Intro

Intro

A Story by Sara Mari
"

An Introduction

"

 The woman sat in a strange new house and could not shake the feeling that she was being watched. She looked around and saw no one. The house itself was dark but held no eerie vibe, in fact she thought- it’s quite beautiful. Along the far wall of the living room in which she sat, were windows the length of the walls. She could see the garden engulfing them outside, painted in gorgeous bright colors of pink, red, and purple. They danced and swayed in their freedom, nearly taunting her to join them. On the other side of the room extended a hallway. She stood, and carefully walked through its corridors, not wanting to make any noise or turn on any lights despite the darkness. At the end of the hall was a dimly lit room where she knew the Mistress slept. She peered in, hoping to not be seen. The Mistress laid in bed, eyes closed but not a sound could be heard. 

   Turning back around she glimpsed something beside her, white and fleeting. She looked, and it was gone. She knew she wasn’t alone. There was something, someone else here with her, stealing looks whenever they could. She was uneasy at the thought of it, yet did not feel in danger. She roamed the house, looking for any signs of anyone, to no avail. At last, she fell upon the patio door and stepped outside. Surrounding the patio laid the garden that waved at her through the windows. The moon was bright tonight, it was the Strawberry Moon and it lit the night sky and everything beneath it. She closed her eyes, feeling the breeze surrounding her, the smells of the flowers wafting like perfume. Everything felt so peaceful, so calm. 

There was a small noise behind her and she opened her eyes again. Turning around, she saw two small eyes peeking out from beneath the porch swing. A small meow followed, and slowly a sleek black cat strolled carefully towards her. Bending down she stretched out her hand and the feline came closer. 

   “We aren’t alone here, are we friend?” She murmured to the cat. He held no reply but started to walk away, looking back at her to see if she was following. She obliged. 

The cat stopped at the front door, seemingly waiting for her to open it for them. Upon doing so he slipped inside and she lost sight of him nearly immediately. 

‘I guess it’s time.” She said, and followed suit.

   

   Tari was a young woman, aged 40. She had come to the Great Northwest to escape a life she had never understood, A calling of sorts, she’d felt drawn to the mysteriousness that surrounded the mountains, the water, the unrelenting rains. She knew only that she was meant to be here, drawn by a force she couldn’t explain. And so, she’d come, and she’d found work helping the elderly overnight. A constant scheduling of new homes to visit, new people to assist, a sense of a greater meaning always reeling in her heart. 

   One sense never changed however. A deeper knowledge that wherever she went, she was never alone. Throughout each quiet night, she felt their eyes on her. Sometimes, if she allowed herself to drift too close to sleep on her shift, she’d feel a tug or a looming presence, strong enough to awaken her. Mostly, she pretended she didn't notice, believing in time they would show themselves when appropriate. However, recently the feelings had become more intense, more urgent, and she knew she would need to confront it soon. Regardless of intent, she had begun to sense a shift. They knew she was aware of them now, and that changed things. She wasn’t afraid nor at ease. She knew this wouldn’t be an easy journey- but it would be worth it. 



   Tonight she would introduce herself. Tonight a new journey would begin. Beneath the Strawberry lit sky, in the cold confines of another strange home, she would find the courage to say Hello. 


© 2021 Sara Mari


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on June 25, 2021
Last Updated on June 25, 2021
Tags: Hello, New, Not Alone

Author

Sara Mari
Sara Mari

Writing
Rain Spell Rain Spell

A Poem by Sara Mari