The Year

The Year

A Story by Scott
"

A sequel to 'Serana's Two Admirers'

"
"Welcome to Dawnstar"


Elissa stepped off the boat, examining the small, dinky place. It was a seaport town, and didn't appear very wealthy.
The waters gently lapped at her feet, the crisp, cold air made her very glad for the black woolen cape she wore.
However Dawnstar was not the reason Elissa came to this land, Skyrim.
She had heard rumors through the years, whispers about a wild land filled with dangerous creatures and even more dangerous people.
Of caves filled with treasure, old Nord tombs with ancient amulets of power, abandoned Dwemer ruins loaded with trinkets and strange contraptions.
Elissa had been getting bored as of late, and wanted to see something new.
Besides, wasn't it about time someone gave rumors their due?
She adjusted her pack slightly, it was full of various restraints and several items she had stocked up from Carlotta's shop.


She smiled as she thought of all the new people she would meet.
Well, tie up, gag and rob would be more accurate.


Elissa whistled a merry tune as she looked for the stables.
She wanted to go to Whiterun, as the sailors had informed her that was a good place for visitors to start.
Not seeing a stable, she spotted a carriage nearby and hired the man to take her to Whiterun.


They drove along a faintly outlined road, and Elissa pried the man with all sorts of questions.
He told her about giants, falmer, dragons, a man everyone called "dovahkiin", frostbite spiders, vampires, werewolves.
Elissa was quickly getting bored with all these nonsensical creatures.


"Honey, who would you say is the richest person in Skyrim?" Elissa queried.


"Hmm," the driver contemplated, "I would have to say, Maven Blackbriar, and….." His voice trailed off.


"Who else?" Elissa prodded.


"Dovahkiin." He said hesitantly, yet reverently.


"You mentioned him a little bit ago, who is he exactly?"


"Dovahkiin." The man reinstated, as if saying that would make Elissa understand. Then he added, "He saved our land from the dragon, Alduin."


Elissa giggled, "Sweetie, you tell the most wonderful tales. What else about this 'dovahkiin' should I know?"


He proceeded to tell her about the man's exploits, lavishing on a lot of folklore.
Elissa made fun of every preposterous statement he made, but listened closely whenever a particularly rich discovery was made, or a rare item found.
It really did sound like this person was very rich.


Finally though, Elissa grew bored with the conversation. "How much farther to Whiterun?"


"Not far now, we're actually really close to one of the dovahkiin's many houses."


Elissa perked up, "Many houses?"


"Yes, I will show you when we get close."


Ten minutes later they were passing by a large outcropping of rock.
Elissa was surprised to see a large form underneath it.
She peered closer, what was that?


They rounded the corner and the driver spoke again, "Here is one of the dovahkiin's homes."


Elissa immediately forgot about the shadowy shape and examined the house before her.


It was not overly impressive, she had certainly seen better.
A large, hall-style building, with flat adjacent wings on each side. The steep roof helped make it look a little more fancy, but all in all Elissa was a little disappointed.
She had hoped for something much grander, after all, she had seen many, many fine homes and castles.
Elissa hoped all the houses in Skyrim weren't like this.


"It's not very grand, sweetie."


"Oh, but it is inside, the dovahkiin has much wealth, amethysts, rubies, diamonds."


The man sounds envious, Elissa thought to herself.


She decided to check it out, but first the driver would need to be taken care of.
Elissa smiled as she pulled a coil of rope from her pack.




******************************



I moaned.


One year.


A whole f**king year.


I was stretched out on the floor, empty ale and mead mugs scattered around me in my inebriated condition.


Serana. She had been gone for a whole year.
It had been three hundred sixty-five days since dozens of falmer had broken through my basement floor, incapacitating me and kidnapping the one person who meant more to me than anyone else in the whole world.


I had been a wreck after that, still was actually.
Once I had regained consciousness after the falmer rendered me unconscious, I suited up; Ebony helmet, light Stalhrim chest and shoulder piece, boots, gauntlets.
I had donned my thick, black cape, grabbed my well worn daedric axes, dragon bone bow, loaded up on food and alcoholic beverages and left my house here close to Whiterun.
Heljarchen Hall, was the name.
I left with the sole purpose of not returning until I had Serana safe and sound.


Some joke.


Raiding every tomb, Dwemer ruin, bandit hideout, witch coven, vampire lair, animal den of any kind, forsworn camp.
Every dragon burial ground.


I killed anything and everything that stood in my way.


Looking, searching, seeking. For Serana.


Arrows, swords, claws, fire. It didn't matter what the opponent threw at me, I slew them all.


Nothing.


Once I had gotten very close, raiding an old Nord tomb full of draugr.
I found signs Skeletal Mace had been there, various restraints, rags, (I knew the b*****d loved to go to extreme measures in tying and gagging his victims.), arcane books, various potions and alchemy ingredients.
He couldn't have more than an hour gone, but I still couldn't find him.


Or Serana.


I began drinking heavily, and by now I had a sizeable beer belly, bloated from all the alcohol.
In my depression, I cared not a whit.
I got into more fights, insulting people, cursing, swearing, arguing.
I heard and saw people's pitying looks everywhere.
"See the dragonborn," They'd say, "He used to be a great man, now he's got a mead belly and picks fights with everyone.
All for some bloodsucking vampire. What a joke."


Of course, I never cared what people said about me, but whenever they insulted the woman I had a huge crush on, I started swinging my fists.


Then there were the offers for assistance, always with strings attached.
Ulfric Stormcloak offered to help me if I joined his cause.


I told him to f**k off.
I am a loner, not a joiner. I couldn't care less about politics in Skyrim.
Besides, his men were incompetent, they wouldn't last a day, and if I really would have thought it helped, I'd have taken his offer.


Anything for Serana.


So here I was, a year later, first time back at Heljarchen Hall, actually.


"Lythia! Lythiaaa!" I yelled in a slur, "I neeth somsh boozsh!"


