Apparition

Apparition

A Story by Sara
"

a woman captivated

"

She jumped from the safety of her shower and towel dried her hair, not bothering to get to the roots because the humidity would only cause them to drip. The book lying next to the sink shone with a life of its own, but it was not an unnatural glow. No, rather it was the bathroom light reflected back from its glossy surface. Just enough light for her to see the face that she longed to hide from.

            His footsteps were a sound she had expected for years, prepared herself for and  waited in the darkest corners to hear, but ,all the same, they startled her and the apparition caused her to shiver from toe to fingertip as her towel slipped off her hips at the sudden movement.

            A voice echoed in the steamy room, slow and solid and dry, but low and comforting to one who did not know from whence it came. The billows of moisture in the heated air masked the face at one moment, and then revealed it as they passed. He seemed to float in the room like a spirit, but she knew that his spirit was still intact.

She slowly lowered herself to the tile to recover the towel, but his words surprised her.

            ‘Are you kneeling for me, at last?’

            She lingered at the floor for a moment longer, in apprehension as to what his move would be if she stood too soon. Her fingers reached blindly for the edge of the towel. Her eyes were transfixed on his fluctuating appearance. As she began to raise herself against the counter, he moved forward and gripped her wrist, forcing her to drop her protection once again. She closed her eyes in anticipated pain, but her lowered his chin to her shoulder and whispered,

            ‘I knew that you could never change.’

            Her breathing came in short gasps but she quieted herself and stood motionless against him. Her skin was warm and wet, and the moisture was soaking into his clothes. He placed a hand on her belly. Three heartbeats beat through the steam.

            ‘When my son is king, then you will kneel.’ He lifted his lips to her cheek and gave her wrist a parting twist.

            She was freed as quickly as she had been captivated, and searched within the steaming clouds to try to see if he was still there, though she could feel that his presence no longer weighed down on the room.

            A contraction gripped her attention, and she fell to the tiles as the moisture slipped her feet out from beneath her. All she could feel was fear, for surely after the birth, he would return.

 

 

© 2008 Sara


Author's Note

Sara
2nd posting, hurray for restoration!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the plot here... i think you could definitely continue with this. Some editing would probably sharpen the story a bit... but i wouldn't concern myself with that.. take it with a grain of salt. If you decide to continue with this story, i think it would develop quite nicely and I would be very interested in reading more. Nice beginning.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow this one's nice.. neatly done... i wished this was longer... Do you have an idea for its continuation?


Posted 16 Years Ago


I like the plot here... i think you could definitely continue with this. Some editing would probably sharpen the story a bit... but i wouldn't concern myself with that.. take it with a grain of salt. If you decide to continue with this story, i think it would develop quite nicely and I would be very interested in reading more. Nice beginning.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Interesting... I like the way you can feel the woman's fear of this apparition, whoever he is. And I like how the contraction only makes her feel fear, because she knows he'll be back. Does this have religious meaning or background to it?? :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting. I don't think I could add much to it, but it's really good!

I mean, even a ghost likes to see a woman naked! :D

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

omygoodness, yes, continue! i'm really liking this. it kind of reminds me of omen and the antichrist...hmmm...is it sposed to? i love how she knew he would come--intriguing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2008

Author

Sara
Sara

the great plains



About
Hey all Ive been on hiatus for awhile. Hope everything is going swimmingly. more..

Writing
Number 1 Number 1

A Chapter by Sara


Number 2 Number 2

A Chapter by Sara