Death or Deception

Death or Deception

A Story by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

Creative Writing class; We had to incorporate 5 words into this story and have a twist in the plot. The five words were: "Lackadaisical", "Doppelganger", "Benevolent", "Sexy" and "Deception".

"
Death or Deception

I watch her gently get placed in her eternal resting place. It is the most comfortable, elegant casket I’ve seen in my life. It is lined with sexy red velvet, like her favorite cake. The outside of the casket was white much like frosting. Mother still strokes her head, something she has done since she was a baby. Father was as stern as ever, not shedding a tear or showing any emotion. He’s always been the lackadaisical, introverted type. Her friends were all sobbing, crying hysterical; some more than most because maybe they felt guilty. The culprit couldn’t even make it to the funeral for multiple reasons. I hope he was feeling guilty. She looks so peaceful though. Her skin was almost fully healed, but it doesn’t matter anymore. Everyone that knew her will remember her the way she was before the accident.

Just over a week ago I and my sister and my boyfriend went to a house party. It was for older kids but I let her tag along anyways. House party are always a dangerous thing to take part in though, especially college ones. When we got there it was around 11 o’clock and every girl already had a hickey on their neck. Some were making out on the couches, some were playing drinking games or gambling. I see boys whispering lies into the ears of their girlfriends and them whispering lies back. I even see one couple go into the backroom, about to engage in sex knowing that in the morning that may be their biggest regret. That was a risk they were willing to take. I and my boyfriend go into one of those back rooms. I left my sister to fend for herself; I know she can handle it though.
While he is kissing me ever so tenderly I whisper in his ear, “I know what you did.”
That sentence doesn’t faze him; he continues to kiss me, slowly moving down my body. “She pregnant and I know you did it”. The words take a moment to hit him.
“What and who are you talking about?”
“My sister!” I shoved him off of me.
“What!?”
“I know you did, she told me so!” I clench my hand into a fist, ready to beat the s**t out of him, but I kept my cool.
“You really believe her?! Why would I do something like that?”
“I knew you were sick and twisted, but raping her? Why?” I try to catch my breath. “Those looks you always gave her though, I should have known.”
“Really?! I sure as hell didn’t rape her.”
“So you admit sleeping with her?”
“I don’t have time for this, where is that b***h!” He stormed out the room and looked for my sister. I just began to heavily drink. I couldn’t believe that he wouldn’t own up to it.

The casket was pretty big. There is room for a baby in it, but there isn’t one in there. Instead I decided to place flowers over her head in that space.

My boyfriend finds my sister and confronts her, sometime, while I’m still in my drunken state. We all decided to leave and since I was drunk and my sister is only 16, (don’t have her license yet) he had to drive us home. I guess he had too many drinks as well because in our way home he crashes the car. I heard him bickering with my sister moments before it happened. It may have been the alcohol or he wasn’t paying attention to the road. He was barley injured, but my sister was severely injured. Me, I was somewhere in the middle, less than my sister of course.

At least Mr. Car Crasher is in jail now for involuntary manslaughter. His infatuation also got him one count of “sex with a minor” and he was registered as a sex offender. His court date was a couple days ago and I made sure I was there to testify.

My sister was put in the hospital because she was now in a coma. I had to stay there too because I was a little beat up too. The rest of us also found out that she was never pregnant, well she was but she had already got an abortion. I’m happy that she did but was also sad for her. Maybe it was a good thing since she is in a coma now. Our family and friends visit here everyday in the hospital while my boyfriend is stuck in a jail cell, where he should be, waiting for his day in court. One night, I decided to visit her alone. Her whole body was covered in scratches, bruises, and one scar on her chest. She has many I.V.’s connected to her arms, but she looks relaxed. I sat down in the chair next to her bed, and as I lowered myself to her eye level, her eyes shot open.

“A couple mornings later, the doctor declared her dead. My father was in the room when they announced it; he was the first one to hear the news. They said she died from an unknown cause along with trauma from the crash”. I tell the judge at his court hearing.
I glance in her casket one more time before they close it. My sister’s eyes begin to twitch. I ask the pallbearers if I can close the casket instead of them doing it. They allow me to do so and as I close it, a faint smile came across her face.

At the hospital that night I talked with my sister one last time. I and she wanted to make sure he would be put away forever; he is a monster and deserves it. Being charged with “sex with a minor” wasn’t enough. Since my sister still remembers what happened that night, even after being a coma, more than I do when I was only drunk, we came up with a plan. My sister heard of a drug that just might do the trick. It can’t be detected in the blood-stream so it was perfect.

I and my sister knew that her boyfriend was cheating on her with me. We knew he was crazy enough to drive drunk and try to kill my, our, unborn child. We were successful in our plan. He was also charged with “premeditated murder” and now will be put away for 40yrs to life. Now I watch her casket get lowered into her gravesite, happy that she gave up her life to let me live mine. They began shoveling the dirt over her, slowly burying her. With every shovel, I felt a heavy load lift off of me. I’m surprised we pulled this off. As everyone else walked away, I stayed behind. My sister seemed happy too. The drug was wearing off and she was waking up. I put my ear to the ground and I hear a distant laughter from a deception of a grave. It was a joyful laughter, a relieved laughter, a loving sister laugh. Some may say that I’m the evil doppelganger of my sister for doing this, but I say I’m far more benevolent.

© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


Author's Note

Jasmine S. Edwards
Was the ending predictibale or were you not expecting it?
Were you confused?
Were you intrigued?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on March 25, 2014

Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing