A Prince Edward Island Evening

A Prince Edward Island Evening

A Story by Scribblerlarry
"

A delightful place to be!

"

Prince  Edward  Island Evening

This rainy, blowy, day of incredible humidity, 94%, became, as the clouds swept out to sea and the evening sun snuck in under the heavy branches of huge maple trees, absolutely perfect. The temperature dropped, dropped again, and settled at magic 13°(55F). Mint on the skin. The devilish humidity, having tired itself out sucking the very breath from my tired old lungs, slipped slowly down to 72% and the air became breathable.

Venturing out into the 48-kph(25-mph) fresh ocean breeze refreshed me as nothing had done all day. I’ve left the front and back door open now. Bits and pieces of that breeze slip quietly down the hall, through the kitchen, and on out the back door. A few tendrils of it slip into my library/writing room and tickle my freshly shaved head. Cool. Nice. They don’t stop to play but move on to meet the stream they left before it reaches the outside darkness again.

This is when I know why I live here. It may be only a few times a year but it is pure, sparkling aliveness for a moment - maybe two. Champagne after a long spell of lager. My envy of those who live in the sunshine of southern climes drops to nothing and I wish that I could share this with them. The advent of autumn has no strength in the south. It is hardly noticed, if at all. Just another time under palm trees beside a true and constant warm ocean.

Autumn here is crisp - almost crispy. It tingles the nerves of the epidermis almost like bubbles of sparkling wine do the tongue. One can lean into autumn here. Sip from it. Nibble at its edges. Lick its coolness. And taste in it a faint, faint hint of the winter to come; a taste with an edge to it, not yet sharp but knowing of sharpness. 

And I am content.

© 2013 Scribblerlarry


Author's Note

Scribblerlarry
Critique everything please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I live in South Texas, and I don't envy those who live in a colder climate, but you make it sound most inviting.

I've been to PEI, but in may, I believe. It was beautiful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Marie

10 Years Ago

Forgot to mention--you mean "champagne," I think, and not "Campaign." WHich would certainly give the.. read more
Scribblerlarry

10 Years Ago

Yup - champagne it is!
It is lovely to hear that someone loves the place in which they live ... and gives us the reasons why .... I would like to come and join you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 31, 2013
Last Updated on December 31, 2013
Tags: Retirement, late summer evening, autumn breezes

Author

Scribblerlarry
Scribblerlarry

Canada



About
Crotchety old man. more..

Writing