The Uncasual Encounter ( Part 1)

The Uncasual Encounter ( Part 1)

A Story by Saad
"

A Los Angeles elite finds himself in LAPD custody only to know that he has been arrested for killing 12 people of which he has no notion.

"

“It was Monday morning dated 27th July; I was seated at the steel chair meant for prime suspects. The morning was gloomy before I was arrested and now it was almost midday and I had no clue of what the circumstances were. My hands were cuffed, so I could barely move, a table in front of me, a clock on the wall adjacent to the table and a big mirror right in front of my face to stare all day long, making my situation no less than a thanksgiving turkey. I heard some officers murmuring about the room I was placed in and what floated up to my ears was the word “INTERROGATION ROOM”. I wore a black tuxedo suit which was merely to impress the health minister in the meeting scheduled earlier this morning, and with my absence I can clearly picture the scenario at my office and surprisingly it amused me. Since my seizure was quite unforeseen, I wasn’t able to apprise the authorities regarding the condition I was grasped in. Another thought that bothered me was the conversation that was about to take place between an officer and me and as this was my maiden experience at a Police station; I adjudicated that an initial preparation won’t do any harm. I started planning my answers and begin analyzing the questions that might be asked. I was en route in doing so, when out of the blue the front door unlatched and a gentleman stormed in and notified me of his occupation. The officer wore a khaki full sleeved shirt and a black waist coat. He had a decent facial outlook, blonde hairs and golden curls on either side of his face. He carried a dozen files on one hand whereas a cup of cold coffee in the other. He propped the files and the coffee neatly on his left and right side respectively, dragged the chair backward and settle himself, which was followed by placing both his hands on the table and looking directly into my eyes.
“Well Mr. Scott, How are you feelin this mornin?” He finally uttered, his question had a meaningful impact on me, as I was completely taken by surprise. I was expecting a more interrogative question, nevertheless it was a good sign and I was relaxed. “Fine, I guess” I announced trying to be casual. He nodded slightly and returned back to the files he brought, I was quite bewildered by this whole arrest thing and the arrival of this gentleman stimulated my urge of finding suitable answers. “Why the hell did you guys brought me here? I had a meeting with the health minister this morning and thanks to you my job might be in jeopardy” I roared in a single breath. He shifted his eyes from the files to my face, “Did you read the newspaper this morning?” He catechized in a polite tone, “Well you guys didn’t gave me a chance to read one” I replied sarcastically, “When was the last time you read a newspaper?” he demanded to know, “I have been busy with my office work lately, Why?”, “So you haven’t read the newspaper and neither used the internet nor have any notion of the city’s Law and Order situation? He exclaimed and this time the tone was dominant. “I’ve mentioned earlier regarding my meeting with the health minister and that became the reason as to why I didn’t socialized the past week” I protested. He stared me for moment and then delivered, “So you know nothing about the murders?” He questioned, “MURDERS?” I gulped “What murders?” I asked trembling in fear. “Mr. Kevin Scott, 12 murders were committed in the past week, the entire Los Angeles is surrounded by terror and the authorities are furious, and I am afraid to say that the LAPD have strong evidence confirming your direct involvement in these crimes”. His words took my breath away and for a moment I felt that I no longer had ground under my feet and the only thought that clung in my mind was to find a way out. I kept goggling at the table in shock as I could not fathom out a way to respond over these appalling implications. “Mr. Scott!” I didn’t respond, “MR.SCOTT!” I yanked my neck to look up to the officer with my dilated eye balls and quickly understood that the reason that my name was pronounced with such high audibility was to bring back my conscious. “Here are some pictures taken at the murder site. Do you recognize anyone?” He quizzed by thrusting the file towards me, and after catching a glimpse of those horrifying, bleeding, and dreadful bodies in those pictures, I was somehow relieved as I didn’t know anyone in those pictures and I returned back the file in the same manner by saying, “Sorry but I don’t think I know anyone”. “Are you sure Mr. Scott?” He asked triggering the anger and frustration boiling inside me, “What the hell do you mean that if I am sure or not?? You know what I would really like to speak with my lawyer now” I shouted insanely at the officer. He pulled himself up, sat back at his chair and sighed, “We have already tried to contact your lawyer Mr. Scott but I am afraid that his cell phone was switched off the whole time” His reply didn’t astonish me since my lawyer kept the legacy of being absent whenever I needed him alive. He paused, and then resumed, “I am really sorry for you but I am afraid my hands are tied and I can’t do anything more”. He stood up taking his files and his barely touched coffee cup with him and left the room leaving me with my own agony.

