepdaughter go out and get the groceries, in a bad neighborhood, late at night? I grumbled.
He woke me up for this. That lazy oaf said he couldn't go out because he had a bad back-- I say he doesn't leave because he doesn't have a car and is too lazy to walk anywhere.
I didn't even bother to tell him to do it himself.
He'd probably smash a bottle over my head.
Don was my extremely violent stepfather. He was actually my third stepfather-- before him there was a nicer Theroy, and one guy who stayed for a week.
I still stayed in touch with my actual dad though, no matter how much Don hated it. He was also Michael's dad, which is good. I probably wouldn't care for him if he were someone else's.
Everyone expects my dad to be Italian/Pilipino like me, but he was white as a sheet of paper. All that comes from my mom.
She's barely ever around, so Michael and I have to fend for ourselves. We don't really know where she goes- she just says one day "I'm going on a business trip, be good alright?" then leaves- but wherever she goes, she stays there for a long time.
My brother and I have never been happy about this, but we aren't shy of letting her know it. She pretends she can't speak English then leaves. When she's gone, Don has no trouble threatening us and scaring us.
I often considered taking Michael off somewhere safe. Trouble is, there isn't really anywhere "safe" for us. Plus, it would be a little difficult to lug Michael around.
He doesn't have any legs-- they ended at his thighs. But he was like anyone else. He collected Pokemon cards, had little toy cars, but the thing was... poor kid had a dream of tap-dancing. Ouch. Right in the heart.
I kept reminding him he could do it if he wanted, but any encouragement was followed by scoffs from Don.
I hated it. I hated him.
My fingers tightened on the handlebars. It was cold out. I bit my lip, slightly regretting the small act of rebellion of not putting on my coat. Don had half-grumbled something about my coat when I was leaving, but I didn't put it on just because I didn't like him.
Yeah. I'll get hypothermia. That'll show him.
I rolled up to the 7Eleven, hopped off my bike, and walked inside. The little bell sounded, and the cashier looked up from his magazine. 
"Hi." He said half-heartedly. He looked slightly confused that there was a small child here.
I nodded, pacing to the freezers against the wall. Let's see... I'd just pick out the usual. Bottled water, frozen pizza, microwaveable packs of yakisoba, Cup-O-Noodles, pads, bread, milk, snack packs, gum, and a few chocolate bars.
And, painfully, reluctantly, ruefully, a 6-pack of beers. For Don. I needed to keep him in a good mood.
I plopped the items on the countertop, surprising the guy at the register. He had brown skin like mine, spiky blonde hair, a nose, brow, and ear piercing.
He cleared his throat and put down his magazine. He scanned item after item, until he reached the beers.
"Uhm..." He said awkwardly. He had a slightly clueless voice. And upon closer inspection, I saw he had a tongue piercing as well. "I'm... I'm gonna need an I.D."
Shoot.
"I'm getting them for my step-dad." I said bluntly. I was really hoping he wouldn't call the police. That wouldn't go over well.
He seemed shocked by me talking so confidently. "I-I-... uh... I'm n-not allowed to provide alcohol to minors??? So I'm gonna hafta... ask you to put those... back..."
I exhaled. I didn't want to cause trouble. Or make this poor 20-year old wet himself. I put them back. He seemed very relieved. 
Before he could offer a bag type, I just said "Paper," got my stuff, and left. Strapping my groceries to the back of my bike, I rode back home, through the biting cold wind.
I thought about what would happen if I came back without Don's beer. Would he throw a fit? Mom wasn't back, surprise, so she couldn't protect Michael and I.
She was out on a business trip. She kept saying she'd be back "any day now". I hope on the way back, she'd pick up more--
Medicine!
Dang. I exhaled, my breath visible in the freezing cold.I forgot to run by the Pharmacy. I'm nearly out of my meds. They're called Kezantiminafin. Don makes Michael and I take them. He says it's for ADD treatment. I know I don't have ADD.
I hate them.
We take them anyway. Two a night.
Like I said-- he might throw a fit, or hurt us. But even worse, I might have thrown a fit if I did take them. I'd get really awful hallucinations. They'd last about three to four hours. So I'm glad I didn't pick any up.
But Don may get upset with me anyway...
I had gotten distracted. I looked up--
-and I was lost.
What? Where was I? I knew my way around the entire neighborhood in a ten-mile radius. But I had no idea where I was now. How on Earth did I get here.
I stopped my bike. I was in a really... ruined place. I was near the wreckage of an old building. The windows were boarded up, the doors off their hinges, bricks falling out of the walls, debris, moss- this place touched all the gross bases.
It was actually quite unsettling.
A small shudder rippled down my spine. I pulled out my phone to possibly call home-- but then I thought better of it when I saw the time. 1:15. Yikes...
Don would not like him waking up to my voice right now. There's no way he'd try to find me.
Well.
I didn't know where I was. I couldn't call for help. I have no other options.
---
Inside the wreckage wan't as bad as I thought. I'd have to watch my step or I'd be joining Dad in... wherever dead people went. Heaven? Hell? Purgatory? I wasn't sure.
