Silent shiver

Silent shiver

A Story by Shamsi96
"

Awoken from her sleep, Evie started her day as normal... That was until she discovered a horrifying truth.

"

It was the dead silence which woke Evie from her everlasting sleep, copious amounts of noise couldn’t keep her from sleeping but the silence of the mornings would. She hated it. Not a single bird song, nor a car engine or even footsteps could be heard in Rutherford. It was a ghost town.

 

Evie conducted her daily routine with the usual start of a scratch of the eyes to remove any of yesterdays sleep, and a gaping yawn, big enough to wake her neighbours if she had any. Swinging her long legs off the edge of her bed she slipped her toes into her pink fuzzy slippers and stood up to crack her bones and slumber her way toward her bathroom.

 

Rolling her toothpaste, Evie pinched the last drop onto her tooth brush and began brushing rapidly. As she did, she began to recollect the thoughts of last night. Her drunken escapade which led to an eventual sacking, of which the manager branded ‘completely inappropriate immature behaviour’. Evie muttered the words in her mind, whilst rolling her eyes back and spitting the left overs of puke still stick between her teeth in the sink below.

 

With damned lifeless effort, Evie dragged her heavy bones to the kitchen where she knew a hot coffee would rid of the splitting headache she felt. She made her way round the breakfast bar still barely keeping her eyes open, and popped two pain killers swallowing them whole, whilst switching the kettle on in turn.

 

A strong, decrepit, dead smell suddenly plunged her nostrils. Evie creased her brow, and held the tops of her fingers to her nose. Eurgh! What is that disgusting smell. She thought. Her eyes now wide open, and posture upright she began opening cupboards and sniffing incessantly till she caught a trace. A whole two minutes passed and Evie was yet to find where this potent smell had arisen, she ran toward the fridge and found nothing unusual. She stopped in her tracks, took a deep breath in (reluctantly), and followed her nose.

 

It was then, and only then she caught the smell and tracked it toward the lounge. Grabbing an air freshener can Evie moved closer and closer to the room. The smell grew more potent. It stung her eyes to a squint, her mouth was ensured to a pinch to not breathe in as much air. It was then that she discovered something which would change her life forever.

“It can’t be…” she said as she stammered back. She let out a ghoulish blood curdling scream so loud and hard, she fell back, onto her backside. She scuttled away and clung to the nearest telephone and immediately dialled 999 till she was met with an unresponsive tone. Evie whelped, she cried, she ran for the door and bellowed at the top of her lungs. “SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!” No response. She screamed again and again and no one chanced a reply. Running from door to door, no one answered, no one was around. Evie broke down in agony and despair. This was certainly a ghost town. She was alone.

 

Slumped on her doorstep, the silence was broken through a monotonous ringing of her house telephone. She ran to it. “Hello? HELLO? Somebody? Anybody?” no reply. “Hello is anyone there?” no reply. Then suddenly… “I’m coming for you Evie.” A sullen voice called down the phone, before hanging up. Evie started to shake, she looked up at her discovery and cried more dry tears ‘how could this happen...’ she sobbed.  Evie was staring at a dead body, infested in maggots, the face was unrecognisable.

 

She examined the corpse. ‘Pink fluffy slippers?’ “NO…no it can’t be…NOOO!”. Evie turned and a dark shadow was standing behind her. He raised a giant blunt object and slammed it down on Evie’s skull, killing her instantly. She fell in place of the corpse, which vanished instantly.

 

It was the dead silence which woke Evie from her everlasting sleep, Evie recognised this feeling, she’d been here before. This was a ghost town.

© 2016 Shamsi96


Author's Note

Shamsi96
Ignore grammar problems, my first piece!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting. Anything else you may write about her killer? Someone she recognizes? A demon? Is there a reason he's killing her? Just a thought. I enjoyed your story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shamsi96

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I was thinking an elaboration on the killer may be needed, but would rather let.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 28, 2016
Last Updated on March 28, 2016

Author

Shamsi96
Shamsi96

Crawley, West Sussex, United Kingdom