Almost an Eternity

Almost an Eternity

A Story by Andrew

My heart beats slow. I feel my heart pounding, pushing blood throughout my body. The rush, the warmth, I cant remember the last time I was warm. Lungs fill with air and empty to the rhythm of my heart. 
Life...
This is what life is. My eyes peel open, I blink over and over waiting for them to adjust. I lie staring at the sky; a mixture of blues, and pinks, and reds swirling up into the air. I try to stand, legs are weak, arms feel broken. I make my way to a crumpled stance, eyes now focused on what seemed o be an eternity of glass. The ground below me was water coming up to my ankles as far as I could see. I tried to walk, but fell on my first step. I attempt again only getting another before I fall. I get up again and continue. Where was I? Flashes of Hell struck my memory, heat, fire, screams of those I tried to save. 
"You failed! Don't you remember? You let them all DIE." said a grueling voice into my ear. 
"Don't listen, keep going, walk, look ahead." said a solemn voice in my other ear.
"You're lost, you can't remember anything! Failure." said a third mocking me from behind. 
"Who are you, what happened? Look out!" Shouted a fourth above me. 
Flames ignited the water around me, surrounding me, voices unembodied still mocking, shouting.
"Stop... Stop... Please stop! Show yourself! Who are you? What do you want with me?" I screamed as everything went silent.
A beast stepped out from the flames, it stood as a giant with antlers coming from its head. It breathed like a bull, but talked like a man.
"I am fear... I am everything you hate... I will consume you, all of you." in a deep booming voice.
It drew a sword from its gut, dripping with blood. I felt my side to find my own. I drew it as fast as I could, it glistened with light. Hope filled my heart, inscribed in this sword was power over darkness, fear, and death. Battle raged on day and night, relentless attacks, no remorse when I was down. The voices louder than ever screaming lies, but one voice stood out. A calm voice... A voice with peace,
"Get up, everything is going to be okay, keep pushing, keep fighting, I am with you. I have got your back." 
As I was pushing myself up, blood dripping from my mouth. Hands ripped to the bone. I screamed,
"You have no power over me!" 
I spun myself to my feet ready for another round, but nothing. No one was there. The flames started to die out, water began to calm. The world around me started to go dark with a pitched ring in my ear. 
Nothing...
Darkness that seemed to last forever, was this it? Had I reached my end? 
"I'm not done with you yet." Whispered the voice of truth. 
A blinding light hit me, gun shots rang, "There you are! Thought I lost you! Now get up and move soldier!" 
Bullets flew by my head, grazing the top. The demon of war on me again. Blood dripping from my knuckles, the voices started again. 

© 2017 Andrew


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
Added on November 21, 2017
Last Updated on November 21, 2017
Tags: War, Monster, Eternity

Author

Andrew
Andrew

MN



Writing
Mirror Mirror

A Story by Andrew