The Fear of Rejection (2)

The Fear of Rejection (2)

A Story by Enigma
"

Second installment

"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I had never felt more conscious of every single action of mine before but probably, no one pays much too attention to everyday activities like walking, making an eye contact, grinning and being unable to reduce it to a mere smile befitting the moment. Feeling out of control, I was fighting a sense of a whole new entity who had the reins and will probably be doing all the dirty things through my unmasked self. The helplessness was overwhelming but as the distance between us decreased to a mere foot’s length, a sudden surge of innocent happiness worked like anesthesia on me and the fear glided down to the weary depths as  the realization of his physical presence washed over my troubled senses. Before I, or the evil twin, could make a move, he gathered me in his arms all of a sudden. In that one second, the separation of twelve long months seemed to dissolve into the familiar fragrance that wafted all the way to my brain. Fighting a dizzying feeling and forcibly detaching myself from him, I started walking towards the house, still grinning like a dork, and leading him by the hand. I remembered my friends telling me that once we meet, all the insecurities and the grumbling attitude would vanish and the two of us would be unable to keep our hands off each other. But of course, I wouldn’t pounce on him, especially not in front of his parents. I don’t understand why I, or even he, continue the pretentious friendship in front of his folks. Both of us are like open books with all our secrets spilled out for the world to read. Yet, we continue our weak facade of being mere friends for the very reason that we find ourselves unable to admit our 'love' in front of them. My personal fear is that they would consider it as inconsequential and mere "infatuation" like anything that is... inconsequential.


So we made our way through the usual greetings in silent modesty and for once, I was satisfied for not making some off-hand remark that had earned me nothing but confused looks in the past. As we made our way up the stairs, I answered his queries half heartedly. Something was definitely out of place. Being with him all this time, made me aware of all that he is and could be. I know him as the vulenrable guy who is forever plagued with the idea of losing his dear ones and the strong man, who has a 'logical' solution to every problem. I see him as a pillar that holds up my world most of the days and crumbles down at the slightest hint of distrust and anger from my side. I know him to be honest to the point of being naive yet closely aware of the reasons why a certain classmate of mine has been a bit too generous with me lately. His ignorance and insight, somehow, do catch me off-guard but then, I expect such surprises from him. Yet today, it was as if a thick blanket had fallen over the guy I knew and all I was seeing was the modest formality reserved for strangers.


It would be a lie to say what I expected of him now. Mentally preparing myself for the worst, I answered him mechanically, unaware of the mean-ness of my tone. The evil twin suggested that I should provoke him to come out with the truth with all its ugliness. And to be honest, the suspense was unbearable. The more time I spent in the dark, contemplating what was to come, the possibilites appeared all the more nasty and gruesome.


"I need to talk to you", he whispered. We were seated on the side of his bed, looking into the eyes of each other which screamed the long painful hours of endless apprehension and uncertainty. Suddenly, it seemed the substance which built up our trust, crumbled and the atomic particles, which held the others together, suddenly repelled and flew back into our being. There was destruction, on my imaginary plane, and it seemed, it was on the verge of collapsing under the weight of the gruesome reality.


I blinked. My capacity to hide the commotion in my mind seems incredible. But sometimes, "its better to say too much than never to say what you need to say".


"Its about the picture that you mentioned yesterday. I just..." he stuttered. I gave in to the sudden urge to console him and make him feel better, all the time being aware of the fact that it was 'I' who needed it. It wasn't a clash of ego and I won't call myself selfish because sometimes, there's only one person out there for you and with you, and that is your own beautiful self. I had twisted the theory to incorporate slight selfishness as well but at moments like these, the waves of genuine emotion prove to strong to hide and hold back. "Its ok" I muttered, reaching out and placing my hand on his shoulder. trying in vain to give a whole-hearted, reassuring smile. I observed a well-placed contemplation pause as he stared back at me pulling my hand back.


What followed was an emotionally charged story, overflowing with guilt and remorse and after full fifteen minutes of his explanation which almost drove him to tears seemed inconclusive...




[To be continued...]

© 2011 Enigma


Author's Note

Enigma
I'm not too good at prose but lately, it all I want to write. Romance has always been the easiest genre so I am building upon a real-life incident and trying to improve my story-writing skills.

Thank you so much for reading. More to come (definitely). :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You were the source of the impulses and your twin gravitated to you on account of it. Everybody admired you for your spontaneous and fun attitude, but the father took a fall on account of it. It made you feel bad and you responded to your twins appeals. A story that seeks to improve prose.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Enjoyed this read. It felt very deep and was well written. Can't wait to read more.

~Anna Rose

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good story. I believe hardest part of life is to control desire and emotion. When you are young. We are controlled by emotion. It is a good thing. Heart brake is better then never loving or caring at all. Good conversation and situation in the chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The last paragraph is my favorite!
It's real suspenseful to me.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An excellent write. Draws one in wanting more!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Romance is beautiful, so there no need to apologize about writing about love. I hope you continue writing the story, it is a joy to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great 2 half! Love the description you have put in this, makes it a strong write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Guilt is a powerful emotion...I'm very intirgued by it...love your depiction....I'm loving this!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You were the source of the impulses and your twin gravitated to you on account of it. Everybody admired you for your spontaneous and fun attitude, but the father took a fall on account of it. It made you feel bad and you responded to your twins appeals. A story that seeks to improve prose.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Regret is one thing but pouring it out is a way to cleanse a conscious. She's enduring so much yet consoling him in his guilt. Now that's true love even through the ordeal he's putting her through. A magnificent piece. I can't wait for more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 12, 2011
Last Updated on November 12, 2011

Author

Enigma
Enigma

India



About
Hi, I'm Preeti. Nice to meet you! I found this place around the same time I found my love for writing. To be honest, it was a time back when I could write. And I did, oh so much. I found words to b.. more..

Writing
I See You I See You

A Poem by Enigma


Secrets Secrets

A Poem by Enigma


Weather Songs Weather Songs

A Poem by Enigma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Greed Greed

A Poem by Tate Morgan