Lara

Lara

A Story by ShannonMMetcalf
"

It's like a personal biography told through the eyes of my fictitious girlfriend, Lara.

"
Intro:

Hey! My name is Lara; Lara Noir. I’m just your typical down country kinda girl. Oddly enough, however, my parents moved here before I was born. My momma, that jokester, tells me I was literally birthed after their citizen papers came through. Iguess that would make me just barely a U.S. citizen, born and raised. I grew up down south for most of my life, which is why I talk with this thick accent. No, not French, pssh; my parents share that. Nah; I’m 100% American made, despite being actually French. But don’t tell nobody. (As if anyone can hear me, HA!)

You know, I turn twenty three in a few days! Yup! My birthday’s on October 31st, and I was born 1991. Fancy that, I’m a southern French woman with horror in my veins and love in my heart. There is an interesting tale that I’d love to write down, maybe make this into a movie someday! That is my dream after all. I wanna be a famous actress and director. I’ve already been  goin’ to college for over three years! It’s unbelievable, I know. Anyway, I’m getting off course. This tale starts, oh I don’t know, yesterday! I wish y’all could see me laughing right now. Anywho, I met this guy as I was chuckin’ hay. Here’s how it went.






October 30th, 2014:
I Met Him!

So there I am, throwin’ hay around and bustin’ my hump. Daddy says he wants to put some meat on my bones as well as in my brain. Can’t say that I blame him for that. Anyway, yesterday was unnaturally hot for an Autumn afternoon. I was even wearing short cut off jean shorts and my short sleeved t-shirt. I always tied up the belly part just because it flaunted my belly ring a bit. Daddy doesn’t appreciate it much but Ma says: “Showin’ some skin ain’t always a problem.” I love Ma, and Daddy too.

Anyway, I’m gettin’ off topic. We were on about that guy I met. Right, there I was, just a chuckin’ my hay, when he appeared. At first, I’ll admit, h frightened me. His shadiness darn near scared the willies outta’ me. But as he drew nearer, I saw the sadness behind his eyes. Those light brown, somber like a hound’s, eyes. The poor guy; I could just feel his anger and depression pourin’ off o’ him. He had his hands inside of a long sleeved, black shirt and his head was down.

I remember this because he didn’t even look remotely sweaty. He looked up at me, showing off his thick nose, big mouth and large head. The things that drew me near him the most were his ears. I, even today, question why they are so small. I didn’t think nothing’ of it though. Ma always said: “Starin’ ain’t the polite thing to o.” And I agree. This guy saw me, thinking I didn’t notice him starin’. Most guys have their tongues lollin’ outta’ their mouths when they see me.

Perhaps it’s my five foot, nine inch structure, or my blue eyed, blonde haired combo. Ma thinks it was my small lipped smile that drew the man in. Heck, I dunno what it was, but my heart fluttered at the sight of him. Daddy told me I could call it quits for the day, so I walked on over to the guy. As I drew even closer, his features came more into focus. He had a Mohawk hairdo, and a thick red Amish like beard. I noticed the baseball bat cross with Cincy Baseball printed on it.

Anywho, he saw me playin’ him with my googly eyes and stroking’ the fence post between us. When he spoke, his voice sounded stuffy. The voice was also very naturally low, which to be honest, turns me on a bit. He says to me: “I’ve never seen you before!” with shock in his voice. I tell him that he must have missed me recently, though I did just move in a few days ago. “What is your name?” I heard him say. I said to him, “My name is Lara Noir. Pleased to meet your acquaintance!” I then stuck out my sweaty hand and he hesitated. 

I could see his body shake from nervousness. “What’s the matter? I don’t bite.” I said to him. He replies with: “I-I nev…never really h-had a girl t-talk to me-me th-this way.” In all honesty, I put my hand to the Heavens; he spoke just like that.It’s like he never met a decent bell before! I leaned against that old fence post and twirled my hair. (I do this to try and play the guys. Just to see how they react). The man started to jitter a bit like he was cold or somethin’.