Lydia was my housecarl, basically someone to look after my junk while I'm gone.
She had cooked me a fine meal earlier, bless her. I hadn't eaten much, mostly inhaling large quantities of mead.


I slowly sat up off the floor, why wasn't she answering? Glancing out into the dinning area, I saw four booted feet, kicking hard.
The feet appeared to be dangling from somewhere, the balcony?


What the hell was Lydia doing? Trying to get high?
I laughed stupidly at the thought of the stoic and serious Lydia trying to get a rush.


I squinted, what the hell? I gouged at my eyes, trying to make sense of it.


Was that….moaning?


I started to get up off the floor, then realized that was a mistake as I fell back down.


Way too dizzy.


My eyes were closed when I fell, and I slowly opened them, looking straight up, flat on my back.


A woman leaned over me, staring down into my face.
When did Lydia get blonde hair, and have two heads? Lydia never grinned like that either.


You're seeing double, stupid, I told myself.


The two Lydias pulled out four batons, twirling them expertly.


When did she learn that?


I tried to sit up quickly, but it took a long time.


Lydia stopped twirling her batons, and instead swung them straight at my head.


Everything was in slow motion, the batons slicing through the air, Lydia's smirk, and my hand rising slower than everything else to block them.


"Nnnnoooooooooooo!" I yelled in an uncharacteristically deep, slow voice.


Something hit my head, and I knew no more.



*******************************


Serana desperately bit at the wood bit gag in her mouth. It was wearing thin, and hopefully her vampiric teeth could break through them.
She had worn this gag as punishment for the last several days for an act of defiance against her captor.


Serana tugged wearily at the leather restraints holding her fast to the upright table.
There were straps around her wrists, keeping them at her sides.
After that it was every two inches and there were straps, buckled as tightly as possible, so her clothes barely showed with all the brown leather securing her.
From her ankles all the way up to her neck, with a one to two inch gap between.
She couldn't move at all, and breathing was labored at best.
Whenever she was restrained at this table, the straps were always buckled so tightly they dug into her skin, leaving marks.


She had been Skeletal Mace's captive for a year now, if his taunts were to be believed.
Serana herself had lost track of time, the days blurring into weeks, then months, then finally, a year.
At least, according to him.


She felt herself lose hope again.
Despair would set in for awhile, then dissipate as she resolved not to give up the last freedom she had left: willpower.


Skeletal Mace wanted Serana to love him, and always had, apparently.
The methods he used were the most sadistic she had ever seen.
Since she had made it clear that she had no love for him, and never would, Skeletal Mace's solution had been to hold her hostage until her will was broken.


Sometimes it felt like that might happen, but Serana always remembered Kason.
She knew he'd be tearing Skyrim apart looking for her.
Serana had a formidable will, standing up to her father Harkon, stopping the "Tyranny of the Sun" prophecy. She wouldn't give up.
Problem was, Skeletal Mace kept moving his base of operations, for the express purpose of remaining hidden.
He also fed her a potion called "Angel's Feet" that magically nourished her and stopped regular usage of bodily functions.
It was an expensive potion to make, but it meant he could keep her bound indefinitely.
Serana could not remember the last time she had been free to walk around.
At the very beginning of her captivity, Skeletal Mace had allowed her some small freedom. After she tried to run away, he had gotten very strict.
Now she was kept trussed up all the time. Gagged most of the time.


Skeletal Mace's constant jabbering at her about how she needed to see him for "who he truly was" and that "this was for her best interests."


Anger surged at the thought of those words. How dare he dictate her life!
She cursed, quite coherently as the gag was easy to talk around.
The bit gag was almost worn through.


What would she do after that? She couldn't reach any of the buckles, they were behind the upright table.
Her neck was immobile, however, she could twist her face about an inch from side to side.
The thick leather strap around her neck rested just below her jaw.


But if she could work the gag lose, that would be a start, wouldn't it?
Face it, Serana, she told herself, you cannot move more than an inch, your fingers can't reach any tool, or pick the leather.
Still, getting this ridiculous piece of wood would be a victory, no matter how small.


Exerting all her considerable jaw strength, Serana bit down as hard as possible.


Snap.


The gag broke! Excitement surged through her for the first time in a long time.


Serana worked her jaw, feeling the soreness there.


Right at that moment Skeletal Mace walked in,
followed by two falmer.
The falmer's eyes were an emerald green, a trademark sign that they're under Skeletal Mace's control.


"Serana!" Skeletal Mace exclaimed, like he hadn't seen her in awhile, "How nice to see you again."


Serana flashed her pointed teeth at him, "You stupid, trollish idiot, I do not know how many times I have told you that I. Will. Never. Love. You!" She said all this quite coldly and calmly, than snarled.


Skeletal Mace smiled a ghastly grin, one Serana had grown used to seeing.


"My dear, that is where you are wrong, you will love me.
Vampires live for thousands of years, and you will remain my prisoner, even 'till the end of time."


"Fu-"


"Ah, ah." Skeletal Mace darted forward, clapping a hand over tightly over Serana's mouth, cutting off her curse. "You know I don't approve of that kind of name calling."


Serana fumed, breathing heavily through her nose, trying to break away from the strong grip over her mouth. "Mmrrrfff!"


"I see you broke through your gag, that is a first, especially on the year long anniversary."


Serana's eyes widened, so it probably was true, otherwise Skeletal Mace would not have made such an offhand remark.


She strained in adrenaline fueled desperation against her leather bonds.


They didn't budge.


"I will remove my hand, if you promise not to swear and listen to me."


Serana couldn't nod, but she said it with her eyes.


Skeletal Mace removed his hand. He smiled as he put a finger gently up to her lips.


Serana smirked at him, than bit his bony right index finger off.


"Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!" Skeletal Mace dropped to his knees dramatically, clutching his lost finger.


Adding insult to injury, Serana spat it out at him.
It fell on his lap, as blood gushed around his missing digit.


He looked up at Serana, anger burning in his eyes.


Serana couldn't look down on account of the straps, but she could just make out his eyes.


She laughed sardonically.


