The Gift

The Gift

A Story by Milady_Alice_Clare

As she stood waiting on the doorstep after ringing the bell, she thought she must look a right state; her scruffy Converses and baggy work shirt, her make-up faded and smudged, her hair in its post-work flop. Not quite the dazzling heroine, with her hair blowing seductively in the wind, dressed immaculately, her skin flawless, waiting to be bestowed with a gift from her lover. 

Holding the tiny box in her hand, she blinked in the blinding sunlight and hurried back to the car. He had sent the gift back with Susa's aunt who had been visiting Italy for the Easter holidays. The significance of him buying her a gift and actually sendng it was lost on her. She took it in her stride as if it was something that happened all the time to her.

Back in her room at home, she rummaged around in her handbag where she had casually thrown the box. Finding it, she placed on the dresser next to the unopened cards she had already received. It sat there for the rest of the evening. Now and again, her eyes would flick over to it but she resisted the urge to peek inside.

The following morning, her birthday, she delayed opening her cards and presents until she had showered, dressed and fixed her hair and make-up. 

Finally, she picked up the small blue box with matching ribbon. Suspecting what was inisde, she unstuck the glued ribbon and pulled the lid off. 

© 2015 Milady_Alice_Clare


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whaaaa? You're going to leave it there? And here I was hoping for something shiny or a special key or something.... Still, it's nice writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 10, 2015
Last Updated on May 10, 2015

Author

Milady_Alice_Clare
Milady_Alice_Clare

London, West Essex, United Kingdom



About
Recently completed the seventh draft of my novel. Also looking to share more of my other work. I've been writing since I was a kid and it has always been my dream to become a published writer. I'm pas.. more..

Writing