Through The Fog

Through The Fog

A Story by Caesar
"

A night where normal becomes abnormal...

"
Tonight was the first night that winter actually showed through as winter. The morning had brought great mixtures of snow and rain. We could have done without the rain. Snow yes, but the rain is what often posed the problem. It created that dreadful thing we call, "black ice". I unfortunately had to be victim of the drive in it. Work at gone later than expected and all I wanted was to just feel the satin sheets between my toes. Or even that extra fluff or feathers pressed against my ear. What I would do to be swallowed whole by the over-sized blanket on my bed, that mirrored the contents of a cave.
It took quit some time to get old faithful, a.k.a my car to get pumping. She, as myself did not enjoy being prisoner to the snow. With a couple of jolts and jumps she settled after a few minutes and I was on the path home. Midnight rolled around faster than usual tonight. With all the snow still left behind, it seemed as if I would be on my voyage home forever. This weather that of weather to make a 15 minute ride turn to 30 minutes. To concentrate on the rode I decided to drive in silence. Usually you would hear my music blasting from a mile away. Tonight just wasn't one of those nights. Something felt so much different than any other kind of night. This time the normal was beginning to seem unfamiliar.
Going down the long roads of I-95, moving along with all the twists and turns; I began to feel a bit of an uneasy feeling. Like the first time telling someone you loved them and getting those flutters in the pit of your stomach. That was what I suddenly felt. It was not brought on by joy, but on my the wonders and confusion of my body and brain. No more snow fell from the depths of the ozone, just the thick layer of fog. This fog reminded my of milk first entering a cup of black coffee. The milk engulfing that of the coffee, was my outlook at the fog taking over the view of the road set in front of me. Wanting so bad to turn on my high beams, I hesitated only to be respectful of the other drivers oncoming.
As I took a few seconds to look around, I realized that there weren't any other drivers. No one was crazy enough to be traveling in this. Now deciding to grow for my brighter set of eyes to old faithful, I began to approach a hill. Two inches in front of me stood that great yellow sign, sharing the symbol of the hill and a truck. My lights wouldn't get brighter. Something else broke that I was not too surprised about. I'm sure my stallion had seen much better days. I had to tackle this hill without the help of her extra eyes. Approaching the hill I felt the speed of my car gradually get faster and faster. Even tapping on my breaks I was going from 45mph to 60 in no time! Now I damn near had my foot on the floor from putting so much pressure on the breaks.... But still no response. As I got up to 70, I saw a quick image whip pass my windshield. Too big to be a deer and too small to be a bear. This gave my heart a jump start. It felt like I just guzzled down a six pack of energy drinks and this was the results. This image, the fog, and no breaks. I figured it couldn't get much worse. Then I stopped....
Not even in the middle of the hill where there was level ground. I was put to a holt instantly right at the biggest slopping point of this hill. My foot wasn't even on the breaks. Maybe my prayer to survive this night was answered. It wasn't that time for me. I was unsure if sitting there or going lightening fast was scarier. And my heart still raced. This fog wasn't letting up one bit. It was heavier than before. Who captured the clouds and brought them to earth? My thoughts began to race just as fast as my heart, each trying to catch up to one another. No excitement just fear now. All I wanted was to just go home. That wasn't too much to ask I thought. I lifted my phone from the passenger seat reading from the screen; "No SIM". If you thought I panicked at first, then you wouldn't believe how bad it had gotten. Just then I saw that same huge figure whip pass again.
All doors were looked, but even then I still felt so unsafe. There were thousands of other ways to get into a car other than by door. Let's just hope that whatever this was didn't figure it out. Twenty minutes had to have gone by and I was stuck like a sitting duck; awaiting that crack of the riffle during hunting season. Within two seconds I saw the image 3 times. Back and forth, back and forth. Maybe it was just a deer that was pregnant, so she appeared bigger than average. I never saw one pregnant so I was unsure what that looked like. I imagine a cow possibly? All I know is I was tired of playing with this thing. Finally, I put my car in park, took a deep breath, cleared the sweat out my palms and undid my seat belt. "What the hell am I doing?" Was all I could think of. I knew this was more than my match. No way I would win if I wanted to take it on or if it wanted to come after me. Just a sitting duck. Now or never, so I jumped out the car and darted toward the end of the hill. I couldn't see a thing and my feet felt retarded like they couldn't figure out which of them would strike first. Making it just ten strides from my mysteriously parked car, my legs gave out and I crashed. Falling hands and knees onto the rough rocky road, I instantly felt the pain. As if I fell off my bike into a neighbors driveway. Within in seconds standing in front of me coming from the fog was this enormous creature.
Panting, not knowing what to do or say, I tried so hard to figure out what it was. Even standing before me the thing looked like I was looking from a great distance. If I has to take a height guess, I would say it stood about 7'2". Only a Miracle could save me. Closing my eyes, I felt pressure being applied to my head. It burned like a wound filled of alcohol. What was it doing to me? Pretty soon I wasn't going to be able to think with all the pressure. I had no idea what sound I was hearing but it hurt. Blood from my ears trickled down, meeting in the middle at the tip of my chin, then dropping to the ground. Something felt like it needed to break out of my. It was tearing me apart. This creature continued with its sound and the blood continued to fall. Tonight I prepared myself to die. At times I has that small suicidal thought of me dying, but that was of my own doing. I always had the thoughts of something quick and very painless. Through the fog came this thing. And from it, the creature was ready to claim me. For what reason, I didn't know. I just wished it made it faster...
As soon as I thought that my entire body began to shiver and the creature started whipping pass me like a bat caught in daylight. Round and round it went. Thicker and thicker the snow became. I felt so light headed. This wasn't the normal. One last time it circled around me and stopping once it was back in front of me. It didn't matter now. It began to make its way back through the fog, sucking it up like a vacuum. Think of what they do to a fetus during abortion. When they take the suction and begin removing it from the protection of its mothers insides. My body felt like it had just been suctioned. Looking through the image of my car, I could see myself. I was the look alike of E.T but ten times skinner. Dropping to my side I kept my eyes on myself through old faithful. The fog disappeared and I felt my heart jumping and my breaths getting harder to take. In no time my chest felt so tight I couldn't move a muscle.
Gone, was the fog. Gone, was the creature and myself as well...
It came through the fog.

© 2013 Caesar


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 10, 2013
Last Updated on December 10, 2013
Tags: Fog, winter, scary, horror, spooky, night

Author

Caesar
Caesar

PA



Writing
MY HEART MY HEART

A Poem by Caesar


Love 23 Love 23

A Poem by Caesar


Lyrical Lyrical

A Poem by Caesar