Skeletal Mace grabbed his finger and put his back to her.
Purplish energy glowed.


When he turned back to her, his finger was normal.


Serana's mouth hung open in shock. He must be getting stronger in his magicka.


He smiled his skeletal grin.
Pulling out a very large sponge, about the size of a large bowl, that is, a ten to twelve inch circumference.


He held it in front of Serana,


"I need to do something about that loose tongue of yours. Seeing you were a very bad prisoner, biting through your gag."


Serana decided to try a different tactic, she didn't want to be gagged again. Especially not after having just gotten it off.
"Listen, Skeletal Mace, if you really love me, please do not gag me, that way we can converse more.
I am so sorry for biting your finger off, it was the heat of the moment." She tried a dazzling smile, which was out of character for her.


Skeletal Mace smiled back at her, and for a moment Serana thought she had convinced him.
Then he grabbed her lower jaw, taking care to keep out of reach of her teeth.


His slender, bony hands were immensely powerful as he squeezed her jaws apart. "Open wide, my dear."


Serana gasped, "Wai-mmmmfff!"


Skeletal Mace pushed and prodded the sponge all the way in with one finger.


"Bite on that."


Serana couldn't understand how he managed to cram it all the way in her mouth.


She tried jerking her head away, than realized she couldn't with the damn neck strap.


"Mmmrrrggh!" Serana was once again reduced to muffled yells. She tried to spit the sponge out, but it was too big.

"I have some new magic to try on you, my dear. Trust me, you will not be rubbing this gag off.
Skeletal Mace held out a pulsing, gelatinous substance.
He whispered some incantation to the small blob, and Serana's eyes went wide with horror as he pressed it directly over her mouth.


The black blob contorted and contracted, then ozooed over her stuffed lips and mouth.
It followed her jawline as Serana screamed muffled grunts at Skeletal Mace to take it off.
The black substance went around her head, meeting in the middle at the nape of her neck.


Skeletal Mace just smiled.


Once it connected, it formed a solid band from just under her nose, down to below her chin, and all the way around her head.
It shifted slightly, than hardened into a solid black band, immobilizing her jaw.


It felt heavy on her mouth, and were it not for the neck strap she would have to make a conscious effort to hold her head up.


"I wanted a new gag for you, Serana. So I concocted this excellent alchemy substance.
It will remain hard around your mouth until I utter the proper incantation, or pour the solvent I have here." He patted his pocket on his robe.
"Do not worry, it suspends any bodily needs for at least forty-eight hours. Though I am already working on long-term solutions.
Because, let us face it, dear. It will take much longer than forty-eight hours to break you."


"mmmmmm! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!"


Serana's voice could hardly be heard, and a grinning Skeletal Mace leaned forward, pretending to try to hear what she was saying.


"Ahh, music to my ears. Proper justice for biting my finger off." He turned to leave, the falmer following him.


Serana tried yelling, but she couldn't move her jaw.
She thrashed desperately in her bonds, hating the helpless feeling.


Finally she paused, out of breath.


Serana, once a powerful mage and vampire, was powerless.


Rescue or escape seemed a long, long ways off.





**********************************





I slowly came back to the land of consciousness, someone was slapping my cheeks.


I opened my eyes, "Lydia?"


A giggle.


I came fully to, remembering getting hit in the head.


My eyes focused, and I stared at the image before me.


It wasn't Lydia.


A short woman with blonde hair, long and in a weaving braid, stood before me.
She wore a grin on her face as she looked me up and down.
Dressed in a light leather chest piece, with a long sleeve cloth top underneath.
A large black belt held her light colored, linen pants in place.
Long fur gauntlets stopped just short of her elbows.
The woman's feet were shod in fur boots with high heels, white fur trimming at the tops kept out deep snow.
A black linen cape with fur lining kept her warm in the frigid winter.
Her eyes were sharp and intelligent, with a cute enough face, small nose, and brown eyes.


I tried to get up.


Couldn't move.


I looked down.
Ropes and chains were everywhere, from my ankles all the way up to the top of my chest.
My arms were tied tightly to the armrests, and I winced as I moved my fingers.


My hands had been splayed across a wooden spoon and tied individually with wire.
A spoon for each hand. If I tried to move them they started cutting into my fingers.


S**t.


All of this analyzing took place in about thirty seconds.


"Happy you're ok." The blonde woman smiled at me in a bratty way.


I didn't think she looked so cute after all.
"What do you think you are doing?


"Robbing you're place, sweetie."


"If you have any idea who I am, it would be in your best interests to let me go." I said through gritted teeth. "I am with the Thieves Guild, and I'm an expert escape artist."


She laughed at this, "I'm the best thief around. For example, I would have had traps around my house, just in case someone like me showed up."
The blonde thief looked proud, "Name's Elissa, by the way."


"Elissa, untie these ropes or I'll-" I stopped, noticing something.


I was still in my armory, but most of my weapons were-


"WHERE ARE MY WEAPONS!" I roared, they were gone, with the exception of a few hanging on the walls.
How long had I been passed out?


"Welllll," Elissa giggled in a very annoying way, "You've been passed out for quite some time, sugar.
I thought I would help you out by selling your weapons, there's way too many here anyway."


"You will regret this."


"I think you will, sweetheart." She giggled.


"Would you stop calling me sweet names? We're not friends." I fumed, straining against my bonds.


"But they fit you so well." She tittered mischievously.


"How long have I been passed out?"


"For about seven hours, hun." That smirk again.


"Seven hours? What did you do with Lydia?" I tested the ropes and chains, no way I could wiggle out of these.


"I shoved a rune gag in her mouth, it stops all bodily functions, than about twenty minutes ago I switched it out for something more heavy duty.
I was starting to get bored.
You should have heard your stewardess making demands, that made gagging her heavily a pile of fun, sugar.
Don't worry though, she's 'hanging' around."


I peered out into the dinning area, ah yes, I could see Lydia's boots, her bound feet kicking.
Somehow Elissa must have tied her to the balcony.
I couldn't hear her, so I figured she must have been gagged very well, like Elissa said.


