Deadlines and Due Dates

Deadlines and Due Dates

A Story by Shelby Noël
"

Pretty depressing ngl. Alcohol, suicide and car accident mentions so please don't read this if you know you can't handle it. Enjoy :) xx

"
soun He peered over the edge, feeling tracks of wet tears make their way down his cheek, stinging in the brisk, cold wind.
He didn't want to, not really. He questioned whether he was about to commit to this decision he could never come back from. Was he ready to cut the story short? He didn't have an answer for himself.
He didn't feel certain about it. He wondered how many other people had been in his place and whether they felt the way he did. Did they know they were ready to die? Or were they just as unsure as he? Do you ever really know? He couldn't tell you from experience.
It wasn't until he had thought about the love he had lost, still-shots of the those moments racing through the forefront of his mind, each one a fraction of a millisecond in length, that he had set his decision in stone.
That girl was the only thing he was living for. Having her gone just didn't feel right, and he knew it never would. The girl was absolute perfection and he knew he could never find anyone better. And what's worse? It was all his fault.
He leaned against the cold, metal bar behind him with closed eyes. It was too much. His intrusive thoughts had overstepped the barrier. It was time to let go.
He stubbed out his cigarette, threw back a shot of Whatever-The-Hell he snatched from the cupboard on his way out, and took a deep, full breath.
"Goodnight, Moon," he spoke gently. "Be good to her."
                         -------------------------------------------------------
As he plummeted, he realized nearly every issue he had could have been resolved, had he let them. Much to his momentary dismay, there isn't an undo control in reality. His death was permanent.
                         -------------------------------------------------------
The brown-haired girl certainly was not expecting to hear her name in the daily News9 report, nor was she expecting the reason that followed it.
She was on her way to the boy's house when she heard the story and slammed on the brakes in shock.
Without a moment's notice, the car was side blinded with a fatal blow.
                         -------------------------------------------------------
That evening, two correlating names made headlines in the paper.
Neither were yet due.

© 2015 Shelby Noël


Author's Note

Shelby Noël
Really NOT my favourite piece but the basic plot was what I was really trying to get across

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The basic plot came across well. The ending really tied the whole piece together. I've found that short stories, such as yours, are difficult to wrap up-to bring to a close with a sufficient enough ending to make the piece worthwhile without it sounding "campy." I would just change the "whatever the hell" booze to his father's scotch perhaps lol. Gives the narration authenticity.

BTW, thank you for your review the other day. Your words were very kind.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelby Noël

8 Years Ago

Awe, thank you! Yeah, "whatever-the-hell" was a total place filler hahaha. I meant everything I said.. read more



Reviews

Nice story. It has an excellent ending bringing the whole thing neatly to a close.

I think you might need to read through carefully as you jump from past to present tense in a couple of places (it may just be my reading)

Perhaps a little more description of time a place would add texture but if you do don't go overboard as you will detract from the narrative thrust.

Good job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


The basic plot came across well. The ending really tied the whole piece together. I've found that short stories, such as yours, are difficult to wrap up-to bring to a close with a sufficient enough ending to make the piece worthwhile without it sounding "campy." I would just change the "whatever the hell" booze to his father's scotch perhaps lol. Gives the narration authenticity.

BTW, thank you for your review the other day. Your words were very kind.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelby Noël

8 Years Ago

Awe, thank you! Yeah, "whatever-the-hell" was a total place filler hahaha. I meant everything I said.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 5, 2015
Last Updated on December 5, 2015
Tags: deadlines and due dates, short story, romance, depression, suicide, major character death

Author

Shelby Noël
Shelby Noël

Purcell, OK



About
17 I just like writing more..

Writing
Flicker Flicker

A Poem by Shelby Noël