Parting disclaimer

Parting disclaimer

A Poem by Samuel
"

This is the opening piece to my newest book “S.A.M.”

"
I know goodbyes usually come at the end.
But I’d like to start this book with one.
I told myself this would by my last venture into poetry.

Now that this book is finished.
I can’t help but feel sad.
It’s a postpartum depression kind of thing.
All of the late night hours I poured into every word, every line, every drawing.
It’s over now.

I can always start another project,
but this one has impacted in a way that I don’t think anything else I can create ever will.
I don’t know where to spill my thoughts now.

I just don’t want this to end.
I want the people I’ve got proofreading it to tell me it’s dumb, that it won’t sell.
Just so I can keep this to myself.
Do I just cancel the release?
Keep this to myself and write a thousand page poetry book?

I guess this is more of a poetry journal in hindsight, but who cares?
What I care about,
Is how scared i am of how this will be perceived.
This is me giving my heart to you.
So give this pile of paper a hug,
then continue.

© 2021 Samuel


Author's Note

Samuel
Tell me what you think, I know my writing still is a little different, a little more raw and straightforward

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I respect your honesty because it's not always easy to reveal the anguish and anxiety one may feel under your circumstances. Writing should never come with that kind of pressure. Then again I myself am not a published writer and for good reason. If my main concern is wondering if the work is good enough to sell then I don't feel good enough in the actual work I did. Art should be a joy to do not a chore. If it's forced is it truly my best? Artists bleed for their work, not out of profit, but from the journey in the creative process. I don't want to add to your already burdened thoughts but perhaps more self reflection is needed as to why you actually choose to write. What I'm saying may sound cliche but it doesn't mean it's not true. Art is the selfless act of liberation. You create something and throw it out into the world hoping that the value of the words find a home in the readers heart, not their wallet. Very few writers are able to put out the best of themselves while also gaining an audience of fans who see value in the finished product. But there is a fine line between art and product which is quite easy to determine in value. Write for the love of writing because if you value money more it may end up reflecting on the work you put out into the world. And not all the money in the world is worth that kind of pressure in anxiety and depression. I wish you well in your endeavors.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Samuel

2 Years Ago

Thank you for the review and I appreciate the comments :) I’ve always written as a way to express .. read more
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Then you don't need our opinion my friend you have your answers already. All you need to do is let i.. read more
Samuel

2 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words :) I really appreciate it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 13, 2021
Last Updated on August 13, 2021
Tags: Poetry, Samuel Plaisance

Author

Samuel
Samuel

Writing
Immature Immature

A Poem by Samuel


Midnight Blue Midnight Blue

A Poem by Samuel