"I can't believe this!" Elissa mocked, dancing around the room, "So much wealth! Although money doesn't interest me half as much as a good adventure!"


The blonde thief picked up some expensive elixir I had acquired from some dead evil mage.
She threw it to the ground experimentally. It broke, ozooing its contents onto the floor.


"I'll show you what can happen on an adventure when you mess with the wrong people." I didn't care about the elixir, or even the missing weapons.
My mind went to Serana.
I needed to get out of this and go back to the hunt.


"Honey, you're not getting out of that." Elissa said saucily, "I don't think I could even escape that restraint work."


"Ok, sweetie." I said, deciding to use reverse psychology.
Maybe if I called Elissa sweet names she would get offended and stop calling me by all these endearingly sarcastic terms.


My hopes were dashed, however as Elissa started laughing.
"Honey, you are too sweet! Most people would be cursing me out by now.
Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed."


"Listen to me, you thieving brat, I'm trying to find my friend who was kidnapped a year ago today.
Now, you can either get out of my way, or face the consequences. "


Elissa's brown eyes were full of mirth,
"You are so funny, threatening me while tied to a chair." She sighed suddenly, "I am however, growing bored with this conversation."


On a table, she had a knapsack resting. She opened it and pulled out a grey circular stiff type of….. rope?


"What is that?" I had never seen anything like it.


"This is tape, which I'm going to gag you with."


"You just wait." I said, trying to remain calm, "I'm gonna tie you up so tight that-mmff."


Elissa had darted forward and stuffed a large rag that seemed to appear out of nowhere into my mouth. Grabbing another one, shoved it in with the first, puffing my cheeks out.


I glared at her angrily.


Using her teeth, she pulled an end loose off this so called "tape", quickly yanking her hand away and slathering it over my mouth.


"Idle threats, idle threats," Elissa chanted as she wrapped the sticky stuff around my head.


It was very sticky, some of the stickiest stuff I had ever encountered.
Aside from frostbite spider's webbing, that is.
Now that stuff would harden to the point that I'd have to draw my axes to cut through it.
This smartass woman probably never heard of giant spiders, I thought in irritation.


How did I get bested by such a tiny thief?
I outweighed her by over 150 pds at least, and she might come up my chest in height.


You were drunk, Kason. I told myself. About that, I really needed to lay off the mead.


When Elissa finished, I tried to say something, but only mumbles came out.


I shook my head at her, to which she simply snickered that by now, infuriating giggle I came to loath.


"No one can hear you scream, mighty dovahkiin." Elissa tittered.


I strained against my bonds in suppressed anger, they didn't budge.
Since I was gagged I could not use my shouts, which I just happened to think of.


A little late for that.


I racked my brain, trying to think of a way.
My fire spells might work, but I would burn myself in the process, and I never became adept at destruction magic.


Elissa, meanwhile, sat on top of a nearby dresser and pulled a sweet plum out her napsack, taking a careless bite, spraying juice all over the floor.


None of it landed on her clothes.


"You know," She said, her mouth full of fruit,
"I once got so drunk out in the public plaza I was arrested by the guards."


I looked at her with interest, so the little blonde thief drank mead? "Hmmp" I muttered.


Elissa looked at me, then continued,
"The guards never even knew who I was! They let me out the next morning, not knowing they released a criminal!" She finished boastfully.


Stay calm, I told myself, she's just trying to get you riled up.


I stared at her.


Elissa looked at me, and seemed almost…. disappointed?


She finished her fruit, than lept down and grabbed her knapsack. "For a dragonborn, you're a boring one.
I don't see how a dragon would find you interesting at all.
I mean, you do have a lot of nice things, but money can buy most of this.
On the other hand, maybe you have done some adventures, though you don't seem to be in the best fighting condition, if it-"


"Srfm, grmmg!" I attempted to interrupt her. Only muffled speech, sadly.
Elissa was a big talker, and I looked forward to gagging her once I got free.


"Stop interrupting me, you could not have pulled that off like I did. You're a loud drunk, I can tell."


Elissa smiled that saucy smile I abhorred.
"It was great getting to know you, say 'hello' to your dragon pals for me." She giggled as she left.


I tried to yell after her, but I don't think she heard me.



*********************************



I twisted my wrist, feeling the rope give a fraction of a millimeter.


It had been a little while since Elissa had left, and I was getting nowhere on my restraints.


What to do, what to do.


Then I remembered, I was a damn werewolf.


Being dragonborn meant a lot of things. I have seen a lot on my journeys.
I have learned many, many skills, powers, and spells.
Even so, changing into a werewolf should have come to my mind sooner. Maybe the alcohol was starting to permanently affect my brain.


I only wished I had thought of it sooner. Seeing the look on that bratty Elissa's face would have been priceless.
I wouldn't have hurt her, just scared her.


As it was now though, I would teach her a lesson about getting between me and my hunt for Serana.
Petty I know, with my loved one missing and all.
Though in truth, if it wouldn't have been for Elissa I might still be looking Serana to this day.


I unleashed the spell that turned me into a beast.


The ropes and chains snapped, as bones popped and re knitted, forming huge, sweltering muscles.
My clothes and armor seemed to retract into a black, shaggy, thick fur coat, covering my entire body.
My face became elongated and canine in feature, with sharp, saliva drenched fangs. A moist black nose sniffed the air.
Beady red eyes surveyed my surroundings as my long, clawed hands brushed the last remnants of chains off me.
A roar escaped my muzzle, and I spread my arms wide.


I was a werewolf.


Coming into the kitchen, I spotted Lydia. I had never seen the usually placid stewardess look so angry and…. embarrassed.


She was tied to the railing on my balcony, arms outstretched in a crucifix position.
Her wrists and arms were tightly tied, while her keister rested on the ledge.
Lydia's legs dangled helplessly over the ledge, tied very tightly.
All of the bindings were ripped up bed sheets, of various colors.
Her mouth looked to have been stuffed as mine was, with lots of tape wrapped around it, but there was a bulge where her mouth was.
Ballgag, probably.


