Tourism in St. Thomas Could Change Forever How the Parish is Viewed – Joe Issa

Tourism in St. Thomas Could Change Forever How the Parish is Viewed – Joe Issa

A Story by Sally Shiv
"

Research-savvy Joe Issa says he finds it ironical that St. Thomas, which harbours so much emotion in Jamaica’s history and possesses some of the nation’s top natural attractions and heritage sites, is

"

Research-savvy Joe Issa says he finds it ironical that St. Thomas, which harbours so much emotion in Jamaica’s history and possesses some of the nation’s top natural attractions and heritage sites, is viewed as one of the poorest parishes. 


But Issa, who has supported the cruise industry in nearby Portland, argues things could change for St Thomas with the emergence of one large scale tourism project and other measures by the authorities to extend the capital Morant Bay, which is busting at the seams.


“St. Thomas has one of Jamaica’s richest history, in terms of human settlement and politics. It was there that the Tainos came ashore as far back as 650 AD and it was also there that the Morant Bay uprising occurred in 1865 which led to Jamaica becoming a Crown Colony. Paul Bogle and George William Gordon who led it are now our National Heroes. 


Moreover, St. Thomas is rich with natural attractions such as Bath Fountain mineral spring, Bath Botonical Garden where many of our popular fruits like mango, jackfruit and breadfruit were first planted and Judgement Cliff, where an earthquake caused the entire side of mountain to collapse. The parish is also replete with Monuments and Historic Buildings, such as the Morant Bay Courthouse where Paul Bogle was buried in a shallow grave.


“Yet, St. Thomas has often been regarded as the poorest parish in Jamaica, with low agricultural yield, little manufacturing and high unemployment. But this may be about to change, if ecotourism emerges as a viable development option, said Issa.


St Thomas once thrived with manufacturing during the days of Article 807 but all signs of this glorious past have vanished, as the old Good Year factory in Morant Bay crumbles into disrepair and young people left on street corners.


“Even agriculture has suffered a backlash, as heitherto farmers moved to Kingston in search of a better livelihood for themselves and their family.


“But with its potential for ecotourism, given its proximity to the Blue and John Crow Mountains, things could change for the parish,” Issa added, as he commented on a project which aims to do just that.


Coldwell Banker Marketing is currently promoting a US$25-million ($3.2 billion) property in St Thomas as a prospective resort for the ecotourism subsector.


According to Andrew Issa, head of Coldwell Bank Jamaica Realty, the company is pitching the seaside property on behalf of an unnamed client. The company’s website named the property as ‘East End’, which spans 1,044 acres and is currently the priciest residential lands for development in its portfolio.


“I will really be promoting this parish because I believe it really has that ecotourism vibe with the stunning views of the Blue Mountain behind it,” Andrew Issa was quoted in the Gleaner newspaper as saying.


The property is said to be “largely flat with sections 50 feet above sea level. It offers white sand beaches on either side of the lighthouse located on the property, some of which features wetlands and parts of which are zoned for agriculture.”


Noting that there are many nature attractions in its proximity, Andrew Issa said “it is virgin land poised for resort development…This property is over 1,500 acres so you could have bedrooms in the middle of a lagoon. I am hoping we can attract some amount of foreign investment to this side of the island.”


While stating that the St Thomas property would not benefit from the planned highway " Harbour View to Morant Bay and Morant Bay to Portland " he said the new roadway would make St Thomas more attractive overall.


Coldwell Banker Jamaica Realty was officially launched in 2001 as a franchise of the overseas realtor brand. Coldwell Banker was founded in 1906 and has 3,300 offices and almost 90,000 sales associates in 50 countries and territories, including Europe, Asia, Central America, and the Caribbean. 

© 2017 Sally Shiv


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on October 2, 2017
Last Updated on October 2, 2017
Tags: joe Issa, Joe Issa Jamaica, Joseph Issa, Joseph Issa Jamaica, Joey Issa, Joey Issa Jamaica, Jamaica