I turned the flashlight on my phone on, and bits of the room were illuminated. A group of roaches swarmed away from me.
Ew.
Wires, pipes, and steel beams crossed over one another on the ceiling above me-- or what was left of it. There were many holes and cracks in the walls and plaster.
The boarded windows still hung strong, though the nails were rusted. Dirt, debris, and dust littered the floor, and I thought I saw... claw marks?... on the floor.
Clutching the groceries to my body, I stepped gingerly over the broken bits of things on the ground. Little weeds grew through the cracks in the floor.
My body shifted so I could sit on a large cinderblock propped up against the wall. I plopped down, setting the food delicately beside my feet.
Aiming the flashlight at different parts of the area, I fished for some food at random from the bag. A chocolate bar. I smiled and opened the wrapper.
As I bit into the candy, I thought about how... nice this place was.
Not physically of course. But... anywhere without Don just made me so happy. The constant reprimanding, complaining, and medicine induced-hallucinations really bring the mood down.
Not to be a drag.
Of course, It was still an ominous place, and I would most likely get lost or hurt or something, but at least I was away from him.
I just hoped Michael was okay. I checked the time. It was 1:57. I was sure he was asleep... I just hoped Don was too. I'd get back when the sun started to rise... I'd be able to find my way when it was lighter out.
Sure. I'd make it. I have faith in my abilities.
I took the last bite of my chocolate, and rested my head on the wall. I leaned back, taking a deep breath in. It was still cold, even in here. But whatever, I had gotten used to it. I guess.
I closed my eyes and breathed in a deep sigh.
My mind wandered yet again, listening to the wind whistle through the trees outside. A thin moonbeam greeted a sliver of ground in front of me once my eyes opened.
I thought about Don's medicine. Why did we have to take it? I knew I didn't have ADD. I told him that... and I paid for talking back to him.
The scars on my arm ached sometimes.
I didn't want to think about how I threw myself in front of Michael, how a shot of pain swept through me, how my brother and I slept in the same bed, crying ourselves to sleep.
I didn't want to remember that.
I decided to think about... better things. My art. I loved to draw. 
I'd draw with my best friend, Lex. She was sweet, but clueless. She never quite realized what was happening most of the time. But she cared. Lex was a very caring person. I was always happy to notice her blonde hair in the hallway, very noticeable even from a distance because a head taller than everyone else. It was something I always poked fun at, but she'd just laugh and blush and get incredibly flustered.
I chuckled to myself. She was a good person. If only there were more people as innocent as her.
She would listen to me rant about Don, and help care for my brother, and generally give me support. Times around her had been more awkward, though. I seemed to be losing touch with her. She had come out to me as bisexual, and eventually discovered she had a small crush on me.
We were both embarrassed.. but things had gotten better since then.
She was still my best friend.
I grunted as I sat up and focused on a small bug, crawling around on the floor. If she was here... we'd joke around and laugh and talk until we got out of this wreck of a place... maybe she'd let me sleep over at her house.
I looked at the ceiling again. I rubbed my eyes, and yawned...
I heard something. 
My eyes darted open, and I sat up quickly. I saw a figure shoot across the room in the moonlight.
I groped around the floor for my phone, getting on my hands and knees to desperately find a source for light. I grasped it finally, fumbling it around in my hands, and then flicking the light on.
I swerved over to the direction the person was, shining light to reveal...
A wall.
I stood up slowly, trying not to make any noise. I held my phone in front of me, quietly walking towards when the figure went. Looking back on it now, I really don't feel like that was the best idea.
But hey, stupid decisions make good stories.
I turned the corner, and I saw the figure at the end of the corridor.
Huh.
It was tall, lanky, and had a... very strange hairstyle.
Huh.
I rose my phone to shine a light at the person... but it flickered out.
Huh.
"H-Hey--" I called out. "Who are y--"
I blinked. It was gone.
Okay. Nope. Wow. That's a big nope. I'm gone. Nope. Uh-uh. See you never.
A sudden surge of late-onset panic flooded through me as I turned around and started to bolt. Forget the groceries, I was SCARED.
I realized, as I was running and panting for breath that my phone was no longer in my hand. Whatever. Better phoneless than DEAD ON THE FLOOR.
What was I thinking? Why did I come in here?? What happens when you die??? Judging by the beast somewhere in the building and my lack of exercise, I'd say most likely.
I tried to run to the exit, but the halls seemed to twist around me. The corridors became a labyrinth of confusion and fear. I didn't know where I was.
In a blind panic, high on adrenaline and desperation, I threw open a door to a random room and dove inside, hoping for a safe space. I heaved deep breaths, clutching a hand to my chest, gasping for air. I swallowed deeply.
I looked up the the ceiling, trying to collect myself enough to manage an escape plan.