She glanced at me. Lydia had seen me often enough in my werewolf form that she wasn't afraid of me.
She nodded her head calmly at me, indicating I should untie her.
As a werewolf I can comprehend things like normal, but I cannot communicate in my native tongue.
Only growls and roars.


Here's where things got a little messy. If I tried to untie her in my werewolf form, I could only slash the ropes, thus cutting her.
That would mean I'd have to revert back to my human form to heal Lydia. After all, I didn't want my good stewardess dead.
The problem with that, is once I morphed back, I couldn't turn into a werewolf for twenty-four hours.
The reason I have to wait so long is the transformation works hell on the body, the magic reshaping of my organs, bones, muscles, even blood is reconstituted.
To put my body through that more than once a day would cause it to burst, as it needs time to magically and naturally heal itself.
Meaning basically, it would take a lot longer to track Elissa without a canine's keen nose.


As it was now the thief's distinctive scent hung heavy in the air.


I took one last look at Lydia, who pleaded with her eyes since that was all she could do, then trotted off.
My sharp ears easily heard her very quiet screams.
Damn, but Elissa knew how to gag someone!


In my haste I ripped the front door halfway off its hinges, then broke into a strong two legged run.


It was the middle of the night, the air cool and crisp.
Stinking hot breath emanated from my maw in the frosty Skyrim night.


I picked up the bratty blonde's scent, and started the hunt.




**********************************



I crept quietly, keeping a wary eye on the campfire fifty yards away.
A solitary figure lay sleeping, or I assume she was sleeping.


Elissa.


I had transformed back into my human form, all my clothes and possessions coming back to me via magical means.
I wore my Stalhrim armor, Ebony helmet, and the thick black fur cape.
I had enchanted the holy hell out of these items, and they were good protection against enemies.


But Elissa.


I knew better than to approach her, remembering her boast about the "traps around my house" spiel.
Elissa probably set them up around her camp, lighthearted she may act, but not stupid.
If I moved much closer she would very likely hear me, as I wasn't dressed for slinking about.


What to do, what to do.


When I thought of it, I smiled.




********************************




Elissa slowly opened her eyes, roused from a deep sleep.
Vaguely irritated that she'd been woken from such a nice dream. In her dream, she had been tying Nalen Kara up, putting the muscular woman in a strict hogtie.
Of course, Nalen had been vehemently spouting nonsense about capturing Elissa and putting her in Alyssa prison, to which the blonde thief had happily stuffed Nalen's mouth with cloth.


But alas! It had only been a dream, and she had woken up.


She had been a thief long enough that her ears were always listening.
Some noise had awoken her. Elissa wasn't worried, though.
There were traps set all about the camp, and just to be safe she had a couple of the stun pellets acquired from Carlotta.


Elissa listened.


Nothing.


Whoever was out there was quiet, or had she imagined it? No, she knew when to trust her gut.


She smirked at the thought of the would be assailant stepping into a trap.


Elissa turned over, clutching her stun pellets.
The fire crackled and popped, it still gave off a radiant glow to see by.
She gave a start as she heard a weird shout.


Suddenly, Elissa saw a clear, transparent form.
She jumped up as the figure moved soundlessly closer.


Without hesitating, Elissa threw one of the grenades at the form.


It went clear through it.


Elissa let out a small scream as she began to sprint. In her panic, she stepped onto one of her elaborately laid traps.
The trip wire snapped and Elissa felt a tightness around her ankle as she was pulled upside down.


Dangling from the tree, she reached for her knife when she felt a hand grab her wrist.


Elissa yelled, than realized that it was a person. She had a hard time making out the form, dangling as she was.
The figure was armored, but with his free hand he removed his helmet.


Elissa stared unbelievably at the face she last expected to see, someone she had left tied up two hours ago in his own home.


"Oh honey, it's you?"


The scarred man grinned at her.




*********************************



"Listen, sweetheart, I'll help you get your stuff back, heck I'll even help clean up the mess I made in your little lodge."


I smirked at as I finished tying Elissa up. "Even when caught, you can't stop talking. Good thing I brought an alternative."


"What alternative?" Elissa seemed a little uneasy, either from the bonds or from the scare I'd given her earlier, both, probably.
The magical shout that turned me into an ethereal form had come in handy.


Elissa lay on the ground, and I was happily piling the rope around her squirming body.
The blonde's wrists were yanked up behind her back and tied in what is called a reverse prayer tie.
Not stopping there, I fastened hemp around her forearms and elbows. It had to hurt, but I think she just winced a little. Tough woman.
She would have been a welcome asset in my search for Serana.
Elissa's ankles were bound already, and I continued fastening rope around her calves, knees, and thighs.
I made her sit in a kneeling position, she tried to headbutt me, but I just laughed as I tied more rope above and below her breasts.


"C'mon, it wasn't like I hurt anybody, it was just a little bit of fun. If you let me go we can pretend this never happened." Elissa turned her head and looked at me so earnestly, if I wouldn't have known better, I would have believed her.


"Yeah, not going to happen. Your bratty self needs to learn that it's far from polite to break into someone's house, tie them up, and steal their stuff."


"Yes, but you're making too big of an issue out of it, dragonborn. I'm merely looking to have a good time."


"Are you patronizing me?" I queried. Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out the large rag Elissa had stuffed in my mouth earlier.


"No, no, no," Elissa said smoothly. "I believe you now, no one should have been able to get out of those bonds."


She could talk really well. In a moment though, that would be corrected.


"I didn't believe the carriage driver earlier, when he-srffm!"



"Uh huh." I grinned as I crammed the rag in her talking mouth. "A lot of jibber from you, it's time for silence. Grey beards are really good at that, and they don't even have to be gagged."


Elissa glared in abject fury at me, I suppose for disrespecting her by not allowing her to finish her sentence.
I pushed the rag all the way in, noting I might be able to stuff another one in.


