The Ex

The Ex

A Story by Joan Davis

Finally, it was time to go home. It had been such a long day. Nicole was only scheduled from 9-5, but ended up staying until 7. She was in college. A full time student. But on the weekends she worked in a department store. She hated customer service. The customer is not always right. And they are usually downright rude. However the mind numbing work was a welcomed escape from her heavy course load. She was in her final year of earning her masters in American History. She was accepted into a PhD program in CA and could not wait to begin. Ever since her grandfather introduced her to the JFK assassination as a kid and all the stories surrounding it, she couldn’t get enough. Once September came around she would be in San Diego living her dream of finding her place in academia as a professor and historian.

Her day dreaming made the walk to her car in the parking garage go by much faster than normal. She checked her phone before she got in her car. 10 missed calls. Jesus. Her boyfriend Chris, well ex- boyfriend would not let up. She broke up with him yesterday and he texted and called her relentlessly since. He made his choice. He liked Nicole, but he liked Lexi more. Or at least he thought he did. Nicole was not into giving second chances in that department. Another incoming phone call. Ignore. Nicole smiled at the satisfaction of knowing she was irritating him. She put her bag on the passenger seat, phone in the cup holder, turned on her favorite radio station, and began her commute home. She was expecting a text from her friend Emily. She was going to come over and watch a movie that night.

About 10 minutes into the ride home, Nicole’s phone made that familiar vibrating noise. BrrrrBrrrrBrrrr. She picked her phone up, eyes on the road, and glanced down when she felt it was safe to do so. She could multitask. It wasn’t like he was taking selfie while driving. She had actually seen that several times. She glanced down. It was a black pic from Chris. He must have butt dialed her or something. Idiot. About 5 minutes later, BrrrrBrrrrBrrrr. She glanced again. Same thing. A fuzzy, dark pic from Chris. It was kind of funny how dumb he was. Nicole laughed to herself. She couldn’t wait to show Emily later how clueless he was, and they could laugh about it, and how much better off she was with out him.

5 more minutes went by. Nicole was just about two minutes from home now. BrrrrBrrrBrrr. She looked down. This time it was a darkened picture of Chris’s face. It was really shadowy, but it was his face. WTF Nicole said to herself. His expression was off. Stoic, but something sinister about it sent a chill down Nicole’s spine. She pulled into her driveway and shut off her car. RINGGG RINGGG RINGGG. Nicole jumped. It was just an incoming call. Emily. Nicole swallowed hard and laughed at her jumpiness. “Hey, I just got home. Chris keeps texting me these weird shadowy pics by accident. Idiot. I’ll show you later.  I just want to get inside. Ill call you back in a few minutes. K. Bye.” Just as Nicole ended the call, another text came through. Chris again. This time the pic was easier to make out. Nicole’s body tensed up. Her heart dropped. It was the back of her head. A hand covered Nicole’s mouth just as she was about to scream... 

© 2016 Joan Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You caught me good. I was expecting something like that he had your character's credit card. Well done. Keep surprising us!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I do enjoy the slow buildup of suspense here. Not bad at all, keep up the good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


You're an amazing writer. Keep it up!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I really enjoyed it. I almost wish I could be critical since this is my first review but I really loved that.

You have one typo:
"WTF Nicole aid to herself."

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 11, 2016
Last Updated on December 11, 2016

Author

Joan Davis
Joan Davis

MA



About
New to posting my writing. In my spare time I also enjoy painting and drawing, photography, hiking, cooking, and anything to do with music. more..

Writing
Hide and Seek Hide and Seek

A Chapter by Joan Davis


The Discovery The Discovery

A Chapter by Joan Davis