My efforts were futile, because all my thoughts were a craze of "OHNONONO NOPE IM DEAD IM SUPER DEAD IM VERY DEAD WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?????????"
I blinked a few times. I opened my eyes, and my breath caught in my throat.
A pair of glowing eyes were staring at me from the ceiling. Followed by another pair, right on top of the other. Then a single eye opened from on top of the four eyes, sideways.
The glow from the eyes illuminated the beasts' body. A pointed nose, an inhuman grin, huge green and yellow striped pointed horns atop the head of the creature. Voluminous black hair strayed across the right side of its head and face; the other half shaved. The head was backwards on the neck. Its skin was a pasty pale. It was clinging to the ceiling with six arms, knuckles white. It was clothed in jeans and a tank top, and the waist down seemed normal, except for the scarily broad legs.
It let go, and fell to the floor, manipulating and twisting its bodily so uncomfortably, so unnaturally, so quickly I could barely even see it.
But it landed on its feet nimbly, and stayed silent for a moment. Its eyes still glowed, pupils darting in all directions. I was paralyzed with fear. In its full height, it seemed over 7 feet tall.
It lumbered towards me, six arms swaying at its sides, careless. It was so close to me. Smiling with jagged teeth. It licked its lips. All five of its pupils were focused on its prey--me.
Every fiber of my being was screaming in fear, shouting at me to run and hide and pray. But I just stood there. I stood there and thought;
'So this is how I die.'
It shrieked into my face, no, ROARED fiercely, hungrily, and I knew that this thing would not hesitate to rip my body limb from limb, or let me have a slow and agonizingly painful death.
Huh.
So I must have taken my meds if I was hallucinating this hard.
I released my breath, relieved, smiling a little. What was I thinking? To believe this was real?
Haha, I felt ridiculous. I laughed a little. My hallucinations were always scary and violent. Why haven't I gotten used to these yet? I must have gotten back home, accidentally taken a HANDFUL of Kezantiminafin, and gone to sleep.
This was most likely some sort of weird fever dream. If not, then, well, I was just hallucinating. I had to find my way back home.
The Hallucination seemed confused my my realization, and screamed at me again. I saw the inside of its mouth-- it was disgusting. I gagged slightly.
Alright. I was going to get out of here. Geez. I was honestly annoyed more than anything.
I turned around, opening the door when the Hallucination yelled "H-Hey!"
The thing's voice was surprisingly feminine, although deep and gravelly as well. I turned back to the thing, irritated. "What?"
"I-- What??-- Do you not see me? You clearly had a reaction to me before, so I don't know wh-"
"Look, I don't have time for this right now." I opened the door and walked out of the room. The building didn't seem so scary now... light was shining through a crack in the wall. The sun was rising. "Groceries, where are my groceries..." I muttered under my breath.
It seemed shocked by my talking back. "You don't h--???" It was suddenly upside down, in front of me, levitating, face inches from mine. "You can't escape you know. I'm quite... hungry."
It made a noise in the back of its throat that would have been scary before, but it just seemed ridiculous now. I ducked underneath it and went on my way. It followed.
"Okay, I don't know how to interpret this. You were horrified of me... and now you're just... ignoring me??? What ARE you?"
Its desperation to figure me out made it even more silly. "I should be asking YOU that." I shot back. "What sort of cluster-thing are you? You're the weirdest thing I've thought up in awhile."
"Your br-- oh, OH! I see. You think I'm not real."
It put one of its six hands on my head. It was cold.
You can't feel hallucinations.
By the process of elimination, that would mean...
Huh.
I looked back up at the creature, towering above me. It grinned.
Now at this point, switching back between fear and relief-- and slight nausea at the spit--  and now realizing that this freakish thing that is touching me is NOT a product of hard drugs would have truly brought someone back to a blind panic of running, screaming, and general chaos.
But not me. I don't know how or why. I guess because had seen things that weren't real that were scarier than this. But even though this-- monster, a creature that had made me run and hide and made fear course through my body faster than light-- I wasn't scared. I stared at it, straight in the face, numb.
Completely numb.
I heard my heart beat, but I didn't feel it. It was as if a switch had been flipped, and I was just in a mode where I couldn't process anything.
The thing's face slowly transformed from proud... to crestfallen, noticing my lack of shock. It's wide smile faltered. "What, you-- you're not... scared? At all?"
I shook my head.
It removed its hand from my hair. "Uhm... well... I???" It gulped, self-consciously drawing its six arms toward its body. "I don't.. quite... know what to do now." It seemed to be talking to itself.
"Uh-uh. Okay. Question."  I said, slightly raising my head.
It had a hand up to its mouth, two hands on its hips, two crossed, and the last massaging its temples. Two of its eyes were closed, two were narrowed, and the sideways one in the center of its forehead just stayed open, unblinking.

