Bear With Me

Bear With Me

A Story by Milady_Alice_Clare

So this is a story about me. I have always kind of thought of myself as a heroine. Most people I meet probably think I have a pretty boring life and am a dull person, and I wouldn't necessarily dispute that. So I doubt I come across as the type of girl who could drive a plot, be it in a movie or book. But hey, we live in hope. 

I think of the quote, 'be the hero of your own story', which if I remember correctly, Gerard Butler says in Nim's Island. I like it. Why shouldn't I be a heroine? I have a story to share and tell, I believe I have some heroic qualities. But if it doesn't thrill or interest you, then apologies in advance. I am, after all, only human.

As a bit of a nerd, I have spent a lot of time with my nose buried in books, caught up in TV dramas and watching movies, so I know heroes . There are many types of heroes and many different things that make them heroes; extreme acts of bravery, fortitude, perserverance, intelligence, victories, success, helping people, being selfless, pushing their limits. Some we idolise as role models, they inspire us, plaster them over our bedroom walls, sports people, singers, musicians, actors, fictional characters. 

I have hundreds; there's Mr Darcy, Percy Blakeney, Ross Poldark, Aragorn, Han Solo, Batman, Tony Stark, Patrick Jane, Sherlock Holmes, Gene Hunt just to name a few of the fictional ones. Just to give you an idea of the kind of guys I regard as heroes. Yeah, I live inside my imagination but here's the rub. The point I am trying to make is, we grow up with stereotypes of what we think a hero is. But truth is, a lot of the time, in reality we often don't recognise the heroes in our lives.

Heroes don't always gallop up to you on a white horse, their hair rippling in the breeze and sweep you up into their arms - more's the pity. They don't dive topless into shark infested waters to rescue you while getting their butt chewed by a great white - sacrifices should be made. They don't scale mountains and survive after they lose all their supplies - well have you heard it happen? They don't chase us to the airport to beg us not to leave for our new life in Hawaii - yeah we frickin' wish! They don't take out twenty bad guys single-handedly with guns, knives and their bare hands, then light a cigarette, before pulling you into a clinch - unfortunately; I cry every day because this doesn't happen. Yes, I do get carried away with my imagination sometimes, like it's a bad thing. 

So back to what I was trying to say is - sorry, getting distracted - the real heroes in your life are those that change it, often unknowingly, for the better. Sometimes, it is a fleeting moment and then they are gone, or they are a frequent or constant presence. They are family, best friends, partners, acquaintances, strangers. Basically, they can be absolutely anyone in your life - should have just said that in the first place. 
Enough of an introduction and on with the story . . . . . . . 

© 2015 Milady_Alice_Clare


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is well written and I believe, honest and true. Like you, I love to find fictional characters to identify with, but know there are many, many real ones who we'll probably never hear of. I enjoyed reading this.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Milady_Alice_Clare

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment, it is much appreciated. I'm glad you e.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 20, 2015
Last Updated on August 20, 2015

Author

Milady_Alice_Clare
Milady_Alice_Clare

London, West Essex, United Kingdom



About
Recently completed the seventh draft of my novel. Also looking to share more of my other work. I've been writing since I was a kid and it has always been my dream to become a published writer. I'm pas.. more..

Writing