D

D

A Story by Griffin Holmes

Lonely took to the streets shrouded beneath concrete Gods. Reaching to the heavens, they offered everything to a man who chose to over-stimulate his life. The best of times lead Lonely down a painless, yet deadly path. Lonely never placed his curiosity in offerings above, but rather in dark, simplistic ones that lay about the glimmering lights of green, yellow, and red. Occasionally, he would work and earn his own wages. But while his old friend Jesus chose to save, Lonely spent it all. He never invested in anything higher than himself, for he feared the unknown. Dream and Destiny left messages of concern on his phone, but he chose to ignore them. Instead, he called upon Desire and Destruction, who immediately responded with their own malicious intent for their so-called "friend".
Lonely met up with his friends one last time. "Let us dance, drink, fornicate, and speak a language all our own!", they suggested. Lonely once found joy in such things, but he now saw the clockwork that would return him to midnight with no such change. He glanced up above where walls did not face him. The clouds appeared dark from below, and reverbed with drums from various directions. Yet, the air looked crisper, and transparent. The unexplored levels of floor pierced through and beyond. With these images, Lonely began to imagine what-ifs and who-ares. He drifted away from his friends, and back down to unanswered invitations within his phone.
A bolt of motivation fluctuated throughout his body, and he remained inanimate no longer. Lonely leapt away. Each street dragged as he exceeded their lengths at an unheard of pace. Once home, on the very first floor, he found the stairs and took the first steps. They echoed, but soon became synchronized percussion as he moved on hastily. At the next level, he knocked on the door. Within seconds it opened with no trouble. Dream and Destiny stood before Lonely.
Dream said, "Take my hand, and together, we can look at what you imagine. Through work, effort, pain, and trust, you can make the things you had never pictured before a reality, and they will never grow old". Lonely took Dream's hand. Destiny said, "Now take my hand with your other. There is only one place you can end up, but the possibilities of where and how are endless. Combined with the promises of Dream, I can show you who you are". Lonely then took Destiny's hand, and together they began their ascension up the stairs.
Lonely looked outside a window in passing, and saw a glimmer of white from the clouds. He could not quite make it out, but he knew that whatever it was, he admired it, and bathed in the newfound feeling that was growing inside him. "From now on, my name isn't Lonely," he said. Dream and Destiny looked at each other, and they smiled. "What shall we call you, then?", they asked. Lonely smiled at both of them, and declared, "Call me Loved!".

© 2014 Griffin Holmes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on March 16, 2014
Last Updated on March 16, 2014

Author

Griffin Holmes
Griffin Holmes

Auburn, AL



About
I'm a young man who aspires to be a screenwriter and film director. Life has thrown me obstacles, so I do the only thing I know how to do, I write about them and their outcomes. Everyone has a story t.. more..

Writing