"Ah-nah-nah-nah-nah," it said breathily, waving one hand at me. It's voice was worried and hasty. "Not right now kid. Look,-- look I need to make a call, stand there and don't move a muscle. Got it?"
I raised my eyebrows and nodded slightly.
It mumbled a short "thanks" and pulled a tiny metal clip form its back pocket, and held it up to its mouth.

"Heya, Beau?" It muttered, trying to make its call silently, but the echo of the open room just amplified its mumbles.

"C'mon, I need-- no, look, I don't have time to read it right now-- look, I gotta get--no, Beau I SAID--... Beau... I know you did, just please listen... yeah... okay? Need you to get me the Manual. Okay?.. Okay. Thank you." The Creature put the metal thing away.
It stared at me.
"So..." I said. "what now?"

© 2016 Saltyspacerock


Author's Note

Saltyspacerock
This is just a very first-draft-concept-beginning sort of thing-- I hope you like the concept. Please leave a review or constructive criticism, I'm looking for ways to improve! I'll be posting additional parts to it weekly.
--UPDATE--
I have decided to split this into different parts so it won't be a problem to read; link is here: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Saltyspacerock/1769497/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love it, its right up my alley and I think it's going places. To spice things up I would give a name to the pills or change it so that Don is making the children take them etc, it'll add a more logical lead up to seeing demons. I would describe the home life a little bit more, more events leading to going to the store, a little more on the mother, stepfather relationship. I would probably make the girl a bit older to give you more creative leeway because as a reader I expect nothing too terrible can happen to a 14 year old, but a 16 year old? I know things are about to get real in that neighborhood. In the end it leaves me wanting to read more

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Saltyspacerock

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! I'll definitely take the advice into mind. And I'm glad you like it! I'll .. read more



Reviews

Okay, It is very good, but there is one thing that you should do is split this up into three parts. It is really long for a one part story. A lot of people will see how long this is and skip it. but if you split it up into smaller parts, it will make it easier for people to read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Saltyspacerock

8 Years Ago

alright, thanks for the advice! I'll do that.
Haha, there's fanfiction in limbo, I thought this was going in a monster's inc. direction but I really like the concept. There are a few things I would point out but i'm not gonna, instead i'll suggest that if you're reading a book analyze how they structure their sentences and how it can apply to your writing. Also this is a link to an essay written by Chuch Palahniuk (fight club) that helped me immensely with my stuff.

https://litreactor.com/essays/chuck-palahniuk/nuts-and-bolts-%E2%80%9Cthought%E2%80%9D-verbs

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, keep typing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Saltyspacerock

8 Years Ago

it's ok, I'm really glad you like it! thanks again for the advice
I love it, its right up my alley and I think it's going places. To spice things up I would give a name to the pills or change it so that Don is making the children take them etc, it'll add a more logical lead up to seeing demons. I would describe the home life a little bit more, more events leading to going to the store, a little more on the mother, stepfather relationship. I would probably make the girl a bit older to give you more creative leeway because as a reader I expect nothing too terrible can happen to a 14 year old, but a 16 year old? I know things are about to get real in that neighborhood. In the end it leaves me wanting to read more

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Saltyspacerock

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! I'll definitely take the advice into mind. And I'm glad you like it! I'll .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

389 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 31, 2016
Last Updated on April 30, 2016
Tags: Demons, Pills, Nightmare, fear, Eilowy, Beau, Memei

Author

Saltyspacerock
Saltyspacerock

About
I post stories, read stories, want you to read my stories, etc. I hope you like them! more..

Writing