The distant Tower

The distant Tower

A Story by Shinya Akame
"

A man with a forgotten past travels to a distant tower in a distant city in hopes it holds the answers he seeks.

"

The distant tower

 

I sincerely hope these papers are found and not overlooked by anyone who will find my soon to be corpse as I have found something that any survivors need to know. If a human does get ahold of this please head to the tower in sector seven where the outbreak is believed to have started as that is where the answers lye. In the center of the outbreak lays a research laboratory and in the center of that a tower, a tower that may contain something that will stop them from spreading though I know not the name of the city as every sign as either been corroded by time or destroyed by some other means.

I am on my way to the tower myself to try and find the answers to far too many questions and I write this as a precautionary measure as to my knowledge I am the only one who knows this information as I have not encountered anyone since learning of the tower. So if I do die before I make it to the tower someone can carry on in my stead. If you are reading this in the case of my death I implore you to take these papers, my firearm and any provisions I have in my backpack and finish what I began. Though I cannot stop you from looting my body and simply ignoring this but if that is your intent at least carry this note and pass it on to someone else who may be willing.

The tower is in sight far before you enter the city proper, the highways are littered with rusted cars and overgrown vegetation much like everywhere else though the main road does have a large blockade and painted upon it are the words “Welcome home” the blockade itself is abandoned and has the corpse of one of those things nailed to the front, the malformed and misshapen abomination of a creature whose origins are unknown. These things  litter the city’s vast underground network, there are marked safe houses along every main road (at least to my knowledge) so before those monsters bellow swarm the streets be sure to find a nice spot to spend the night.

From what I can see I am half way to the tower, after years of traveling and seeing countless horrible abominations far too terrible in their hideous nature to even comprehend completely, after all of this I am nearly at my destination. My supplies run low and my ammunition is running thin, I fear I may not have enough for the return home.

As the night grew ever longer I found it somewhat hard to sleep due to the grotesque sounds from the streets below as the hundreds if not thousands of creatures swarmed the roads. I tip to anyone who is dealing with this problem, simply shoot a few from the safety of your rooftop. The get startled by the sound for a moment then eat the corpses, it gets rid of the scratching sounds.

I am closer to the tower, after days of walking closer to the tower only for it to appear the same distance away I am finally so close. I sit at the top floor of an apartment complex; I can only assume it served as living quarters for the people who used to inhabit the research facility. Out of the window I can see the towers front door but I have noticed something about the creatures bellow, they seem to avoid getting close to the tower itself, all but one in fact, one much larger than the rest seams to guard the door. The monsters aren’t that smart though, all they do it wonder around and kill things, no better than zombies but this one seems to actually have some form of intelligence. If I were still being accompanied by the wardens I’m sure they would want to study this creature but I left that life behind no there is no point dwelling on it. Honestly a part of me is afraid that the tower won’t contain the knowledge I seek, I fear as if this may have been for naught but I must retain hope.

Well now I know everything and now that I do I wish I hadn’t. There is no way to stop the outbreak of monsters, there is no cure and they will continue to be manufactured. I have been on this lonely road for so long I had all but forgotten.     My name is Doctor Samuel Hayden and I am the head of the biochemical warfare institute in which I stand and my endless pursuit for knowledge is the cause for the state of the word and for that…I am sorry.

© 2017 Shinya Akame


Author's Note

Shinya Akame
Any reviews would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on July 8, 2017
Last Updated on August 26, 2017
Tags: diary, fantasy, dark themes, fictional world, ponderfull

Author

Shinya Akame
Shinya Akame

New Zealand



About
Some guy who does the writing thing out of boredom. (somewhat illiterate) more..

Writing