"Hmmmm," I thoughtfully tugged on my beard, "Seems to me you have a big mouth. I think you could use another one, don't you?"


"Nnmmm!" Elissa shook her head, as she tried to spit her rag out.


"Ohhh no you don't." I pulled another rag out of my pocket, taking my time to make sure it fit.


With the two rags, Elissa's mouth seemed impossibly filled, as she couldn't close her mouth now.
I cut a long, black swath of cloth from her cape, tying it tightly over her mouth and nose.


"Grmmfs, rrgmmpp!"


"Oh, sweetheart," A huge smile broke over my face, using the word "sweetheart" was immensely satisfying. "Who said we're finished? I can't have you rubbing that gag off."
I went over to Elissa's bedroll as she mumbled angrily at me.
Going through her pack, I discovered that wonderful roll of sticky stuff that she'd used on me earlier.


"Here we go," I looked it over, it couldn't be that hard to use.
But where was the end?
My gauntlets have half-finger gloves, so I ran it along the smooth texture of the tape.


"How does this work, sugar?"


Elissa's angry eyes quickly changed to twinkling ones as she glanced at the tape. She shook her head.


I looked down again at it, where oh where- "Yes! Tiny thief, I found it, no thanks to you."


I glanced her way, only to see her squirming towards all the knives I'd pulled off her person earlier. "Oh no you don't, honey!"


Grabbing her, I drug her several feet away, while she kicked and protested the entire time.
Pulling the end loose off the sticky roll, I noticed it had a peculiar smell to it.


"Fmmk ymmf!"


I'm not positive to this day, but I think she cussed me out.
Remembering how Elissa pulled the tape tightly over my mouth, I did the same.
I did several loops around her head, then cut it off with my knife.
I proceeded to put her in a hogtie, by tying a rope from her ankles to her chest ropes.


"Frrk mmmfpp. Mrgm mfdr." Elissa's eyes were angry brown orbs, promising me revenge.


"I imagine that tape comes off very hard.
You're probably wondering why I don't comment on how much it hurt to take the tape off." I leaned in close, "Trade secret."


More muffled shouts.


"I think you need to be a little quieter, tiny thief."


A shake of her head did not dissuade me as I pulled another rag, this one quite a bit smaller, bunched it up into a small lump and placed it directly over her taped mouth.
Using the tape roll, I fastened the cloth in place, this time going around her head a dozen times or so.


"mmmmmm! mmm, mmmmm!"


"Much better." I checked her wrist bonds, she couldn't reach any knots, but I decided to be careful and tape her fingers anyway.
I taped the knots for good measure, overkill maybe, but I didn't want this slippery one to get loose.


I casually sat down on a stump, pulled an apple out of my pack and took a huge bite,
"You know," bits of apple flew from my mouth, "Did I ever tell you about the time I was invited to join the thieves guild?"


"ffmmm" Elissa's nostrils flared as she exhaled air angrily through them.


"It was a rhetorical question, sweetheart." I smiled as Elissa's cheeks flushed.


I proceeded to tell yarn after torturous yarn, while she squirmed and fought her bonds.


I finally stopped with my stories and glanced at her. "We were having a good talk, but you keep squirming around, you're not getting out of that.
I'm not taking you to the authorities either, as you would probably escape their cells without a problem.
I can think of several places to take you, what do you say to that?"


Elissa shook her head, growling into her gag.


Probably wondering how this came about and what would happen after this.


I yawned, and began spinning another story about some dragon I fought.
At about halfway through the story, Elissa began frantically screaming into her gag, twisting this way and that, as she struggled to get her point across.


I ignored her, as she had been making noises earlier.
Something didn't feel right though, and I noticed she was looking behind me.


I felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, as I turned my head, to see a giant pounding his way towards me, huge club raised menacingly.


My mouth dropped open, but thinking quickly I scooted forward, grabbing Elissa as the club smashed right where I had been standing.


Three more giants stepped out of the woods.


Then I noticed it. Their eyes were green.


The giants formed a circle around Elissa and I. The blonde thief seemed paralyzed with fear.
It couldn't be a good feeling, not able to move and seeing giants for the first time.


Hesitating, I drew two iron swords, flimsy things against such big creatures, but thanks to the thief here, I didn't have my favorite kick a*s war axes.


I knew we were going to die. I had never taken on four giants at such close range, it would be as easy as scooping out their mammoth cheese for them to crush both of us.


Still, I would die fighting. I prepared to send one of them flying back with the unrelenting force shout.
Then a fifth giant, bigger than the others, came out of the woods, joining his companions.


They all raised their clubs in one motion.


"mmmm!"


"Oh fu-"


The clubs slammed down on the hard earth, and a resounding crack splintered the ground as it gave way.


Instead of falling several feet down and being covered by dirt, we rolled down the landslide and into a hollowed out cave.


I had grabbed Elissa, dropping one of my swords in the process.
We rolled together down the steep incline, and it seemed my back hit every protruding rock, jarring me horribly.


When we finally came to a stop she landed hard on my beer belly, knocking the breath from me.


"Whoooo," I wheezed, as I callously pushed her off.


She mumbled something, but I couldn't hear her.


I flipped onto my stomach, looking up for the giants.


Instead I saw falmer rapidly descending on us from a medium sized tunnel leading deeper into the cave.


Not good.


Their green eyes were unseeing, but they didn't need them, their other senses were rendered to their highest sensitivity.


Instead of killing us, however, they brought two long poles, picking my unresisting body up, the falmer bound my hands and ankles to the pole, stretching me out as they picked it up.


Elissa hung from the other pole by her chest harness and ankles, facing downward.
Her blonde ponytail was a tad dirty, and she twisted and fought helplessly against her restraints as she was lifted into the air.


I for one, did not fight it. Luckily I had a backup Orcish sword strapped to my back, under my cape.


As we were carried side by side into the tunnel, which was lit by an occasional torch, I relaxed for the first time in a year.
Falmer couldn't see, but Skeletal Mace could, combine that with the green eyes and I knew where we were going.


