The Bridge

The Bridge

A Story by Abdul Alsaaidi
"

A story from 1991 war in Iraq.

"

The Bridge-  by Abdul Alsaaidi

 

The pilot was talking proudly on a TV show and going with details how he and his colleges has bombed the biggest city bridge that the enemy troops would use supplying their units located down south.  They have conducted many operations before in this war and in Bosnia but that was the best, it went easy and smoothly, the hit was accurate and the damage was massive. 

“My family was proud of me, especially my son”.  Then he mentioned how many medals he was awarded from his commanders and even from the Chief of Stuff. 

 

That operation was broadcasted on TV, millions of people watched it and many of them were watching it with pride.

Zainab was crossing the bridge at time along with many people who live near by the bridge trying to cross rashly both sides after they heard the highly flying bombers roaring coming.

 

They were here a few minutes ago but they were just flying in sky around the bridge as they always do that before they release their massive killing bombs.  Zainab was in her late 30th a mother of 3 kids, her husband died 7 months after Saddam released him from one of his dark prisons in Tikrit Saddam home town.  

She had to go to the other side of the river to shop for her family so she came with grocery bags and other stuff for the school for the kids.  Zainab was sure she would make it home safely but the bridge was packed with hundreds of people pushing each other to get the end, the gulls were flying close to their head and cawing.

 

She was surrounded by men, women and kids frightened and angry faces, many of them yelling and telling others to hurry up people.   They passed more than a half of the bridge but the crowd suddenly stopped.

 

The river looked darker and deeper than ever, the sky seemed cloudier and narrower, a bad smell mingled with humidity and fear came from nowhere, the bridge was blocked and seemed has no end…

 

She grabbed her plastic black bags firmly, her hands looked darker and bigger but stronger, her fingers sweating and trembling while the bags handles getting deep in her hands, her pile eyes are looking toward the end of the bridge, her golden ring the only jewelry she has after she sold out everything to feed her kids leaving mark on her fingers. 

She brought a new pant to her son, and some candies to everyone, they must be waiting for her now. In these a few minutes she pictured them waiting and staring at the windows to see what she gets for them.  She would die to see their excitements and smiles in their faces.

 

200 meter before the end , two aircraft coming and  flying over the bridge, making a turn and another one, then they sent 2 missiles hitting the beginning of the bridge, they made another turn and released 2 missiles bombing the end of it, the explosions were like a massive thunder, she lost her conscious fell down on other people bodies, blood were covering her face and hands, there is no sign for her bags, there is only heads, arms, legs collapsed on top of each other the bombers coming back again and hit the bridge where most of people standing with more missiles that shattered and mixed people bodies and bones with the bridge concrete and iron bars throwing them into the air and finally ended into the river while the gulls flying far away.

 

 

 

© 2014 Abdul Alsaaidi


Author's Note

Abdul Alsaaidi
Thank you for your feedback and comment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very heart breaking story, at times the sudden changes in civilians life globally with factors not in their control is horrible, the fact is that we all live in a world with naked horrible realities irrespective of the causes, well written

Posted 10 Years Ago


Abdul Alsaaidi

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. I am not that good in English writing, but trying to get words together a.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Linda alexander

10 Years Ago

The world is downward spiral so fast, too materialistic, less straightforwardness, motives are self .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
1 Review
Added on April 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 22, 2014

Author

Abdul Alsaaidi
Abdul Alsaaidi

London, Wimbledon, United Kingdom



About
Chicklit author from Wimbledon, London. First novel The Love Detective due out May 2018! Born out of a need for escapism I create characters and scenarios that I hope will both lift the spirits of .. more..

Writing