The World's Worst Genie

The World's Worst Genie

A Story by Scott Andrews
"

Imagine finding a magic lamp, only to discover that the genie inside was horrendously incompetent.

"
"You are the worst genie ever!"
"What?  Why?
"I said dessert.  Dessert.  Not desert," I couldn't believe it.  There was I hankering for something sweet and decadent and instead I was in a sweltering desert.  "Is there a manager I can speak to?  Can I take that wish back?"  I could see the hurt on his blue face.
"You could always make another wish..."
"And trust you to get it right?  No chance.  If I'd ask you for a million pounds that will probably be what I end up weighing," the sarcasm in my voice stung the genie so much that he went back inside of his lamp.  "Thank god for that," I muttered as I tried to get my bearings.  All I could see was sand and sunshine.  It was if I had ended up on the worst package holiday ever.

It felt like days but it probably had only been a few hours.  I had tried to pick a direction and stick to it but it seemed impossible given that everything looked the same.  My throat was drier than a camel's sense of humour.  I could feel the sunburn taking effect.  There was only one thing I could do it if I didn't want to die on a sand dune.  I rubbed the lamp three times and nothing happened.
"Genie, I've summoned you," I said aloud, feeling foolish.  "Genie!"
"There's no genie here," said a voice from inside the lamp, "I've retired."
"I'm sorry about being short-tempered with you.  Come out.  I'm dying out here."
"There was a puff of smoke and suddenly I was face-to-face with my incompetent genie.  Looking back I wish I would have asked him why he was a blue.  Maybe he was going to a fancy dress party as a smurf.  He hovered in the air in front of me, his arms folded and his brow as creased as an origami hippopotamus.
"I am the genie of the lamp, I grant..."
"Yes, yes, we've done that already," I interrupted.  I could feel the blisters on my skin.
"Fine," said the Genie, "What do you want then?"
"I want to go home."
"But I thought I was the worst genie ever."  He had me there.  As angry as I had been, I felt as if my entire body was melting.
"I'm sorry for saying that, I didn't mean it."  He smiled at me, his mouth the size of half a watermelon.
"Ok then.  Now what was it you wanted?"
"I want to go home," I replied, trying to hide the tired frustration in my voice.
"Say it properly," said the Genie, clearly enjoying teasing me in my sunburned state.
"I wish was at home," I replied defiantly.

I should have know really.  A genie that had already made quite a serious blunder.  I really should have known.
"Oh for goodness sake!"  I shouted when I realised that I had a long, grey beard.  There was a pond in front of me.  I looked at my reflection and saw a tiny man looking back at me, with a pointy red hat.  "Genie," I cried, "I said I wish I was at home, not I wish I was a gnome!"

© 2023 Scott Andrews


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

(laughing) This reminded me of a Christmas card I got one year from a friend that showed Santa Clause and his sled crashed into an outhouse with crap everywhere, the caption read, "D****t, Rudolph, I said SMITH house!" The read was enjoyable and funny. Those misheard directions can have catastrophic consequences.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

I used to love watching Benny Hill on BBC and "Are You Being Served". Those were two of my favorites.. read more
Scott Andrews

1 Year Ago

The BBC once was a hallmark of greatness. The Two Ronnie's, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, T.. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

I introduced my wife to "Are You Being Served" and she watched every episode in a marathon! Benny's.. read more



Reviews

(laughing) This reminded me of a Christmas card I got one year from a friend that showed Santa Clause and his sled crashed into an outhouse with crap everywhere, the caption read, "D****t, Rudolph, I said SMITH house!" The read was enjoyable and funny. Those misheard directions can have catastrophic consequences.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

I used to love watching Benny Hill on BBC and "Are You Being Served". Those were two of my favorites.. read more
Scott Andrews

1 Year Ago

The BBC once was a hallmark of greatness. The Two Ronnie's, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, T.. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

I introduced my wife to "Are You Being Served" and she watched every episode in a marathon! Benny's.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 4, 2023
Last Updated on March 4, 2023
Tags: genie, humor, absurd, funny, silly

Author

Scott Andrews
Scott Andrews

United Kingdom



About
Writer, Novelist, One third of the synth pop band YU, Dog Nerd on the Talk2thePaw podcast. more..

Writing