Diggy diggy hole for Ignitite

Diggy diggy hole for Ignitite

A Story by Shazuno
"

I don't even know. Just picks and stones looking for shinies for a few paragraphs.

"

Bang.

Her arms reverberated with the force of the impact.

Bang.

Fingers tightened around the handle of her tool.

Bang.

She felt it, the heat of the Ignitite emanating through the rock wall. Somewhere ahead, hidden behind a few centimeters of stubbornly hard stone, laid one more fruit for the daily efforts of the miners.

Bang.

Nothing yet.

She wiped her forehead with the back of her hand on an attempt to remove accumulated sweat; However, the only thing she managed to do was exchange it for the sweat filled with dirt covering her entire arm.

Around her, the rhythm of metal against stone continued, a few voices rising in conversation above the noise.

Sharpening her focus, she searched for signs of the Ignitite's glow that she might have missed, but nothing still.

She shouldered her pickaxe, catching her breath before discharging the tool with all her might against the wall again.

A triumphant howl resounded through the tunnels, echoing around every corner in the proximities of her group's working location. To her right, Ymir had dropped his tool to the ground and was celebrating with his hands in the air as other miners approached to watch. Some of them approached her as well, congratulating her with pats on the back and squeezes on her shoulder. She congratulated each of them in turn.

Where Ymir had been working the rock, a fist-sized section revealed a handful of Ignitite on the other side. The pile gave off enough light to outline her colleague, despite the rest of the tunnel's already decent illumination.

She was yet to break the part of the wall she had been working at for a while now.

The group of congratulators dissolved as quickly as it formed. Most returned to their own areas, a few stayed to clean the area and relocate the rocks from around the feet of Ymir and Eysha's group.

- The third this month. �" said Ylva, Ymir's twin brother - It's like you have a nose for this.

- Of course, - said Ymir - and if your tea...

- I was referring to Eysha.

Her pick finally pierced the rock.

And now was stuck in a crack the impact itself opened. Trying to retrieve it with moderate strength turned out to be futile, so she leveraged a leg on the wall to attempt and pry it free more vigorously. 

- It was your brother who revealed the Ignitite - said Eysha, struggling to remove the pick - the achievement is his. I just happened to work in the same area.

Ylva dropped a rock into the basket and put his arms around his waist.

- Well, be that as it may, - he said - you are from the same group and I hope to see you at the celebration tonight.

She hummed an affirmation, hissing with the effort of recovering her tool, trapped by the wall. Ylva left his basket on the ground and approached her.

- Wait, let me give you a hand with…

The pick came free suddenly. Eysha took a couple of steps back, propelled by the force with which she had been pulling and pushing. With her pickaxe, she also had snatched loose a chuck of rock from the face of the wall, as big as a grown man's head. Hidden moments ago behind the stone, the Ignitite was clearly visible now, an extension of the one Ymir had discovered a few moments ago.

This one was a much larger chunk than the one everyone celebrated earlier.

© 2024 Shazuno


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on May 7, 2024
Last Updated on May 7, 2024