Our Happy Ending

Our Happy Ending

A Story by Imani
"

When there is no other way out....

"

I wait in the empty hallway after school for Jacob and Chris. I winced as I was shoved into a locker from behind. My books tumbled to the ground as I heard laughter. “Move out our way freak!” I stared down at my pile of scattered books and prayed they leave me alone. “Ay freak we’re talking to you!” I’m shoved even harder this time as I grit my teeth in pain. I close my eyes, wistfully wishing I didn’t have to live this life.

“Come on Mark. Leave her alone.”

“Shut up Greg. Stop acting like a p***y. It’s just some harmless fun.” I feel a hand grab my shoulder tightly and push me into the locker. “Ay freak open your eyes.” I just squeeze my eyes tighter and remain unresponsive. “You better open your eyes or face the consequences. I know you don't want a repeat of last time. Although I did enjoy myself.” His laugh was cold and remorseless. I became engulfed in fear, remembering the last time I received one of their 'consequences'.

I immediately become submissive and open my eyes. I am met with Mark and his followers. Not friends because Mark treated them like crap also. Mark smirked coldly at me. “Yeah you know better then to disobey me. Now lets take a little walk.” I shook my head feverishly, remembering the last encounter he said those words. Mark’s smirk transformed into a deep scowl.

“Did you say no to me w***e?” I said nothing but began to tremble. “Guys I think she needs to be reminded to who she’s talking to.” I shrunk in fear as Mark and his followers crowded around me like preys. I had no way out. I was easily overpowered. Mark alone could have overpowered me. His strapping and tall stature intimidated even the bravest of people. To have four burly boys prowling around me was down right terrifying.

One boy however didn’t participate in the ‘activities’.

“Mark man stop. You’re scaring her.” Mark glared at his cousin.

“Shut up Greg!” Greg shook his head and looked down at the floor. I never understood why Greg hung with Mark and his followers. Out of the five, Greg was the nicest. He never participated in Mark’s daily torturing but he never tried to stop it either. He would just look the other way and ignore it. I wonder if he’s too scared to go against Mark like everyone else is?

I could feel the hot and salty tears running down my face. Someone please help me. Like an answer to my plea I hear the sound of pounding footsteps against the hard floor.

“Get away from her!” I almost sobbed in relief when I heard Jacob and Chris’s voices. Mark and his followers backed away from me. Jacob and Chris ran up to me with worried expressions. Jacob grabbed my face.

“Did they hurt you?” I shook my head unable to talk. Fear still had a tight grip at my throat. Chris and Jacob turned around and pushed me behind them. They acted as my barricade as they glared at Mark.

“Leaver her alone!” Mark rolled his eyes.

“Oh lord now we have freak number two and three here. How wonderful.” Chris opened his mouth to retaliate but Jacob covered his mouth.

“Come on man. Lets just leave. It’s not worth the trouble.” I hear Chris growl and see his body tense up. I knew it took a great deal of strength for Chris to abstain his self.

“You better listen to your brother freak. I can make your life a living hell if you mess with me.” Chris glared at him but said nothing because it was the truth. Mark could make our lives even harder than it was now. And that's saying something. Being the corrupted headmaster’s son gave Mark a lot of power.

“You are a b*****d.” Mark got in Chris’s face.

“And you don’t belong here.”

“I belong here just as much as all you a******s. I worked hard to get a scholarship here.”

“Doesn’t mean you belong here. You might have the brains but you don’t belong here socially. You are poor and worthless and don’t deserve to represent a school of this prestige. Look at you people. Dressed in all that black and makeup. Just some emo freaks.” Chris glared harder at him. The vein in his neck was throbbing erratically.

“I promise you Mark. You will regret this.” Mark just smiled mockingly.

“Oh I am so scared. Come on guys. The horrible stench of poor freaks is distorting my senses.” Jacob shook his head as Mark and his followers walked away.

“We’re sorry we took so long Sarah.” I nodded my head and found my voice.

“It’s okay.”

Jacob sighed.“Come on let’s go home.”

I sighed and watched as Chris went nearly berserk. When we arrived at Chris and Jacob’s house ten minutes ago, he ran up to his room and started destroying everything in sight. Jacob and I had no choice but to sit on his bed and watch. We knew better than to stop Chris when he was in a rage.

“Chris man you have to calm down.” Chris ignored Jacob as he paced back and forth. His pale skin was now deep red from anger except for his white knuckles as he clenched his fists tightly.

Chris kicked his basketball, which went flying into his door. I flinched at the loud impact. “Yo Chris chill!” Chris turned sharply and glared at us with fire licking his eyes.

“I will not chill! Aren’t you guys tired of being treated like crap and living this god forsaken life?!” Jacob and I looked down. “I hate that school and the shallow people in it! I hate that crooked headmaster and his evil spawn!” Chris punched the wall, empowered by rage and hate. I was stupefied by the sheer power of that punch. The big hole that was now left in the wall was a memento to that.

“I’m going through with it Jacob! This is the last straw!”