Elissa glanced over at me, terrified by these strange creatures. A confused look came over her as she saw my at ease, almost happy expression.


I grinned at her, and she frowned hard at me, those cheeks flushed with anger again.


I puckered up my lips, and blew her an invisible kiss.


A dead cold, furious glare told me I'd pushed her buttons, as she had done to mine.
Elissa stared daggers into me.


"That's for getting us here, honey."


Elissa's response was mostly lost in the soft, soft patter of the falmer's feet. I did hear the tail end of it.


"-mmmm, mmmmmmmm!"


"Honey, I can't understand you. But if you're wondering, why the air kiss? It's simple, really. You robbed my place, I followed you seeking revenge, and if that wouldn't have happened, Serana would still be missing!
I would gladly cut you loose if I could, but we need to find her first. Besides." I smirked, "You don't mind the flexibility lessons, do you?"


She shook her head saucily and in irritation, seeming to rebound after I let a hint out that I had a plan.
She still eyed me distrustfully, though, and I knew we'd have to come to an understanding.


After awhile, we came into a large chamber, dimly lit with torches hanging on the cavern walls.


My eyes slowly adjusted as I worked my hands loose. The falmer weren't the most knowledgeable in knots, and I was part of the thieves guild.
There were several old pieces of furniture, an alchemy bench, barrels, odds and ends.



The falmer had set us down, going into another chamber.


I stood up, free from the ropes.


Elissa looked at me, with an expression that suggested I should untie her.


"I'll untie you, but first promise me that you'll help me get Serana back?"


Elissa nodded vigorously. I figured she was lying, but knew I didn't have a choice.


I reluctantly began cutting the ropes, intentionally leaving the gag for her to take off.
No sense having to listen to any more smart aleck comments than I have to.
I used the Ebony dagger that was Serana's. I had been carrying it around since her second abduction.
I noticed Elissa eyeing it.


As soon as her arms were free, Elissa began unwrapping the huge gag I had so happily given her.


While she tugged the sticky tape off, I examined the room some more, slowly going over everything.


I heard a soft moan.


It sounded like it was coming from behind a large stalagmite over in the corner.


Heart in my throat, pulse pounding in my ears, I followed the sound of the very faint noise.


I gulped, suddenly more nervous than I had been in a very long time.



Coming around the corner, I spotted her.


My knees felt weak, and they threatened to collapse on me.


Serana.


She was strapped to a portable upright table, and could barely move her head.
She saw me, though, and the way her normally calm, placid red eyes lit up when she saw me, I'll never forget it.


She gave a happy moan, straining against the leather restraints.


"Serana," I gasped.



I was about to rush over to her, when I heard another noise.


A guttural growl.


I whirled around, Elissa was standing somewhat shakily on her feet, her muscles were probably still cramped from being tied up.


Three falmer had entered the room,and Elissa drew her batons with trembling hands.


I drew my sword off my back, and gripped it with two hands.


"Get back, little thief." I said, trying to help her out.
My tone must have sounded condescending, because she threw a baton expertly into a falmer's skull, reached into her pocket, and threw something at the chest of the third one.


When the baton hit, it staggered the front falmer, knocking him into the middle one.
When the small object hit the chest of the last falmer, he lurched forward, and they all touched.


To my amazement, all three began twitching spasmodically, falling to the ground.


I moved forward, raising my sword, when I felt a small hand on my arm.


I looked down.


"They're unconscious, let them be." Elissa said.


"Ah, so the thief has a code." It was an impressive move, so I decided to let them live. "I respect that, thief."


"My name is Elissa, honey." She smirked.


I shook my head in bewilderment. She continued to be full of surprises.
She'd been close to death, yet seemed to bounce right back.
That "honey" business would have to stop though.
Before I could say anything else, more falmer rushed in, eyes an emerald green.


Elissa picked up her fallen baton, "No killing, for me, anyway."


"Not for me," I swung my sword at the nearest falmer.


We fought, back to back, as more falmer poured in.


Elissa was just as effective as I was, with spin kicks, and in general cracking those batons of hers with true skill.


"You know," I shouted, thrusting my sword through a falmer's chest, "You would make a good addition to the thieves guild in Riften."


Elissa slid between two falmer, rapping them both on the head without looking back, "I work best how I am, hon-"


"Let's make a deal," I kicked one falmer into two, knocking them back. I cut the arm off another one. "I call you Elissa, not tiny thief, and you call me Kason."


"Ok, sweet-, I mean Kason." Elissa grinned recklessly.


We were taking them down, but more falmer were pouring in, however, and I noticed a group gathered where I had left Serana.


They parted, pushing the portable table with Serana still strapped to it.
She squirmed desperately in her bonds, and I noticed Elissa stopped fighting to watch.


This couldn't happen again, no, I wouldn't let it happen again.


Over my dead body, which I've said before, unfortunately.


I turned back to fight, and they moved Serana into the next chamber.


Damn it.


I fought with renewed vigor, and used my thu'un, blowing a dozen or so back.


Elissa tried not to look impressed, but I think she was.


"Why didn't you say your friend was in this deep trouble?" Elissa asked.


"I did! You weren't really listening, were you?"


Elissa smirked, and we pushed on, fighting our way down the tunnel.


Either dead or unconscious falmer littered the ground behind us.
I decided Elissa must have seen some stuff in her day, because I didn't see how she handled the falmer as good as she did.


We came into the second chamber, and I stopped short.


This second cavern was bigger than the first, roughly a hundred and fifty feet or so.
A gaping hole, thirty feet in diameter, was in the center of the room.


Hanging from a chain, directly over the hole, was Serana.
She was still trapped to the table, which looked heavy to be fastened with one chain. A wooden pulley loomed over the hole, where the chain ran through it and back to a wooden platform.


Sitting on the platform, looking smug as ever, sat Skeletal Mace.
He was still as freakishly thin as ever, his gaunt, bony face widened into his trademark skeleton grin.


"At last, at last. Do come closer, Kason, this has been a long time in coming."