He also acted like he had a lot of pain in his neck. I reached over and started to massage him, wince I thought he was hurtin’. The man winced at my touch, but didn’t fight me. I know for a fact he ain’t even kissed a girl. Shoot,  he may only have slow danced; I barely give him that! He asks, “What was that for miss?” (He is so polite! One of the reasons that I can’t get him outta’ my head). Overhead, I heard birds fluttering to their nests. The sun had been setting at this time as well. I ask the man, “Well, sir, what is your name? You know mine!” I started to chew my tongue at this point, to tease him some more.

He kicked some pebbles around and took a deep breath. He said, “Don’t laugh.” I say, “No worries fella’, I ain’t one to bully.” He replies, “My name’s Shannon; Shannon Metcalf.” (He has a girl’s name… But I kinda like it!) I see him smile, when I flash my smile. Though his is a closed mouth kinda’ smile. I wondered if it had to do with his teeth. I don’t know, nor do I care. That smile made my heart just melt like butter on a very hot skillet. 

I reached out and placed my hand on his, which rested on the fence post. He, at first, jolted, but then settled down. I lean in, and wiggle a finger to draw him over. He leans in, and I whispered in his ear. “Since I’m new here, could you show me around?” He smiles again, this time with more confidence and nods. “Sure I Can!” he says to me. (Now that’s the spunk I look for in a man!) He then says, “Would you mind going out with me? Even if it was just a walk?” I just looked at him with my folded arms and pursed lips.
“Of course I would!” I tell him. Oh boy how his eyes lit up when I agreed. He tells me, “I’ll be back here at three P.M.” Which I agree with. Side note, (Daddy said I was free from work after today, since I’m back in college). Shannon nodded at me one last time and off he went. There was a slight skip to his walk now. Oh how it warms my heart ot see him happy. That’s why I don’t want to lose any bit of what could be an amazing tale! Just like this one was. Hey, it’s late and I need rest for class tomorrow! Wish me luck!

With love: 
-Lara.

October 31st, 2014

Dear diary, today’s my birthday! That’s right, I’m officially twenty three years old! Today was amazing! First off, let me state where I am at now. I am laying in the middle of a rock on the edge of this river. It’s the Otselic River, according to Shannon. He was such a gentleman today. He greeted me at my gate, with tiger lilies in hand. (He has no idea that those are my favorites!) Today I put on some baggy slacks and a slightly loose blue shirt.




My hair is up in a ponytail; I just didn’t wanna dress up, that’s all. Meh, anyway, Shannon had a nice pair of brown jeans on. God, did it show off his legs nicely. He also had a loose green shirt on, with the number ten stitched all over it.  He tells me, “Don’t worry about the torn up shirt.” I reply, “Don’t you worry about my frump outfit.” He smiles and opens the gate for me, bowing all the while. I smile back, and I ask where he gets the gentleman like attitude from. He says, “I was raised to be nice to everyone no matter how they treat me.” My heart almost cracked with the depressive back tone in his voice.

He waited with me by his side. Daddy stayed back, bailin’ the hay, watching as Shannon and I walked. Shannon spoke first, he said, “So, what brings you to Pitcher?” I was taken aback by the question. I remember leaning against a tree for a moment. He rested against a light pole and corssed his arms. I followed suit to see if I could make him smile. He did, which caused me to grin as well. I told him that my Ma and Daddy wanted to have a fresh start. My Daddy was a judge in France and my Ma was a lawyer. We continued our walk, around a corner, and down a long highway.

I remember the smells perfectly. There was a strong aroma of honey suckle with a hint of cow manure. To be honest, it was not one of the highlights. Shannon still seemed nervous, so I slipped my hand into his. He looked scared at this point. “Accept it.” I told him. We walked past corn fields for quite some time. Our hands were warm in each other’s grasp. His were a bit dainty and sweatier. (He hasn’t one strenuous farm work, no doubt about it).

