What's better than Nutrigrain in the mornings?

What's better than Nutrigrain in the mornings?

A Stage Play by Sara Boepple
"

A short skit for church use.

"

          

 

Scene: The Johnson household kitchen or dining room. Four chairs are placed around a table, which is set with 3 plates and a bowl. It is morning.

 

Characters:       Mom                          30-ish, warm and friendly.

                        Dad (Ryan Johnson)     Same age as Mom, dressed in a suit ready
                                    to go to work.

                        Emily Johnson             Age about 12, typical kid, with a good heart

                        Jennifer                      Emily’s friend, who stayed over last night while

                          they worked on a school project.

 

At opening, Mom is bringing a baking dish with cinnamon rolls to the table with hot pads and a spatula.

 

 

Mom

Breakfast!

 

Emily

(from offstage)Coming!

 

Dad

(enters) MMMM something smells good. Cinnamon rolls?

 

Mom

Yes, for the girls. You get oatmeal, dear.

 

Dad

Not even one?

 

Mom

Not even one. Oatmeal. For your cholesterol.

 

Dad

(Sighs) OK.

 

Emily

(entering, with Jennifer) Wow, Cinnamon rolls! Great!

 

Jennifer

Does your mom do this every day?

 

Emily

No, usually we just have cereal or a bagel, and stuff.

 

Jennifer

You’re lucky. All my mom ever does is stuff a Nutrigrain into my backpack on my way out the door.

 

Emily

Really?  That’s sad. My mom says breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

 

Mom

It is. Here you go, girls. (smiles, hands them each a plate with a cinn roll)

 

Dad

(to Jennifer) Did you sleep well?

 

Jennifer

Yes thanks.

 

Dad

And did you get your project all finished?

 

Emily

Yup. And it’s great. We’ll get an A for sure!

 

Dad

Good for you!

 

Mom

(hugs Emily and goes to sit down, with cinnamon roll) You both worked hard. We’re proud of you.

 

Emily

(A little embarrassed now) Thanks.

 

Dad

All right, time for devotions. (Explaining to Jennifer) We have devotions every morning. It starts the day off right. Anyone have any prayer concerns?

 

Emily

Our project. And, I have a math test tomorrow.

 

Dad

Ok, prayers for school work and tests.

 

Mom

Your cholesterol, dear.

 

Emily

And don’t forget to pray for the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

 

Dad

(to Jennifer) Do you have anything we can pray for?

 

Jennifer

(bites her lip, then quietly) Could you pray for my Grandma in Ohio? She’s been really sick.

 

Mom

Of course, dear. And for your whole family.

 

Dad

Now our verse for the day, is (reads from a devotion book, or a slip of paper which says) “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”- Ephesians 4:2

 

Mom

That’s a good reminder for all of us.

 

Dad

(smiles) Yes, it is. I definitely need the reminder when I go to work today. There’s some people there I don’t always want to “bear with.”

 

Emily

Yeah, I’m not always very patient. I guess we need to pray for that too.

 

Mom

5 minutes till the bus comes.

 

Dad

Let’s pray, OK? (as the family bows their heads, Jennifer follows a little more slowly)

 

 

Dear Lord, You’ve heard our prayer requests.. Please guide and direct us today, help us to be patient and bear with others in love as You showed us. Bless the girls at school today, and help them to learn as much as they can. Thank you for the soldiers who serve and protect our country, and may they be protected by Your loving hand. Put your healing touch on Jennifer’s Grandmother and all those in need of healing. Bless us all, in Jesus’ name.

 

All

Amen.

 

Mom

Ok, finish up your cinnamon rolls and juice. The bus will be here any minute now.

 

Jennifer

Can I come and stay over again tonight?

 

Mom

Do you have another project to work on, dear?

 

Jennifer

Um, no. Just … .well, if I can’t stay overnight, could I come for breakfast?

 

Emily

Yeah, you could make cinnamon rolls again, Mom!

 

Mom

I can’t promise that…

 

Jennifer

It’s all right, Mrs. Johnson. You don’t need to make anything special. It’s just �" well, I liked, you know, the devotions.

 

Mom

I’m glad, dear. You know, breakfast may be the most important MEAL of the day, but devotions is the most important PART of the day.

 

Dad

Amen to that!

 

Emily

Oh, look! There’s the bus! Hurry! (both girls run off stage)

 

Mom

And PS, Lord… may Ryan’s cholesterol go down, so that we can have many more happy years together.

 

Dad

(Sheepishly, as he hugs mom)  Amen.

 

© 2010 Sara Boepple


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this very much. The point isn't pushed too hard, but it evident. Excellent character development (in so few words, too) of Jennifer. I can see this as a mini-production at any church.


Posted 13 Years Ago


Short, sweet and to the point. This is a good use of words. One of the things I've been trying to learn is word economy while maintaining strong writing. I think you've got a handle on that.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 29, 2010
Last Updated on December 29, 2010

Author

Sara Boepple
Sara Boepple

Fort Worth, TX



About
I'm having a midlife crisis. B.A. in English lit, 1986. That's a long time ago. Spent almost 20 years studying and performing and directing drama with one of the world's most prolific playwrights, an.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Sara Boepple


2 2

A Chapter by Sara Boepple


3 3

A Chapter by Sara Boepple