I woke up next morning worn out and frustrated by the prisoner cells I was kept in to spend my grim night. I barely blinked the entire night and the damp weather caused unbearable ache in my back. I laid there until an officer started beating the Iron Gate with his black rod usually used to bring down untamed thugs. “Rise and shine mister!! Detective Donner will have a word with you”. I stood up to get ready for another encounter with Donner and astonishingly I felt prepared.
I was escorted to the same room where I was initially interrogated by Donner by a junior officer and about-to-be detective. As I entered the room, Donner stood at the right side of the main entrance to the room. The junior officer also followed me inside but Donner stipulated him that his job was done, he nodded and went away. A chair was placed there, considering my presence which was preoccupied. I sat silently and waited for Donner to utter. “Trouble sleepin?” inquired Donner after clearing his throat; I was quite frustrated over this question but still managed a reply, “Yeah sort off…Well what’s the catch?” “The Catch Mr. Scott is that after studying your case thoroughly, our forensic experts have concluded that the culprit might carry a psychological disorder” He stared at me with absolutely no expression or indication. “So?” I replied as simply and uninhibitedly as I could. “I may ask you to prepare yourself for an interview with Dr. Albert Jagelski”, I looked down at that same table again and resumed thinking. Donner realized that further conservation won’t bring any good and so he did what every mature gentleman would at that instant, Left.
It had been put in the picture for me that Dr. Jagelski would arrive in an hour or so and I was instructed to wait till his arrival. That whole hour felt like a lifetime, I felt ignored, rejected, worthless and it seemed as if the air particles felt it below their dignity to enter my nostrils and let my lungs respire. Somehow the hour passed and it was five minutes up when a short heighted, partially bald, elderly man entered wildly through the already opened door mumbling in an unknown language. He wore a grayish-black, three piece suit with an old faded tie that matched the suit perfectly. He hurried towards the chair and was quick in ensconcing himself. As soon as his cord was at ease, he finally decided to greet me with a smile. He had a couple of papers with him and he continued turning one page, then the other. It lasted for several seconds when finally he spoke, “My name is Dr. Albert William Jagelski, I have been assigned your case and informed that there is a high risk that you might be carrying a mental disorder” He paused, and then resumed, “But observing your interrogation video and your initial turn out in LAPD’s custody, I can’t think of any possible disorder but one.” It was absurd, totally absurd I yelled inside my mind and wanted to throw up these dialogues at his face but two days of less speaking created a barrier before my mouth and all I could say was, “And how can you say that?”, “We interviewed people closely associated with you and we have drawn the inference that you might have Cenophanysis”, “Ceno-phe what? What the hell is it?” I yelled, angrily. “Mr. Scott, after interviewing with your office colleagues we found out that you occasionally complain about your nightmares and insomnia”, “Thousands of people have nightmares, are they all psychos? “No but a person being involved in 12 murders might be” I remained silent and allowed him to conclude the argument. “What you have Mr. Scott” He began “Is an amalgam of Dissociative Identity disorder and Short-term memory loss. This disease is quite rare, and is found in one among millions and in some parts of the world the percentage is even lesser. In simple language in this disease the patient may commit something and might not remember it.” This was way more than I’d anticipated and this good-for-nothing discussion has to meet its end. “So you suggest that I have committed those murders and don’t remember it?” “Well that’s one way of saying it, but medically it is termed as Cenophanysis” God knew I’d no idea of what he was telling me, but I was sure of one thing that I am about to get really screwed. I decided to try something else that may bring me out of this crap, “look sir I really appreciate your concern, but on what grounds does LAPD and your forensic experts consider me as the culprit and what prove you do you guys have?” He grinned, “Mr. Scott same knife was repeatedly used to assassinate all twelve people in those pictures you saw. And the only fingerprints we found on that knife was yours, so don’t you demand prove here, we’ve got plenty”. And there went my last and final hope, but despite that I struggled to ask him hopelessly, “So what next?” He sighed in disappointment, looked down at his feet, adjusted his glasses and then rebuked “We’ve spoken with your lawyer and have arbitrated that you must be transferred to the nearest mental facility.” I looked at him with bulging eyes and pitiful face, but that was of no use since he had no jurisdiction beyond suggesting what’s best for me and other mentally ill criminals. “Since putting you in Prison might prove risky for you and for other criminals there, so we all suggested that you’ll be better off with professional supervision” I grinned miserably and nodded, in order to indicate that I’ve accepted my bitter fate. He stood up by adjusting his tie and plucking the papers he brought, and spoke “You’ll be transferred to the facility tomorrow, Detective Donner, your Lawyer Mr. Keith McIntyre and I will be present to escort you safely.” I remained silent and allowed him to decamp from the room implicitly, whereas I was taken back to my cell for spending another glum night.

