The Final Goodbye

The Final Goodbye

A Story by SeismicTurtle
"

A glimpse into something that will be released in the near future.

"

The Final Goodbye


  

The party was being held on the observation platform of the Olympus Mons Skyscraper. He walked through the large glass doors into the building’s garden terrace.

It was illuminated by a consonance of moving lights.  Below the canopy of hanging plants and trees, a small winding pathway hosted a ball of dancing shadows caused by rustling leaves. His heart stopped when he saw the silhouette of a familiar figure walking in front of him. He watched her walk down the path towards the edge of the garden. The shadows greeted her by gliding down the delicate curves of her back. He followed after her in a trance.

                After exiting the tree canopy he was taken aback by the radiance of the moon, and even more so by how its jeweled surface paled in comparison to her skin. He approached her from behind while nervously adjusting his cuff links. She turned her head causing her long blonde hair to sway to the side.

                He walked up next to her and rested his arms on the railing of the skyscraper’s terrace. The view of the millions of lights of the cityscape was extremely dull in her presence. She put her hand on his arm and lifted it as she nestled herself into him.  He slowly slid his hand down the open back of her gown until his hand rested just above her hips.

                “I never expected the end to be arranged in such exquisite splendor,” she said.

                “In a way it’s cruel,” he said with a pained expression. They had already said their goodbyes. This was an unexpected meeting.

                “It would be a shame not to elevate ourselves to the occasion,” she said as she turned her head. He looked into her blue eyes and leaned down to kiss her. Their lips met, and in that moment time became relative to the force of their love.

                At long last they severed their physical connection. Never before had he seen tears fall so elegantly from a person’s face.

                “I’ll always love you Ariana. Till the end of death…” He said while gently wiping away her tears.

                “Please, don’t be angry at me for coming to see you one last time. I know it’s selfish on my part for making things more difficult for you.” 

                Tears streamed down his face uncontrollably. He grabbed her hands. “No, don’t apologize like that. I’m so happy so see you again.”

                Alexander put his arm around her and held her close. It was their final embrace.

As he left her, each step he took cracked her heart. Never would she question his motives. Never would she feel that he left because his ideals were stronger than his love for her. She knew he had to leave, because they were more important. It was the selfless choice. The choice of one of The Worthy.

 

© 2014 SeismicTurtle


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on November 7, 2014
Last Updated on November 7, 2014
Tags: short story, published, science fiction, rough draft, future, dystopia