We are strong not in spite of our differences but because of them Joe Issa Likes Unity Quote of Form

We are strong not in spite of our differences but because of them Joe Issa Likes Unity Quote of Form

A Story by Sally Shiv
"

Jamaican businessman and philanthropist Joe Issa has congratulated his former guest, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, on the occasion of Canada’s 150th Independence Anniversary, stating he

"

Jamaican businessman and philanthropist Joe Issa has congratulated his former guest, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, on the occasion of Canada’s 150th Independence Anniversary, stating he supports the unity theme in his message to all Canadians.

“I read his statement today and was impressed by the unity theme which he maintained throughout…I think it was appropriate given the history of Canada.

“I particularly like the part where he made the point that Canada is strong not in spite of differences, but because of them.

“I have always been of the view that it is wise for people to unite…it makes everyone in the group stronger…that’s the story of Canada with the many cultures it has embraced for centuries.

“Unity always pays off in the end. It did for Canada when they came together to fight in the American Civil War and the world wars,” said Issa, whose comments on the wisdom of unity and folly of disunity has graced newspaper pages in Jamaica and overseas.

Issa, who has hosted both father and son in Jamaica, was commenting in an interview on the speech made by Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau on Canada Day July 1, 2017.


Justin’s father, former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, is also said to have enjoyed his holiday in Jamaica as Issa’s guest. Pierre was a well-known supporter of Jamaica and then Prime Minister, Michael Manley. 

The young Trudeau, as his country celebrates its 150th anniversary of Confederation, reflected on Canada’s past and present, and looked to the future.

“Canada’s story stretches back long before Confederation, to the first people who worked, loved, and built their lives here, and to those who came here centuries later in search of a better life for their families. In 1867, the vision of Sir George-Étienne Cartier and Sir John A. Macdonald, among others, gave rise to Confederation " an early union, and one of the moments that have come to define Canada.


“In the 150 years since, we have continued to grow and define ourselves as a country. We fought valiantly in two world wars, built the infrastructure that would connect us, and enshrined our dearest values " equality, diversity, freedom of the individual, and two official languages " in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. These moments, and many others shaped Canada into the amazing country it is today " prosperous, generous, and proud.

“At the heart of Canada’s story are millions of ordinary people doing extraordinary things. They exemplify what it means to be Canadian: ambitious aspirations, leadership driven by compassion, and the courage to dream boldly. Whether we were born here or have chosen Canada as our home, this is who we are.

“Ours is a land of Indigenous Peoples, settlers, and newcomers, and our diversity has always been at the core of our success. Canada’s history is built on countless instances of people uniting across their differences to work and thrive together.

“We express ourselves in French, English, and hundreds of other languages, we practice many faiths, we experience life through different cultures, and yet we are one country. Today, as has been the case for centuries, we are strong not in spite of our differences, but because of them,” the Prime Minister is quoted as saying in his statement on Canada Day

© 2018 Sally Shiv


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on October 12, 2017
Last Updated on February 1, 2018
Tags: joe Issa, Joe Issa Jamaica, Joseph Issa, Joseph Issa Jamaica, Joey Issa, Joey Issa Jamaica, Jamaica, Canada