“Man you’re not thinking straight right now. Why don't you take a deep breath and calm down.”

“No, I am not going to take a deep breath and I'm thinking clear as day!”

“Chris.”

“No Jacob. It’s indisputable. I’m going through with it whether you like it or not, with or without you. After all we’ve been through. It’s inevitable.” I looked at Jacob.

“What is he talking about?” Jacob shook his head glumly.

“It’s nothing.” I’m confused. Why does he look so sad and guilty?

“Jacob.” Jacob shook his head and looked at Chris.

“Okay I’m down.” Chris smiled.

“Good I took the initiative last week to formulate the last steps of the plan just in case it came to this.” Jacob nodded and I sat there in deep confusion and hurt. We never kept secrets from each other. Why now? Chris glanced quickly at me.

“We’ll talk about this later tonight and I’ll show you the supplies.” Jacob nodded.

“It’s the only way out.” I heard Jacob whisper to his self.

“What’s the only way out?” Jacob smiled weakly.

“Don’t come to school tomorrow okay?” I shook my head in puzzlement.

“Why?” Jacob grabbed my hands.

“Just do me that favor.” I said nothing and he sighed. “Come on lets lay down. I’m tired.”

I hear Chris sigh. “Yeah me too.”

Jacob lies down and pulls me down with him. I hear Chris kick his shoes off. Chris climbs onto the bed and lies on the other side of me. I sigh and snuggle into their warmth. I felt safest when I’m with them. They’re my sanctuary away from this cruel world I was born into. It didn’t take me long to start dosing off. Before sleep took over me I heard Jacob whisper he loved me. Usually that made me feel wonderful but this time it made me feel unnerved. Why did that feel like a goodbye?

I snuck into the school and headed for my fourth period class, lunch. I tried to follow Jacob’s request, but I hated being alone. I wanted to see what Jacob and Chris were hiding from me anyway. I walked into the lunchroom and looked around for Chris and Jacob. I sat down at a semi-crowded table waiting for them to appear. Fifteen minutes later I see Chris and Jacob walk through the outside door at the back of the lunchroom. Why did they come through that way? How did they even get in through that way? It’s always locked.

“Ay what’s wrong with the doors?” I turn to see a boy pushing at the double doors that lead out of the lunchroom but they remained balked. “Oh my God they have guns!” I turn my head sharply towards the scream. The whole room erupts in chaos as some people hid under the tables, froze in fear, or made a mad dash to the closest exit but were deterred because they wouldn’t open. I hear a loud bang and screams of fear. Oh my gosh who’s shooting?!

“Everybody sit the hell down!” My blood goes frigid at the all too familiar voice. Oh God that couldn’t be…Chris?

“You all better listen to him! You smart ones will take precaution and sit down while you others will end up dead! Now get back to your seats!” Jacob? Everybody rushed back to their seats terrified. I scan around the room to see people in hysterics, holding their friends, terrified or all of the above. Once everybody sat down I was able to see Chris and Jacob clearly. The blood drained from my face when I saw Jacob and Chris holding shotguns. Oh my God what are they doing?!

“Now I want complete silence or,” Chris cocked his shotgun. “I will use this. I have enough bullets to lay out this whole lunchroom.” The lunchroom became instantly silent. I shivered in fear, as the silence was disquieting. Chris whispered something to Jacob who nodded and headed to the area where the lunch ladies were. I hear screams and a couple seconds later the lunch ladies came out with Jacob pointing his gun at them. Chris pointed his gun towards a table and Jacob maneuvers the lunch ladies to it. Once the lunch ladies sat down Jacob went back to standing next to Chris.

Chris whispers something else to Jacob who once again nods. Jacob goes to a table and grabs Mark and drags him in front of Chris. Mark stood in front of Chris shaking. Chris points his gun towards the ground. “Get on your knees.” Mark gets on his knees and puts his hands up. “P-p-please d-don’t k-k-kill m-me. P-p-please.” Mark sounded like a bumbling idiot. It would have been funny if the situation had been different. Chris laughed hollowly.

“Don’t kill you? Don’t kill you?! You made my life a nightmare and you ask me not to kill you?” Mark shook his head rigorously.

“Please I’m sorry.”

Chris shrugged. “I’m not.”

There was a loud bang followed by horrified screams. I stared dumbfounded at the dead body of Mark. I almost gagged at what was left of his mangled face. I see Jacob stare ambiguously at Chris. I look up at Chris whose face was contorted in pure hatred and showed no remorse for what he had just done. What happened to him? I knew he was falling apart but not like this. The Chris I knew wouldn’t commit such a atrocity.

“Get the others.” Jacob shook his head at Chris.

“Man I can’t do this. You said we were just going to scare them not kill them!” Chris pushes Jacob roughly.

“Stop acting like a punk and get the others!”

“No!” Chris pointed his gun at Jacob

. “Yes! You said you were going to go through with this! It’s the only way out remember?! Our lives are worthless! We have nothing to live for!” Jacob looked down and sighed. He walked to the table where he had got Mark and gathered Mark’s followers. Chris made them get into the same position as Mark and ignored their pleas.

“Begging is not going to help you! When we begged you all to stop bullying us did you all stop?! No! Matter fact.” Chris swung the gun around the room and people ducked for safety. “None of you helped us! You watched us get beaten and tortured for years! You all laughed and took enjoyment in our pain just like them! Just because we’re different and not some uppity rich b******s who can’t even think for their selves don’t mean we deserve such harsh treatment! We deserved to be here just as much as you all! Just because we don’t come from a wealthy family doesn’t make us inferior!”

Chris growled and one by one shot Mark’s followers. They all died instantly. Each bang of the gun sent a sharp pain through my heart. The last one left was Greg. Chris froze when he got to him. Greg just stared at the floor visibly shaking. “You didn’t participate in the torturing and beatings.” Chris pressed the gun into Greg’s temple. “But you’re just as bad. You sat there and watched like some coward and never tried to stop it.”

I have to stop this. They can’t continue doing this. Yes these people hurt emotionally, mentally, and physically but this is not the way to handle it.

“Chris stop!” Jacob and Chris looked at me in shock.

“What are you doing here Sarah?!” I walked amble towards them. I was scared for my life. They were not my boys. Who knows if these strangers in my best friends bodies would kill me without a second thought. “What are you guys doing?” Chris pointed the gun at me and I stopped. “What are you doing here?!”

“Yo Chris man stop pointing the gun at her!” Chris looked at Jacob.

“I thought you said she was staying home!”

“I thought she was!”

“Why are you guys doing this?” Chris growled.

“Because this is the only way out!”

“No it isn’t! We only have four months left and we are out of this place!” Chris shook his head.

“ What’s going to happen after we leave here huh Sarah?! Go back to our alcoholic parents and your drugged up mother?!” I looked down willing myself not to cry. “Our lives are complete crap!”

“I’ve learned to cope with it for now. There’s always a rainbow after the storm remember?”

Chris looked at me with tear filled eyes. I saw the old Chris and not the monster that was once there. There was so much pain, anger, and sadness darkening his green eyes.

“Not my storms Sarah. My storms are followed by another storm. It’s never ending.” Chris turns the gun on him. By now I was hysterical.

“Chris stop! Remember what we talked about a month ago? How we would prevail and live happy lives? We deserve our happy endings!” Chris shook his head sadly.

“I killed all these people Sarah. I have no happy ending.” I screamed at the loud bang and the thumping of a falling body that followed. Like in the movies in slow motion I watch Greg take advantage of the momentary distraction and run towards Jacob but was too slow as Jacob shot him. Greg dropped to the ground soundlessly. A waterfall of never ending blood leaked out of his chest.

Jacob stared horrified at Greg’s dead body. Jacob cursed under his breath and grabbed his head. “Oh my gosh I killed somebody! I’m a murderer. I’m going to prison!” There was loud banging on the double doors.

“We have this place surrounded! Surrender now!” Jacob looked around frantically. He looked at me pleadingly.

“Sarah what am I going to do?! I killed somebody!” He was shaking and crying. I sobbed.

“I don’t know. We have to get out of here.” Jacob sighed heavily and shook his head.

“It’s over. There’s nothing I can do. You heard them. They have this place surrounded.”

Jacob turned the gun on his self.

“No Jacob not you too. Please we can still have our happy endings.”

“Do you really believe that Sarah?” I desperately wanted to say yes but I didn’t even believe it myself. I stopped believing a long time ago. I’ve just been in denial.

“We don’t get a happy ending Sarah. God has forsaken us since the day we were born. This is how our lives are going to be until we die bittersweet deaths. This is the only way out.” He whispered.

“Jacob please.”

“You know I love you right, Sarah? I wish this could have ended differently. I was going to make you my wife. I'll see you on the other side okay?”

I nodded and closed my eyes. My throat tightens almost completely closed when I hear the loud bang of the shotgun and the subsequent falling of his body.

I open my eyes and meet a blood stained wall. I sob hard and fall to my knees. I let out a loud cry of raw pain as my heart tried to wrench itself out my chest. I hear the double doors crash open and the police officers run in. My eyes land on Jacob’s shotgun. I let out a shaky sigh and grab it.

“Ma’am put the gun down now!” I c**k the gun and hear all the officers c**k theirs too. I smile hollowly and felt a strange peacefulness wash over me like cold water on a hot day . I point the gun at myself. “Ma’am stop! Put the gun down!" Jacob is right; we don’t get a happy ending.

© 2010 Imani


Author's Note

Imani
I wrote this some time ago. Not my best and i apologize for any mistakes. Thanks for reading : )

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on August 11, 2010
Last Updated on August 11, 2010

Author

Imani
Imani

NJ



About
I love music, writing, reading, giving advice, i like to have fun, i love making people smile and laugh, i can be sarcastic but in a good way :) more..

Writing