The Next morning, I was up early and to my surprise there were a lot more people in the station than usually present at this hour of the day. I pulled myself up, rubbed my eyes, yawned for like a minute and finally stood up to discern the gravity of the situation. There were a number of strangely dressed workers hastening and the amount of police officers was almost twice as greater as in routine days. I thought to inquire about the scenario I was witnessing but before I could do that, Dr Jagelski came walking through the corridor “It’s tough to digest, when one finds out that all these people are working for him” He started speaking before he could reach my cell, “How was your night Mr. Scott?” He asked “Fine, I guess” I paused and then resumed “Why are these workers here” I demanded out of curiosity, “Oh them they are from the facility you are about to be transferred.” “Oh yeah..I nearly forgot” I replied with moist eyes which he clearly saw. He placed his hand on my shoulder out of sympathy and replied “I know this is a hard time for you but eventually you’ll have to face it, and it depends on you whether you face it with an open chest or with an open back.” No matter how much I protested but I have to accept the fact that his words did lighten me up and brought me hope. “Here take it” He handed me an orange outfit for those at the facility, “Put this on, after which you’ll be brought to the van outside where Donner, McIntyre and I will take you to the facility” He ended with smile, and I nodded in agreement with him.
I wore the dress quickly, and was taken by four men at the van waiting outside the station. Two men completely armed and marched in front of me whereas two at my back, and as soon as I stepped out the station a mob of young reporters, carrying cameras and holding mikes attacked me and started yelling at me, all at the same time. Since I found it feasible not to comment I abide by my decision and headed straight towards the van and quickly threw myself in. My lawyer Keith and Dr. Albert were already in, whereas Donner was indulged obstructing the mob. He quickly floundered himself in and ordered the van driver to move. I could see reporters running beside the van managing to acquire some words that they might utilize to increase their ratings. The Van took us straight to the facility without stopping anywhere and throughout our journey I only imagined my life at the facility. We soon reached our destination, I heard the iron gates sliding, and saw the staff members as I stepped down. They all felt enthusiastic, determined and hopeful and on the other hand I was Sad, grieved and circumvented since I was about to enter the Darkest Chapter of my book of destiny.

© 2016 Saad


Author's Note

Saad
Please post honest comments. It'll be much appreciated. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a really good story. Break up into more paragraphs to make it easier to read. Can't wait to read the next part. Well done. I am excited for what is next.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Saad

7 Years Ago

Thanks..
Uploading the next part soon :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 18, 2016
Last Updated on May 18, 2016
Tags: Crime, thriller, Psychology

Author

Saad
Saad

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



About
Writer, Freelance Literature Analyst, Engineer, and Part time Singer. Obsessed with ASOIAF, and the most important thing My words are my bond. more..

Writing