On Labour Day Joe Issa Salutes Staff, Jamaican Workers

On Labour Day Joe Issa Salutes Staff, Jamaican Workers

A Story by Sally Shiv
"

Acknowledging that throughout the world there is at least one day on which people willingly work for free, and Jamaicans are no exception, Philanthropist Joe Issa, says Jamaica’s Labour Day tradition

"

Acknowledging that throughout the world there is at least one day on which people willingly work for free, and Jamaicans are no exception, Philanthropist Joe Issa, says Jamaica’s Labour Day tradition must be encouraged and preserved.

 

“I know many people who have to go to work on Labour Day would, if they have a choice, forego the pay day in order to work for free on their favourite Labour Day project. I think this is commendable for Jamaican workers and my employees in particular, many of whom will be labouring for non-economic gain.

 

“I think it’s a great tradition that should be celebrated, honoured and sustained for future generations as, even if only on that day, everybody rally behind a cause and execute it with more enthusiasm than they would in their paying jobs,” says Issa, who gives to charity through his Cool Group subsidiary, Cool Charities headquartered in Ocho Rios, St. Ann.

 

Recognizing the pre-Labour Day hype among his employees, Issa says, “I love the excitement that brings; everybody is in good spirit and there is an air of unity in the office, as they talk about their upcoming favourite Labour Day project.”

 

Noting that this year’s national Labour Day project - keeping the country clean �" is timely, given the threat of the Zika Virus, Issa says, “Coming together in the face of adversity is one of the most positive things that are typically Jamaican, and we must be proud of it, but not taken for granted.”

 

“Our children and grandchildren must grow up hearing about Labour Day and seeing us doing things which they never thought we would do, such as cleaning drains and gullies, painting a school, scrubbing the walls of a community centre or getting really dirty clearing debris, and having fun while doing so,” Issa says, stating, “This is what that is going to sustain our labour Day tradition.”

 

It has been estimated that many thousands of people participate in Labour Day projects across the island each year and the value of work done amounts to millions of dollars.

 

Says Issa: “It’s probably the nation’s most productive day, not only because it gets something for nothing on the day, but because Labour Day rekindles a feel-good spirit that lasts long after the day is over, during which people work harder and smarter.”

 

Joe Issa is said to have one of the most productive employees among Jamaican companies and, like his most recognizable face, the Cool Group has one of the most colourful uniforms on the island and can be seen as far as the eyes can see.

 

© 2017 Sally Shiv


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe