Laugh like the world's ending

Laugh like the world's ending

A Story by Grace Morrow
"

The amusement park is bright and colorful and busy, and Erika sticks out like a sore thumb. Hannah can't keep her eyes off of her.

"
The amusement park is bright and colorful and busy, and among the little kids in bright colors and tourists with cameras Erika sticks out like a sore thumb in her black skinny jeans and Metallica shirt. Hannah can't keep her eyes off of her.

"Why, again, did I let you talk me into this?" Erika asks, a hint of petulance staining her tone.

Hannah smirks. "Because I promised to blow you when we got home," she says, quiet enough that the eight-year-old boy who's four feet away from them holding an ice cream bar won't hear but loud enough that Erika certainly will.

Erika rolls her eyes, looking for all the world like she's fifteen again and ditching class in favor of going outside and smoking rather than twenty-two and on a date with her girlfriend. "You would've blown me anyway."

Hannah doesn't argue with that, because it's true. There isn't much she wouldn't do if Erika asked. Instead she takes Erika's wrist and starts moving towards the rollercoaster. "C'mon, this should be fun."



"Why, again, did I let you talk me into this?" Erika repeats.

"I didn't talk you into it." Erika looks over at Hannah, across the harness. "I just pulled you over here. Give it a try for me?"

She nods and grasps at Hannah's hand. And then they drop.



Erika is a screamer in bed, but not on rollercoasters. Apparently she laughs like a maniac instead.

Hannah thinks that's among the funnier things she's experienced, but doesn't tell Erika so; she doesn't much feel like sleeping on the couch tonight. But then, Erika's so giddy off the adrenaline that Hannah could be convinced she's on hard drugs. She could probably say anything she wanted and be fine.

"Can we go again?" Erika sounds strangely hopeful for someone who doesnt want to be here, and she speaks very quickly.

Hannah laughs. "Told you you'd like it!" Erika's eyes are brighter than she can ever remember seeing them, and Hanah's smile is apparently infectious because Erika grins then and nods.



On their first anniversary �" exactly on the minute, and Hannah has no idea how the hell Erika remembers that but she does �" they kiss at the bottom of a log flume, both of them soaking wet and freezing cold and not giving a f**k.

(At least one person claps for them. Hannah is half-expecting Erika to pull away, embarrassed, but instead she laughs like the world's ending and kisses Hannah again.)

For now, at least, they're young and in love and on top of the universe, and neither of them give any thought to the future.

© 2014 Grace Morrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on November 16, 2014
Last Updated on November 16, 2014