Angels Do Have Wings

Angels Do Have Wings

A Story by Janice

Angels Do Have Wings

 

     Our daughter was the love of our lives.  This was the same child that Bob and I prayed so faithfully and relentlessly for, with every passing day for five years straight. Alas after those very long but hopeful years, we were finally blessed by God to have our prayers so graciously answered. I suppose that’s what led us to name our blonde haired, blue eyed, little beautiful angel, Faith.  She was flawless in our eyes, a bundle of joy in which my husband Bob had so fondly and lovingly molded into daddy’s little girl.

 

Faith was only eight years old when Bob was called out to cover Flight #192, from Boston to New York.  Technically, it was to his day off, but he and his fellow pilots always covered for each other if need be and today was to be, just one of those days.

Faith of course was somewhat disappointment that her father had to leave so abruptly for work and our day planned at the park would now have to be postponed. Bob was also left feeling a bit guilty, so he made a promise to his little angel that he would have something extra special to give her from his trip. You know, to help buffer Faiths pain a little, of course.   

 

Her response to this was with a kiss and a hug, as she embraced Bob so tightly around his neck you could actually see it turning red. It was then I heard her whispers inside his ear, “Daddy, please don’t forget to call at my bedtime so you can tell me goodnight!” 

Why darling, I would never forget to tell you goodnight, otherwise I could never be at rest myself if I did!  With a kiss and a hug for me as well, Bob alas headed out the front door.

 

Faith and I decided to spend a mother, daughter day together by sharing pizza and popcorn while watching some of her favorite movies. As it became closer to her bedtime, I told Faith to pick out a book so I could read her a story.  Perhaps by the time we were done, her daddy would be calling to say goodnight too, I thought. Well, one book led to two, and two to three, and oddly enough, still there was no phone call from Bob.

I began to get worried, as Bob always made good on his promises, especially when concerning his miracle child, as he always liked to refer to her as.

Faith as well began to question her father’s whereabouts. As she said to me so intensely, “He promised to call me and say goodnight, where is he mommy?”

 

Finally, and in due time, the phone rang.  See sweetheart, I told her, there’s your daddy now.  It was exactly 10 PM as I looked at the clock before answering.  Before I could take the phone off the receiver, Faith said,” Can I answer it mommy, its daddy calling for me, just like he promised he would!”   “Hi daddy, I miss you, I love you!,” Faith promptly spoke into the receiver. I miss you and love you too Faith, as I always will.  Daddy will forever be in your heart, always! You’re my little miracle, my angel sent from God, and I love you so much sweetheart, never forget that. I won’t daddy, she replied. I love you too daddy, goodnight, as she blew a kiss back into the phone.  

 

He wants to speak to you too mommy, she told me as she gently handed me over the receiver. Hello sweetheart, I was beginning to worry about you, I told him. Don’t worry about me sweetheart, he replied.  I’m in good hands, the Lords hands.  I’m not sure if I’ve told you often enough just how much I love you, and how grateful I am to have you for my wife? You both make me feel so blessed.  I love you too honey, when will you be coming home, I responded? It’s been quite a journey and I’m alas on my way home now sweet heart.  I miss you already Bob, and I also love you too with all my heart.

 

The reception began to rapidly fade out as I could no longer hear Bob’s voice. It felt so good to hear from him, and now we could finally relax as Faith and I fell fast asleep.  

 

Around 5 A.M. I was abruptly awoken from the sound of the doorbell.  Oh Bob, I figured he must be fumbling around in the dark tying to unlock the door.  I threw my robe on and anxiously scurried to open it for him.  As I pulled the door open, I was greeted by two unfamiliar faces dressed in full air force attire.  Hello, how can I help you, I halfheartedly asked?  Mmm’am, Mrs. Robert James? Yes! We’re so sorry to inform you that Roberts plane went down in a fatal accident at 9: 45 PM tonight on his return flight home from NY to Boston. What are you saying, Bob isn’t coming home?  Bob, died? No! No, please tell me this is all a bad dream! I just spoke to him at 10 PM it can’t be?  I’m so sorry Mrs. James our report is based on factual and accurate details from the F.A.A. Once again Mrs. James, we’re so sorry, please accept our heartfelt condolences. If there’s anything we can do, please let us know.

 

It’s now been almost one year in passing since Bob’s death.  I often still hear his last words spoken to Faith and I over the phone which still continuously play in my mind like a broken record.  Just as the two men stated, and just as it was painstakingly accurate, Bob’s plane fatally went down at exactly 9:45 PM that night.  And just as Bob never made a promise that he couldn’t keep, he did call Faith and I that night. 

 

I’m still not exactly certain to this day how he called, but I am most certain that he did. 

It was at precisely 10 PM as my caller ID can accurately confirm as well, even if no calls can be made from the plane.

 

 I truly believe that God granted him the ability to do so. In a very haunting and perplex way, Bob also informed me of this with his last words of love and by stating he was in the Lords hands.  Now I know exactly what he meant when he said he was finally on his way home.  That was to be heaven, I imagine.

 

Two days following his death, we received a package in the mail. It was addressed to both faith and I and with no return address, so I carefully opened it in anticipation.

Inside were two of the most breathtakingly beautiful necklaces I’ve ever seen.  One half of a heart fit for my neck with the word “Guardian” finely engraved in it.  And the other piece of the heart was to fit Faith, and on it meticulously inscribed were the words, “Angel”.  Along with them was a hand written note from Bob…

 “To both my beautiful angels: You will always and forever make my heart whole!

 

 Bob had once again kept his promise to Faith, along with a gift for me too.

Two very special necklaces that will be always remain cherished and worn by both of us, resting against our hearts, for the rest of our lives.

 

 I just want you to know, from my lips to YOUR heart…Never give of hope, because I can personally confirm that miracles exist. They can, do, and will happen, with a little help from God of course! 

 

Now please excuse me… My phones ringing, and one just never knows who might be waiting to speak on the other side?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

© 2009 Janice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on September 17, 2009
Last Updated on September 17, 2009