Personal and Corporate Responsibility: Giving Back is a Must – Joe Issa

Personal and Corporate Responsibility: Giving Back is a Must – Joe Issa

A Story by Sally Shiv
"

Philanthropist Joe Issa welcomes the call made by the new prime minister for persons and businesses locally and in the Diaspora to give back to their country in whatever way they can.

"

Prime Minister Holness, who made the point in his inaugural speech to the nation said, “It is important that the citizens of Independent Jamaica have a sense of entitlement to good service from their country. However, increasingly this is not being balanced with a duty of giving back.”


“I am heartened by the PM’s call for persons and institutions to freely share their knowledge, skills and money for the betterment of society, from participating in civic activities and helping the disadvantaged, to donating to worthy causes,” says Issa, who has several charities in his name.

 

By the time Issa was in his early 20s he had already formed three foundations to give books and supplies to underprivileged Jamaican and Caribbean schools, develop young children through sports and give scholarships to bright Jamaican children for them to attend his alma mater university in the United States.

 

In addition, as a past director and President of the St. Ann Chamber of Commerce Issa has contributed enormously to public discourse on issues affecting Jamaica generally, and the development of the town of Ocho Rios, St. Ann in particular, where his Cool Group of companies is headquartered and from which Issa continues to give back through a subsidiary, Cool Charities.

In his presentation, the prime minister acknowledged what Issa and many persons like him have been contributing to the island when he said, “Jamaica has benefited significantly from the civic pride and sense of nationhood that drove so many to give generously of their talent and treasures to build our great nation…the spirit still exists, to a great extent, locally and in the Diaspora.”

 

In addition to the wider local community, the prime minister said there is a need to be more active in promoting civic responsibility, volunteerism and ‘giving back’ among our youth in particular.

 

As far as the participation of Jamaicans overseas is concerned he said there is a need “to integrate the incredible talents and assets of the Jamaican Diaspora in local development,” stating that “too often I hear complaints from the Diaspora that they experience difficulty in giving to Jamaica.” 

“Giving should be easy, as part of our Partnership for Prosperity which includes the Diaspora, we will make it easier for you to contribute to the development of your homeland,” the prime minister told the Diaspora population, many of whom were watching the inauguration ceremony live from their homes and offices in the US, Canada and Britain, to name the major countries where Jamaicans reside.

 

He adds, “Jamaica is too rich in people and talent to be a poor country. With good governance and a prospective outlook, Jamaica, within a decade or less, could emerge as a booming economy and a prosperous society.”

 

© 2017 Sally Shiv


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on July 24, 2017
Last Updated on July 24, 2017
Tags: joe Issa, Joe Issa Jamaica, Joseph Issa, Joseph Issa Jamaica, Joey Issa, Joey Issa Jamaica, Jamaica