The Zoo

The Zoo

A Story by Sharrumkin
"

Colleen and Dan, just arrived in Kano, meet.

"

The Zoo

                                      

Colleen had just turned fourteen.  She and another fourteen year old, Russell, determined to prove their maturity had bedded one another, aided by joints of marijuana and a shared quarter bottle of her father’s whiskey.  They had pledged that they would love each other forever. The pledge had lasted two months. Colleen had found herself to be pregnant.  Russell, backed by his parents claimed that being the class s**t, she had bedded half the boys in her class. How could anyone know who the father was?  Russell went on the try out for the high school football team. Colleen’s parents transferred her to another school.

So it had been in high school, in university and in Africa; a succession of lovers and alcohol. Drugs though she had discarded, replacing them with her studies. She had done well in her studies getting an honours degree in English Literature and History. She had also developed skills in charming and amusing people.  This had helped her secure lovers.  It had also secured her the teaching position in Kano. She had thought of going to Africa since seeing The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart. On the whole she had done well.

  On her first day in Kano she met Dan. Upon seeing him she had projected him as being Mister Eight in her list of lovers, someone who would help fill out her time in Africa. From what she had learned of him she had sensed that he was a nice but a rather odd character; potentially something more than a lover but the man was so damn hesitant.  Every step of the way to her bed, he seemed to need prodding.

On the second day they had met at the Sardauna Prince Hotel. Two men were sitting at a table for four. Followed by Elizabeth she had gone there, tray in her hands and asked if they might sit.  The taller and lankier of the two, Mike McDougall rose in greeting.  “Of course.  Please.”

Dan, looking up from his book, nodded. Standing, he shifted his chair making room for Colleen.

In a quiet moment over tea, Elizabeth, mentioned that she had heard that Kano had a zoo.   “The Audu Bako Zoological Garden, I believe it’s called.” She glanced at her West Africa guide book. “Would anyone like to go and see it.”

Colleen having just struck up a conversation about first impressions of Nigeria with Dan, had no wish to go anywhere, until Dan spoke up. “Why not. We can share a cab” he suggested.  Seeing that Dan was interested, Colleen agreed to go. Dan’s friend Mike also decided to go.

For eight nairas,  the Hausa cab driver, greed to drop them at the gateway to the Kano zoo. They filled the yellow and white cab. Mike took the front seat, the two ladies the back with Dan sitting between them.

“Something I never expected to see here was a zoo” said Dan.

“I didn’t either,” muttered Colleen. She had nestled against Dan’s shoulder during the ride.  He had then moved a bit to offer her more room. Not the response that she had hoped for.  Looking out the car window she studied the crowds swarming the street.  Dirty, thin, dark-skinned people; the females wearing shawls, the males, caps. Many of ther men bore sacrificial scars on their cheeks marking their tribes. They all looked poor and hungry.  “So many beggars” said Colleen.

Dan glanced at the people outside the car.  “Yes.”

“What can we do for them?” Colleen asked.

“For them? Nothing. We do our jobs. That’s what we’re hired for. In time we’ll get used to it.  There may even come a time when we won’t even see it anymore.”

“Do you believe it?”

Dan shrugged. “Partly. You have to get hardened to survive here.  Otherwise you won’t last. If you don’t last you can’t do your work.”

Mike nodded. A veteran of a CUSO (Canadian University Services Overseas) project in Botswana, Nigeria was his second tour in Africa. “Yeah, but if you get too hardened you can‘t do it either. That’s the trap we can fall into.”

Colleen glanced at a toothless old woman holding out a tin mug.  Feeling ill she turned her face away snuggling against Dan’s shoulder.  Without thinking he put his left arm around her shoulders.  Looking down he studied her head resting on his shoulders.  With the lightest of touches he placed his hand on it.  Colleen pressed more deeply against him.

The taxi stopped at a yellow pointed gate, the words Audu Bako Zoological Gardens painted on it.

***

It was one of the nicer spots in Kano thought Colleen. She took hold of Dan’s right hand. They followed behind the others taking an occasional look at the animals, mainly content just being with one another.

“You like it here?” Colleen asked.

“Yes I do. It’s peaceful; a rare thing in this city.”

“I like it too.  Ooh. Ostriches.”  They stopped to look at the birds. “I wish I had my camera. What about you?  Did you bring yours?”

“I don’t have one.”

“You . . .? But how do you take pictures?”

Dan shrugged. “I never had a reason to.” Then he looked at her and smiled; a shy, tentative smile.  “Maybe I will now.”

                                      ***

That afternoon, after they returned to the hotel, the project director, Richard Dalgarno, requested Mike And Dan to meet with him. “Saturday morning at eight I’ll take you two up to Hadejia. Be ready to go then. Meet me in the lobby.”

Dan and Mike met the two ladies in the restaurant.  Colleen and Elizabeth were sipping at Green Sands Shandys 

“We just heard from Richard that we will be going into our house on Saturday,” said Elizabeth.

“You must come and see us “said Colleen” taking Dan by his hands.

“I’m afraid that’s not possible this weekend,” said Mike. “We just got our marching orders.”  He asked a passing waiter for two more Green Sands.

“I’ll order the next two” said Dan. “I find it takes two to kill the thirst.”

“You’re leaving?” Colleen asked Dan.

“Part of the job.” said Dan. “Richard is taking us up to Hadejia at eight, tomorrow morning.”

“When will you be back?” Colleen asked.

“Don’t know. Have to get settled in at the school. A couple of weeks I expect.  I’ll write you and let you know.  Anyway we’ll see you at supper.”

Colleen nodded. “Yes.”

“Maybe . . . ,”Dan’s voice became hesitant, almost a whisper. “They have a nice garden here. We could take a stroll after supper.  The air is cooler then.”

“That would be nice.”

“About seven then?  After supper.”

He touched her right hand. “I have to pack.” She nodded and squeezed his hand.   He turned and walked away with Mike, taking their shandys with them.

***

Colleen almost cried from frustration.  The same morning that Dan was off to Hadejia Elizabeth and she were moving into one of the teacher’s residence in the Sabon Gari.  It simply was not fair.  Since Mike and Dan were sharing a room and she and Elizabeth were sharing a room, there was no chance of getting him into bed with her.  She would have to wait until he got back to Kano. At least, she sobbed inwardly, the evening remained theirs.  Perhaps they could find a secluded place somewhere.

***

“Allahu Akbar!”  The muzzien’s call sounded though the warm evening air.

A dozen hotel employees bent towards Mecca.

Colleen and Dan sat a table looking on. 

“Sorry” said Dan. “I forgot about the evening prayer. It’ll be over soon.”

“Maybe we can go somewhere else?  We could . . .” She wanted to suggest that they rent their own room for the night. 

“It’s not safe out on the streets after dark,” said Dan.  “It’s best we stay here.  Anyway I have to count my kobos (pennies)until I get paid.  Shall we take a walk?”

“Might as well.”

Hand in hand they waked past the kneeling devotees.

“I should be back in two or three weeks, depending when my salary comes in. I’ll write and let you know.” said Dan.

“Yes.” We could be together in bed, she thought. It was not fair.

They passed a date palm. Colleen glanced at the tree.  She looked back at the worshippers and then at the tree. Between the the tree and the wall of the hotel was a small, black space.  Could it be big enough for them?  They could be close together and . . .

She tugged Dan towards the tree.

“Hi guys.”  Mike stepped over to them. “Seeing the garden?”

“Yes,” said Colleen remembering to smile.

“It is lovely, isn’t it? You into gardening: Colleen?”

“I admire people who are good at planting.”

Mike smiled. “I’m sure that you do.”

“My mother is quite a keen gardener.  Of course you need to own land.  Some day; I may have my own garden.  Don’t you think so, Dan?”

 “Hmm? Yes. Some day.”

“What would you plant?” asked Mike. “Carrots? Rutabagas?”

“Vegetables would be nice. Flowers too. Roses, maybe.”

“Have to be careful. Roses have thorns.”

“Lovely flowers always have to take care. Too many creatures are trying to pick them.”

“The worshippers are leaving,” said Mike glancing at the clump of devotees.  “Maybe I should do the same. I’ll see you guys later.” He began to walk away. Then he stopped and turned. “There’s a bench set back among the flowers a few yards to the right, perfect for a couple seeking solitude.  Keep walking. You might stumble across it.” He nodded and then walked away. 

© 2024 Sharrumkin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on January 16, 2024
Last Updated on February 25, 2024
Tags: "Love in Kano"

Author

Sharrumkin
Sharrumkin

Kingston, Ontario, Canada



About
Retired teacher. Spent many years working and living in Africa and in Asia. more..

Writing
The Cross The Cross

A Story by Sharrumkin


Politeness Politeness

A Story by Sharrumkin