To break the ice I asked, “How long have you lived here?” He replies, “I’ve lived here most of my life. I grew up here when I was four up to now.” I couldn’t elieve that. I had moved at least a couple of times. We passed by a small cemetery. The road led towards a group of hoses ahead. Shannon cleared his throat, which he felt embarrassed about. I told him it was natural and hocked a loogie myself. We happened to walk by a sign reading, Pitcher. Beyond that were numerous buildings. As we started to pass a church, Shannon stopped. I felt his arm tug mine, and looked at him.

Misty tears plagued his eyes. “What’s the matter?” I asked him. He sniffed and cleared his throat again. (He does that quite a bit). “Come here.” he says and pulls me up the driveway, past the church. He guided me towards the grave sites between the first and second rows. He stopped in front of a series of three headstones. One read: Joan Marie Niles and Nathon “Bill” Metcalf. “My grandparents from my Dad’s side.” he adds. I saw the pain in his face and held tighter onto his hand.

He then pulled me towards the next. It read: Timothy Metcalf, “The Gentle Giant.” “That’s my older brother.” he says. The agony in his voice had now been apparent. He pointed to the last one. Rosemary Metcalf. “My aunt through marriage, but she was a great woman.” Shannon finished. (I’m telling you now, I wanted to do something for him so badly at that point). All I knew I could do was hold him. SO I pulled him towards me into a tight embrace. He grabbed me like a hurt little kid. He cried for what felt like days, diary, but I couldn’t help but like him more.

We left that cemetery and turned back around. Shannon knew an hour had passed and didn’t want to keep me from my studies. He let me walk on the inside as we walked slowly back to my house. This time Shannon’s hand grabbed mine. I accepted it, and we moved in silence, mostly. I saw my house up ahead so I figured it was time to share something. We stopped at the left turn and sat on the guard rail. Shannon wouldn’t let go of my hand for love nor money. I smiled at him and brushed the hair from my eyes. I wanted to tell him of my grandma. 

I call her Great Ma, I said to him. “Great Ma, my grandma, was a great woman. She taught me values and politeness. Her French dishes were to die for. I loved her like a best friend as well as a grandma…” I remember trailing off for a bit. It still pains me now to even think of Great Ma. That lovely old lady who did nothing but care for all the hurt and sad. I finished my story later on, as we walked up to my house gate. I’m sure you know what happened. There’s no reason for me to say it twice today. Anyway, Shannon apologized for the pain I went through. I did the same in return and we thanked each other.

When I got to the gate, I entered, and then turned around. Shannon had another tiger lily in his hand. He says, “For your broken heart.” to me. I felt my eyes sting with water. I pulled out my scrunchee that held my ponytail. I then handed it to him. “Something to remind you of me.” I said. He flushed and placed the scrunchee into his pocket. I hate my hair being all ratty and down my back. But I did it for him. I bid him farewell, after he wished me a Happy Birthday. 

As I watched that man leave, my heart yearned for me to yell out to him. I clenched the flower and bit my tongue. And here I am, with my back on a giant rock. The country here don’t look half bad neither. I especially love all the rushing water, which is really lolling me to sleep. I should get home so Ma and Daddy don’t fret. OH, college went just dandy today! Besides the Biology class. Who needs that when you wanna act anyway?! I digress. I’ll talk more in the evening’ tomorrow.

With love,
-Lara

© 2016 ShannonMMetcalf


Author's Note

ShannonMMetcalf
I haven't edited this yet, like my other posts, just please deal with any grammatical mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on March 12, 2016
Last Updated on March 12, 2016
Tags: Lara, blonde, blue eyes, beautiful, farm girl, french blood, french, farm, biography, fictitious, love, romance, passion, my love, my girl, lovers, diary entries

Author

ShannonMMetcalf
ShannonMMetcalf

Pitcher, NY



About
I've been writing ever since the fifth grade, starting with poetry. I've continued this trend up through the ninth grade, until my later years of high school. My first novel, Lycanthropy: Blood-Ties, .. more..

Writing