The Selection

The Selection

A Story by Stanethia R. Miller
"

Melynas, a Nepi woman coming of age, shall soon select a mate from amongst the eligible men of Suurlinn. But she is not satisfied with her options.

"
She did not feel comely, though she had reached the age of attraction. Nepi women matured much quicker in mind and form than their male counterparts. Melynas knew her time to select a mate was soon approaching, yet she was not content with the Nepi males in her village. Mzazi would not be pleased with this matter.

Oh how Mzazi longed for Melynas to select a mighty Nepi like Tatay, one who is quick to defend and finds pleasure in working with his hands-- traits Nepi men are well noted for possessing. Melynas had heard whispered tales among her fellow Nepis of eligible boys and their assets. Zuti, the most sought after, was skilled in archery-- able to bring home several satchels of game a day. But his silence disturbed Melynas. Zuti only spoke when spoken to, only when necessary. She often wondered if he imagined things. Though he was pleasing to the eye, she longed for more.

Melynas often thought of the men of Crven and how much more their demeanors suited her liking. Men of intellect; men with vivid imaginations. Thinkers, readers, writers, speakers. Crven men sought to know more than just the metropolis of Suurlinn. She was not content with mating that resulted in transforming her beryl countenance to a somber jade, indicating conception and motherhood. Though Mzazi wore it well. Tatay always gazed at her with great desire. But Melynas questioned whether Taty missed the innocence of Mzazi's blueness. Mating with a Crven would trade her beryl for a more regal hue of amethyst. This, too, would not please Mzazi.

The sound of her siblings' cries of joy broke her concentration and she realized she was still staring out of the window.Tatay was home. Melynas knew it would be easier to discuss this with him. She also knew the perfect time for this discussion would be while he put away his hunting equipment. Tatay always had a clear mind after his duties were done. Melynas ran outside to greet Tatay but was hindered by her siblings bombarding him with questions about his day. She knew this would be a while.

Mzazi appeared in the doorway and her eyes met Tatay's. Melynas knew that look well. They needed to talk to her. She greeted Tatay with a kiss on the cheek and quickly removed the game bag from his shoulder. Baliq for dinner-- her favorite to prepare. Melynas rushed around to the back of the house to clean the fish, hoping to avoid the impending discussion of her selection.

She knew what Tatay would say-- listen to your heart-- while Mzazi would say use your head. But how is she to know which is right? Her face burned with anger at the thought of her selection. Why must we women select our mates? But Melynas knew why. She understood that the women had a greater responsibility of carrying life and furthering the Nepi people. She also understood that leaving Nepi meant taking away from her people and adding to another-- something frowned upon by most elders.
_____________________

Dinner was finished, the kitchen was clean, and her family in bed for the night. And Melynas was still left with a heavy heart. Tatay and Mzazi more than likely did not mean to add any pressure to her, but the talk only increased her anxiety.

They reminded her how important the selection is for the Nepi people to live on; how no matter how rough the match may seem at first, it always works out in the end. Melynas replayed Mzazi's selection of Tatay in her mind. Tatay was the least eligible at the time of selection. He was not good at hunting and struggled to even make eye contact with Mzazi for years growing up. But his tenacity is what drew Mzazi. He never gave up. She knew that tenacity was a quality she could use to help mold and shape Tatay into the man he was today. But Mzazi was always quick to remind Melynas that it was hard work.

Nen came to mind as Mzazi and Tatay spoke to her that night. Her dearest friend. She'd never even considered him until now. Hard work, indeed. Nen was always being teased by the other Nepi males for befriending Melynas over them. It was out of the ordinary for males and females to interact much outside of classes until the selection. But Nen was always following Melynas around, listening to her tales of life outside Suurlinn and how Nepi life didn't suit her. Nen spoke of life in Crven often, too. He figured he would fit in better since the men of Crven weren't the most physical.

She lay in her bed, staring out of her window into the night sky. In two more moons, it would be her time of selection. She was already well versed in conception and motherhood, household duties, and her role amongst the Nepi people. She would be a girls teacher in the younger grades, before the talk of selection is brought up. It was a much simpler time for Melynas-- to be able to dream of a life far fetched from what reality would soon be.
_________________________

The morning had come: the day of the selection. Melynas pondered her options again. Nen, who she knew well. Nen, who would be hard work. Zuti, who Mzazi would be proud to have as a son-in-law. Their families were close and if the elders saw her vote for him, she'd easily be given him over the other Nepi women. Or, she could forfeit her selection in Nepi and leave for Crven, and risk being the selected. Decisions, decisions. She wondered with what choice would she be happiest.

Melynas had already prepared her hair. The blue dazzled in the morning light; her headdress brilliant and sparkling. Mzazi had polished it with a special concoction only used on the finest metals and gems. Her dress hugged her skin just right, not revealing too much. Tatay had drilled into her the importance of the mystery of a Nepi woman. Too often, the young women in her village disregarded this sage advice from their parents and opted for a less imaginable look. Melynas was ready.

She and her family walked to the village circle where the council of the elders and the rest of the village awaited. The boys of Nepi looked quite dapper in their garbs. Today, they would become men upon being selected. Melynas was nervous. She searched the crowd for Nen. When their eyes met, she felt a calm come over her. He had no clue he was even a prospect for Melynas. But she was content with selecting him. She was sure she could make an honest man out of him, as Mzazi had done for Tatay.

Grand Elder Eboq stood before the villagers and gave the opening address. He spoke of how important the woman is to any society, being life bearers and sustainers. Melynas began searching the crowd again, but this time her eyes met Zuti's. But he wasn't looking at her. He seemed to look past her at Yama. Sweet Yama. She wasn't the most resourceful woman but she had a heart of gold. She would make Zuti happy and would be more than willing to fill their home with many lives.

Soon, Melynas heard her name called. It was time. She had already written her selection on her ballot and handed it over to the elders. Grand Elder Eboq's lips curled into a grin. He seemed pleased with the selection. He called Mzazi and Lepnit, Nen's father, to the council of elders. Grand Elder Eboq inquired of Lepnit what traits Nen could bring to the union and what support Melynas could provide to make him a productive husband, father, and villager. Mzazi, then set forth all that Melynas was capable of.

Melynas could not look out into the crowd. She was not certain of Nen's possible reaction to her selection of him. When she finally worked up the courage to look out, Nen was already at her side. He was gazing at her the way Tatay looks at Mzazi. She had missed the entire acceptance portion of the ceremony. She never heard Nen's name called to come forth. Nor did she hear him accept her as his wife. They were now betrothed. And the next year would be spent with Nen learning how to build their home and succesfully hunt, taught by Tatay. Melynas would be learning what Nen needs from her to fulfill her role as life bearer and sustainer. And together, they would dream of what life would be like outside of Nepi, outside of Suurlinn.

© 2016 Stanethia R. Miller


Author's Note

Stanethia R. Miller
I was coloring and the idea to write a short story came from the image.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
Added on November 15, 2016
Last Updated on November 15, 2016
Tags: Coming of age, teens, marriage, love, fiction, female protagonist

Author

Stanethia R. Miller
Stanethia R. Miller

East Chicago, IN



About
25. Married. SAHM of 2. Torah Observant. Future Educator. Loved. I've always enjoyed writing and am using this outlet to challenge and express myself. more..