Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Legend of the Therod Knights

The Legend of the Therod Knights

A Story by SamFantasyWriter
"

Hey, if any of you have read a bit of my novel 'The Crystallised Tales' then this is a small backstory to it. I am coming up with loads of ideas. I hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think.

"

This extract was taken from the Book ‘Myths and Legends, Gone But Not Forgotten’ by Bryant Griffith. The book can found in the dustiest part of the library in the Guild of Science and Atmology. Bryant Griffith was not a celebrated man or a professor. Most people considered him to be a bumbling lunatic who whittled on about theories and conspiracies that no longer existed.  He was arrested by the Emperor’s Guard for running round the City of Paciadan screaming “Yunoki is back! Yunoki is back!”

 No-one believed him but later that winter people started disappearing for no reason. King Yunoki later surfaced and started his war. Bryant moved into the forest of Gorbildgrad, he was convinced that Yunoki would be after him. His handwriting was rough and scrawny, difficult to read. He wrote this book in the nine years that he was out there, there is only one copy but it has been read many times.

 

For me to tell you about the Legend of the Therod Knights, I have to tell about the old gods.

There are six. Six main ones anyway.

First we have the God of the Home, Siftnam. He was a humble, elderly and simple man. He is said to walk among his worshippers in brown overalls and a blue underlay. He is a caring and merciful god, helping families out in tight spots.

The Second is the fierce God of War, Timrod. A violent god who is unmerciful and unforgiving. But he was not always like this. His heart was once full of love.

His heart belonged to the God of the Sky, Farley, she was a fair maiden, her long blonde hair flowed in the wind which she controlled. She is depicted wearing an almost see thorough blue dress. Her eyes were bluer than her dress and is said to be the most beautiful creature to have ever lived. Men have fallen at her feet but her heart had one recipient, Timrod.

They managed to keep their love a secret for centuries but they were discovered. Their love was under threat. Timrod felt controlled and restricted. The other gods forbade their love and ordered them to separate. Farley accepted their decision and moved away from Timrod but he couldn’t cope without her. He continued to pursue her. She eventually grew tired of his hassling and battering. In a vicious rage while he was on his knees in front of her, she shot a lightning bolt through his heart. He fell out of the clouds at speed as his heart shattered into a thousand pieces.

The other gods watched as Timrod’s heart was broken by his love.

Aardterm, the God of Nature, shrunk away into the Forest of Gorbildgrad. She was a kind soul and couldn’t bear to watch a man lose his reason for existence. She had short red hair and her dress was knitted from leaves of trees and woven by branches. She was pale-skinned and had brown eyes. Her main worshippers were the ancient civilisation of the Green Elves who are now said to extinct. I explained more about them later on in my pages.

Dagatmare, the God of Sea, easily sat there and watched as his friend toppled from the reaches of the heavens. He didn’t believe in love apart from their love for their worshippers. He could choose to be merciful or vengeful with his powers. He was able to cast a wave a thousand feet reaching to the sky. He is said to ride his glass cart lead by five wave horses through the waves. He only turned away as he felt the thud of Timrod’s body hit the ground. He felt the dirt beneath his feet and didn’t like it and slipped back into the sea.

The last but very much not least is Halal, God of Death. He is the god you face when you leave this world. He has the choice whether to offer you sanctuary in the light realm or curse you to become a Member of the Damned, doomed to walk the land of the living as a soulless, heartless being under the control of King Yunoki. A deal he made after being defeated by the Therod Knights and the Crystallise Warriors. Halal is considered to be a mad god, a cruel and sadistic being. Every hundred years his fellow gods are allowed to overthrow his decision. This century they chose to save Major Augustus Boarwood. He was a celebrated warrior in the Emperor’s army who died at the Battle of Fort Goran.

Anyway back to Timrod. He was cast out of Farley’s life and forced to live without a heart. This caused him to be vengeful, ruthless and unforgiving. He punished his worshippers by destroying villages and towns with fire and rock. He holds a temple just south of the Urbem cliffs in the lower region of the Emperor’s Kingdom. But it no longer stands. The Haidi Bandits ransacked the place, killing worshippers and priests alike. They had no value for the items they took, they just wanted a place to live if you ask me. The Haidi Bandits were said to have one day just sprung out of the ground seeking hatred and violence. No-one really knows where they came from.

Oh I forgot about his heart yes. Timrod’s heart was shattered into a thousand pieces. A young man called Daslom, a man with shoulder-length blonde hair and a stare that would turn girl’s legs to mush, found the pieces and collected them up. He thought they were valuable and that he could sell them. But as soon as he touched one piece, they all flinched, shooting across the ground and coming together, latching onto one another, forming a beautiful red crystal. A voice came from the heavens, booming out like thunder.

“Young Daslom, you are keep and protect this crystal for the rest of your days. It will bring you happiness and love but with it a great responsibility. You are being trusted with the protection of the realm, help those in need where you can, protect those who are weak from the strong forces of evil that walk on the same ground. You must keep this crystal with you at all times”

The voice was gone just as fast as it had come. Daslom was confused and overwhelmed so he took it to his father. A middle-aged man with the surname Boarwood. He told Daslom that the gods have given him a great task to uphold. That he must honour their wishes. The proud father is said to have smiled and said I knew you were destined for great things my son, go and make me a proud father.

Daslom took his crystal to a blacksmith and asked him to construct a blade around it. The blacksmith made a medium length blade that could be attached to anything that the wielder wanted, spear, sword, battle-axe etc. Everyone has their own preference. I am more of a dagger sort of person, stab them in the back and run away. I have never been known for my bravery.

Daslom gave the blade the name of ‘Therod’ which meant ‘responsibility’ in the language of the ancient civilisation of the Green Elves. A full tale of Daslom’s Life can be found in the biography ‘Daslom: A Watchful Guardian’ by his partner in life, Alice Tasmin.

Daslom had no great need to use the blade during his life but he watched over the realm as its guardian. On his deathbed, dying of disease of the lungs, he passed his blade and the responibilty onto his son, Dorian and instructed him to take on the task of protector and do him proud.

Dorian had a tough time as a Therod Knight. He had to fight the raid of the Monies, the uprising of King Yunoki. He managed to assist in the defeating of the dark King at the City of Vosilate in the Battle of the Ruins as it came to be known. Any young boy with an ear for warriors and monsters would have heard that tale. But if you haven’t, then I would recommend you read ‘Battles of Our Time’ by military historian, Lanse Bucker. A great man, doesn’t have much respect for me, but a great man nonetheless.

Once the blade was passed down from father to son, the legend of the Therod Knights was born. The Boarwood bloodline will be watching over for years to come. I am sorry to say that Therod’s whereabouts are unknown since the battle of Fort Goran where the Major lost his life. But he is known to have two daughters, Sophia and Nadia, so who knows maybe the legend lives on……’

© 2015 SamFantasyWriter


Author's Note

SamFantasyWriter
I apologise if there are any grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015
Tags: fantasy, knights, sacrifice, bravery, gods

Author

SamFantasyWriter
SamFantasyWriter

London, United Kingdom



About
Hey. I have always been a creative person throughout my life but I have never been able to write very well. I thought the only way I would get better is by practising so I decided to write a ser.. more..

Writing