Liquid Flame

Liquid Flame

A Story by Slithering Angel
"

A short story that might develop plot and continuance.

"

/Liquid Flame/

The girl looked at the boy, her brother, on the bed. He was just laying there, watching the rain that had started the moment the first tear slipped down his face. The longer he stared at the rain, the harder his eyes became and the harder the rain fell. In fact, it had just become a freezing rain. She looked out of the window too, and saw the effects. Ice covered everything and it was only becoming thicker as everything became colder, even the room they were in. Then again, she looked to her brother once more and could practically see the cold radiating off of him. She was thankful for once that of the two of them, she had more control over her emotions and power. An out of control blaze, probably wouldn't end well for anyone.

A soft knock on the door made her look up just as it opened and her mother looked in. Her face was pinched and she looked decidedly uncomfortable, but when she looked at her son, tears came to her eyes. She shook her head and smiled at her daughter as much as she could.

"Sweeties, the man your father called is finally here. We're just going to sit down and talk to him for a bit before he meets you guys, alright?"

Before the girl could say anything, the boy spoke, but his voice was harsh and barely above a whisper.

"And...? Then we'll be carted off so you don't have to deal with freaks?"

The last word evoked a blast of lightning which struck just outside of the window. The following thunder clap made every board in the old house shake and the glass sitting on their vanity table was rattled right off, falling and shattering on the hardwood floor. The girl would have laughed at her mother's panicked jump and widening eyes if she weren't so worried about her brother. The last thing they needed was for him to lose it completely and blow this town away with a tornado or bury it with a blizzard... Assuming he could those things.

Her mother turned to look at the boy again.

"No, sweety, we're not sending you or your sister away. We're just trying to figure out how to help you..."

His sister knew the thoughts going through his mind, mostly because her thoughts were exactly the same, but also because of the 'link' they shared.

'Nothing's wrong with us, we just have real power... and that scares you shitless.'

They glanced at eachother with knowing looks before he went back to the window and his storm and she began staring off into space. Their mother looked between them and the storm outside before sighing heavily and leaving the room entirely.

Without taking his gaze from his icey downpour, the boy finally spoke up.

"Why don't we just leave? Go somewhere... else."

The girl sighed, mostly because she wanted to do the same thing.

"And where would we go? None of our friends would hide us. Besides, those two- three wouldn't let us leave..."

Finally, his cold eyes turned to her fully. They were an icey blue and the glow they had from such extensive use of his powers gave them the quality of a ghostly fire. They were quite intimidating, even to her. His words are what froze her though.

"And...? We can take them... We could kill them."

The last part was quiet, like some new revelation. His eyes became more intense but before she could say anything, their mother came barreling into the room, closing the door behind her with a loud slam. This got the attention of both teens. The woman's eyes were wide with fear and shock as she looked over her children.

"You have to leave!"

The sentence was urgent and breathless. Her eyes were filled with pain at its utterance. The boy sat up straight on the bed, and the girl stood quickly, resisting the urge to run and hug her mother and try to calm her down. Instead she asked the obvious question.

"Why? Mom, what's going on?"

The woman ignored her and started running around the room collecting random articles of clothing and throwing them on the girls bed. As if on cue, the boy got down on the floor and, reaching under his bed, pulled out a large duffelbag. He took it to the other bed and started putting all of the clothes their mother threw at him into the bag. The girl was still lost.

'What in the world...?'

"Stop!"

Both the mother and her brother looked at her, one in irritation and the other in sadness.

"Tell me what's going on."

The woman went right back to doing what she had been as the boy went back to packing, but she started answering questions.

"The man your father called... He's like you. He did something with the light. I still don't understand this!"

She stopped as she started rummaging through their closet for more clothes and the girl started helping her brother.

"Anyway, he wants to take you away from us and train you. But he wants to use you... for something terrible."

The boy stopped and looked at his mother with wide eyes. They weren't glowing anymore and the storm had stopped at all of this excitement.

"How do you know? I doubt he said as much, so how do you know?"

The girl stopped too, at her brother's questions and looked from him to her mother who looked uncomfortable again. The woman's mouth opened and closed once, twice before she answered.

"I... I can read minds. His was harder than usual, but..."

It took brother and sister a moment before they both squawked in realization. They couldn't help talking at the same time.

"You're the same?"

"You're like us?"

She gave a quick, unsure nod before she went back to work in the closet, ending the conversation. Another minute saw both children packed and ready to go. She held both their hands in turn while speaking.

"Go out the window and down the fire escape. Here are the keys to the car..."

She pressed a set of keys into the girls hands as she said this.

"Go to your aunt Wanda, she can help you and she'll take care of you."

The girl grabbed her hand.

"But aunt Wanda lives all the way in Main! I've never driven any further than my college!"

The woman shook her head quickly.

"I know you can do it. You're my daughter."

She looked to the boy who's eyes had become a deeper blue but with a lost edge to them.

"And you're my son. I believe in you both above all else."

His eyes seemed to gain some clarity and the girl set her jaw, unwilling to let anyone down. She brushed her chestnut brown hair out of her eyes and looked to her brother.

"You ready?"

He smirked at her the best he could.

"I was born ready..."

They hugged their mother before moving over and opening the window. Before they could step out though, their mother's voice stopped them.

"Oh, and Liam, I've always known you were gay, and I've alwasy been proud."

The boys eyes widen in shock and relief, knowing she had loved him no matter what. His sister smiled, but then screamed as a gunshot rang through the home. They both jumped back as their mother clutched her stomach and fell to her knees. She looked at them as red seeped through her fingers and stained her white sundress.

"Go!"

They both hesitated for only a moment before hopping through the window and onto the fire escape as the woman fell forward. They looked back in time to see the door burst into pieces. It looked like a flash of light had smashed into it. Before his sister could ask any questions or try to save their mother, Liam sent a solid wall of cold air blasting into the room. It caught the tall man who was just entering by surprise, throwing him into the wall hard enough to damage the solid wood paneling.

He grabbed his sister's hand and yanked her down the steps of the escape, the whole while trying to maintain control... And hoping that they would be okay.

 

© 2009 Slithering Angel


Author's Note

Slithering Angel
Tell me if I should make it into a multi-chaptered deal.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

When are you going to write more to this?????

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yes you should make it a multi-chaptered, because I want to know what happens!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

231 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 21, 2009
Last Updated on September 22, 2009

Author

Slithering Angel
Slithering Angel

Harlem, GA



About
I'm twenty-one, I enjoy writing, playing games of any kind, and I'm pretty friendly. ^^ I'm kind of terrible with technology of any kind and I'm a real life-introvert, but online-extrovert. It's easie.. more..

Writing