I kept my distance, "Let her go, Skeletal Mace, the game's up."


There were only a couple falmer, it would be easy enough to take them out.
Serana wasn't moving much, probably worried about it snapping and her plunging into whatever was at the bottom of the pit.


I glanced worriedly over at her.


"That is where you are mistaken," Skeletal Mace waved his hand in a grandiose gesture, "I knew you were coming, and you have an ultimatum." He rested his hand casually on a lever,
"Either throw yourself in the hole, or I'll pull this lever, sending Serana down. If I cannot have her, then you surely won't."


Serana tried to shake her head at me, attempting to scream "no."
She could not do either.


I looked at her, concern showing on my face, I'm sure. Then I glanced around. Elissa was gone.


Damn.


On my own. Except, I wasn't sure how to handle this.
I had no bow, thanks to the bratty thief. No way to reach Skeletal Mace.


"Do it" The man who had held Serana captive for so long, was now truly in charge of my fate.


There was no way I'd let him pull that lever. I would rather die than let her get hurt.


Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a head of by now messy blonde hair. The figure held something in her hand, and was positioned just off to Skeletal Mace's right, not quite in eyesight.


So she hadn't left.


Keep him talking, and get him away from the handle, as I imagined Elissa had one of those stun pellets from earlier.


"You've always been a weak willed man, Mace!" I shouted.


"Do not dare to insult me in my domain! In front of my subjects." The vampire's anger was rising, but he remained seated by the lever.


"Ha! You call this a domain, you fool? A hundred falmer and a woman you've kept in bondage? I've slain greater men than you, hell Harkon was harder to kill."


"Why, I-" Skeletal Mace paused, than smiled as he regained his composure, "You are baiting me, are you not?"
He stood up, "Tell your little blonde friend to come out, so she may join Serana and I."


Serana let out a well muffled curse.


Skeletal Mace looked at her.


I made my move, "Now!" Leaping into the air as Elissa threw her stun pellet, I shouted the whirlwind sprint shout, flying into Skeletal Mace just as the pellet hit him.


We both hit the ground, shaking with the static shock.


When it subsided, I straddled his chest, and took out the whole year of fury, of fruitless searches I had done.


I stood up over Mace's bruised face and semi conscious form, and made my over to Serana.


Elissa had swung the crane over, set the upright table down, and began unbuckling Serana's restraints.


I helped Elissa undo the leather straps, and for once, we weren't making jabs at each other.


Serana fell from the stand, but I caught her, cradling her in my arms.


"It's great to see you again." I smiled.


"mmmmrrmff"


I had forgotten about the gag. Serana pointed at Skeletal Mace, but Elissa held something up, a small vial.


"Is it this?" The blonde thief asked.


Serana nodded.


"How did you get that?" I asked incredulously.


"Well," Elissa tossed her blonde braid sassily, "While you two were comparing egos I snuck up behind him, and picked his pocket, I was on my way back when you noticed me. I figured whatever was in his pockets might come in handy." She smirked.


"You were going to leave, weren't you?"


"I guess you'll never know, sweetheart." Elissa snickered.


Serana looked at me, confusion on her face.


"It's a long story, honey." I said. Serana looked surprised, but still couldn't talk.
I smacked my forehead, Elissa's habitual sayings were rubbing off on me.
I used the vial to break the enchanted gag, then gently pulled the huge sponge that had been filling Serana's mouth.


"Oh, Kason," She said, her voice creaky. "You don't know-"


"It's ok, Serana, you're all right now."


To my surprise she broke away from my embrace, to look at the vampire who had tortured her for so long.


"We need to finish this." Serana grimaced.


Skeletal Mace was on his feet, and he was already beginning to focus his magica.


I grabbed him and hauled him over to the edge of the deep pit.


"Any last words?" I asked through gritted teeth.


"We should put him in some indefinite bondage, I know a few tricks." Elissa said. I could tell she was uncomfortable with what I was about to do.


Skeleton Mace opened his mouth to say something, but before he could reply, Serana came up behind me and kicked him in the chest.


Skeletal Mace was yanked from my grasp as the momentum sent him down.


A soundless scream escaped his lips as he fell rapidly out of sight.


We all stared at the hole.


"What's down there?" I asked Serana.


"A giant frostbite spider. He'll survive the fall, the spider I'm not so sure."


"Honey, we should have trussed him up like he did to you." Elissa looked at Serana.


"He's not dead, trust me. That spider will probably wrap him up, and keep him there for a very, very long time." Serana countered.


"ENOUGH!" I shouted, "Let's get the hell out of here."




*********************************



We were at Heljarchen Hall, right outside the front door.


Serana rested her head on my shoulder, and Elissa leaned cockily against the house.


"I guess I owe you a thanks." I said ruefully. "In a disastrous sort of way, you helped me get my ah, friend back."


Both women laughed at this.


Elissa smiled at the two of us, "I guess you two are going to be ok."


I looked at Serana, and she stared back at me.


I leaned in…. then thought better of it.


Not in front of… Elissa was gone.


The short blonde thief had simply vanished.


Well, good luck to her.


An hour later Lydia was freed, and the house had been put halfway back together.
Serana and I sat at the dining room table, she had eaten quite a feast, and looked sleepy, as dawn was breaking.


I grinned, thinking about giving the Ebony dagger back to her.
I felt for it on my side belt.


It wasn't there.


"You gotta be kidding me! That brat!"


"What?" Serana looked at me with concern.


"Elissa stole your dagger! I saw her eyeing it, but I would have felt-"


"It's ok, Kason." Serana was suddenly at my side, she leaned in close, "You can always make a better one."


I decided to let it go. After all, Elissa had helped me find Serana, and that mattered most.


Let the blonde thief continue her adventures, Serana and I had a lot of catching up to do after a year's absence from each other.

© 2020 Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on July 5, 2020
Last Updated on July 5, 2020
Tags: fantasy, skyrim, serana, vampire, kidnapped, dragonborn, saving, hero, villain, supernatural