Deceived: Day Of The Dead

Deceived: Day Of The Dead

A Story by SilverColtac
"

Dominic and Derek are brothers trapped within the confinement of their school. Their need to communicate with the outside world drives them to make a daring move against the Eaters. Survival is a must

"

Hello everyone. I am new and this is one of my first pieces of writing. Please review. Thank you.



Sunlight broke in through the windows, fighting away the darkness and uncovering the bloody horrors that hid within the hallways. Screams echoed from below and a gentle breeze flowed in through the open doors and windows, carrying the scent of flowers and blood throughout the school.

A student sat on the parapet of the roof looking past the school yard and to the town. Nothing could be heard, no cars, no people, and the trains that encircled it had not past by for a few days. He looked another moment then turned around to where his twin brother lay asleep. He contemplated waking him up but decided against it. He would need his energy in the next few hours.

He grabbed a bottle of water from a bag at his feet and brought it to his lips. He looked down at the schoolyard. Anger rose to the surface as he noticed a figure below him. He threw down the half-empty bottle out of spite. A few seconds of silence then a dull thud. Almost instantly screams filled the air and a swarm of Eaters rushed out of the building and encircled the bottle, all looking for fresh meat. However, the figure that had been there before had not moved, instead he looked up.

Suddenly, he scrambled inside screaming as he went. Most of the Eaters in the yard gave chase after him. Dominic realized his mistake and got to his feet. He shouted his brother’s name and shook him awake. Derek slowly awoke, his eyes sleepy, he yawned and stretched his arms.

A bang came from the stairs, Derek didn’t budge, instead he sleepily rubbed his eyes. In frustration Dominic slapped him across the face. Shocked by the pain that seared through his cheek he jumped up and started shouting. The noise excited the Eaters at the door and they screamed in choir.

Derek realised what was going on and grabbed a hammer that he had taken from his technology room. Without saying a word, he and Dominic raced towards the opposite side of the roof. Below them was the other school building, the roof was a few metres down. They both threw down their bags in unison and began to get down. They used the parapet to lower themselves another metre than jumped.

With a metallic thud, they landed on the roof. Below the parapet was a smashed window. They took their bags and entered the building through it. They went to the art room and locked the door behind them. They sat enjoying the silence and the final peace.

Derek glanced at Dominic.

‘Dom, we have to get a phone, or some form of communication.’

‘Ye’, I know. We have to get to the secretary’s office. They have a phone there.’

Derek nodded.

Dominic realized that the screaming had stopped and silence had taken its place, with this silence came an audible scratch from behind the door. Derek hadn’t noticed.

Dominic listened closely. There was no screaming, it knew they were in there so it should have made some noise.

‘There’s someone outside!’

Derek looked towards the door.

‘It could be a zombie.’

‘No, there is no screaming, it must be a person.’

They walked towards the door Dominic with his hammer. Derek opened the door while Dominic prepared to strike if needed.

The door opened, Dominic just stared.

Derek emerged from behind it and gasped.

Slowly Leo crawled towards him.

Leo, had been Derek’s best friend, he was also the only reason Derek is still alive at this moment.

Derek had been walking home from school. Music blasting in his ears he glanced from side to side and began to cross the street. A drunk driver came towards at over 110 kph. Leo noticed and called out but Derek was oblivious to the world. The driver showed no signs of stopping. Leo had run on the road and pushed Derek out of the way. Leo took the full impact of the car. His legs crushed and spine almost severed.

And now he slowly made he way toward him, covered in blood.

Dominic looked at him frozen. Without warning, he kicked Leo’s head caving in his skull. He shut the door, leaving him outside. Derek turned to Dominic enraged.

‘How could you do that? You know what he did for me. How could you just kill him like that?’

‘To survive and to defeat monsters you have to abandon your humanity. He was already dead, I didn’t kill him, I just killed the monster pretending to be him. Remember this, you must do anything to survive. ANYTHING!’

Derek sat down and stared at the ground gently nodding his head.

 

After getting some rest.

They delicately making their way out of the art room, avoiding the corpse of Leo. No Eaters had been through this part of the school in a long time. This was due to the small quantity of students that had been here in the first place.

The yard was clear, they sprinted from safe zone to safe zone, steering clear of places that gave Eaters a clear view of them.

They made it to the main building with no problems. As they entered they were aware of a faint dripping sound, they made their way into the office locking the door behind them. Dominic picked up the phone and dialed 911. A faint beep followed.

In the instant that beep sounded, a scream rang through the office, echoing off of every surface. An Eater scrambled from the back, intent to kill. Derek immediately started to turn the lock in the door, now realizing the mistake that could get them killed.

Dominic kept the Eater busy, hitting it with the hammer, and trying his best not to get bit. The door clicked and opened. Dominic gave the Eater one last wack and chased after Derek. Glancing to his left he noticed a bunch of Eaters joining the chase.

Dominic sprinted up the stairs, two or three at a time. A lone table sat in the hallway.

‘Derek!’

Derek turned around.

‘Grab the desk!’

Derek gave a nod and picked up one end of the desk.

The Eaters had made their way into the school and were now scrambling over one another trying to get up the stairs.

Fear struck Derek’s heart.

‘Hey Dom…..remember what you said earlier? That you have to do anything to survive?’

‘Ye’ what about it?’

Without another word, Derek twisted the table and pushed it along with Dominic into the incoming horde and ran.

Dominic stared at him run, as he fell, surprise etched on his face, then anger.

‘DEREK!!’

Dominic screamed as he was cannibalized.

 

 

Dominic opened his eyes, blood surrounded him.

He looked around, then at his body. The Moss had already started to heal him. He stood up, then remembered Derek. He screamed in anger. He suddenly realized that he was hungry and that Derek would make the perfect meal.

© 2017 SilverColtac


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

SilverColtac
Every and all reviews welcome. Please rate and tell me what you think and how I could improve.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on March 2, 2017
Last Updated on March 2, 2017
Tags: Zombie, horror

Author

SilverColtac
SilverColtac

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland