Dancing

Dancing

A Story by Siobhan Welch

I moved to California, and danced.


In my NE Kansas City Hippie/Hoodlum culture, people didn’t dance. There was a stigma about it �" no clue why. When the disco era arrived, wadn’t no way on God’s green earth we were gonna take part in that sell-out s**t. I never went to bars here with live music. I was underage for the most part.


My first experience with dancing happened in California. People did far more than dance as couples. People got up as individuals, as groups, and filled those dance floors. At outdoor concerts, women did their Stevie Nicks twirling and swirling. People jumped up and down and sometimes slammed into each other. Every Armenian party, every Hispanic party all featured dancing. I recall an 80-something Armenian man dance down across the floor, pick up a shot of vodka with his teeth, throw it back and keep on dancing. The South Americans �" they did the tango, and just danced as part of life.


I came back to the Midwest and discovered that freestyle, no-partner twirling and swirling would get you labeled as a crazy person real quick. Bands would be jammin and the audience looked like they were bored to tears. Probably not bored, though. Just upholding their civilized manner that didn’t include dancing. Partners dancing was OK, at least.


I’m in a different country here. I can’t say that I recommend it.

© 2022 Siobhan Welch


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on May 25, 2022
Last Updated on May 25, 2022

Author

Siobhan Welch
Siobhan Welch

Chernobyl, OK



About
Scar tissue that I wish you saw.... more..

Writing