Flute

Flute

A Story by Shilpa
"

A short story inspired by a real life incident.

"

The voice speaking to me was less than a mumble now. Then the chug tug of the train drowned it completely. I listened intently, waited. Whilst trying to understand the indecipherable commotion on the line, i strained to order my thoughts and my temper. A decision needed to be made. I looked out the window on my right, longingly at a sign that seemed to be calling out to me.

And then slowly it all melted away. The sea of traffic surrounding me and the voice in my head that was tearing me apart bothered me no more. I could worship the red of the signal post that had seemed hellish just a few moments ago. As the train grew quieter as it slowed, a tune flooded my mind. Even the mindless holler resounding in the backdrop of the flute seemed to subdue. I clung on to the phone straining my ears as if my life depended on it, for I did not want to miss a single note. It was melancholic. A story about loss. As I felt the moisture in my eyes, I realized the gravity of the decision I had made. I was at peace with myself.

It stopped. It lasted for seconds and I lived hours in it. As the train stopped, her voice hit me loud and shrill. It was not clear, I could not make out the words. Or perhaps it was just me. Not listening anymore. I switched the phone off and slid it into my pocket. As the signal turned green, I knew exactly which road to take.

© 2013 Shilpa


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 11, 2013
Tags: Choice, Decision, Life, Priorities

Author

Shilpa
Shilpa

Bangalore, Karnataka, India



Writing
Forward Forward

A Poem by Shilpa