An older Carrot Cake Receipt

An older Carrot Cake Receipt

A Story by Robert Aitken
"

This is an old tradition receipt for a carrot cake from the early 1900's, that has become one of my signature receipts.

"

Carrot Cake

 

2 1/3 cups Canola oil

2 2/3 cups Caster Sugar

6 Eggs

4 tsp Vanilla extract

2 tsp Cinnamon

2 tsp Baking Soda

1 tsp Salt

3 1/3 cups Flour

5 1/3 cups Finely grated carrots

1 1/3 cups finely chopped roasted walnuts

1 1/3 cups raisins

1 1/3 cups Crushed Pineapple (drained)

1 1/3 cups shredded coconut

 

Crème Cheese Icing

 

1 cup Butter

680g crème cheese

2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract

7 cups Icing Sugar

Pinch Salt

Grated Zest of 1 orange and lemon

 

1.Preheat the oven to 160ºC.  Line the bottom of 3 three 20cm cake pans with paper; butter the paper and then flour the paper and the pans.

2.Using an electric mixer, beat the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly combined.

3.Add the flour and stir just until the batter is smooth.

4.In a separate bowel; combine the carrots, walnuts, raisins, pineapple, and coconut.  Add the batter and stir with a spatula until thoroughly combined.

5.Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. (It is best to use a set of scales to ensure that you have an equal amount of the cake batter in each cake pan.)

6.Place in the preheated oven and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

7.Let the cakes cool 15 minutes in their pans and then invert them onto wire racks to cool completely.

 

To make the crème cheese icing.

 

1.Process all of the ingredients in a food processor until just smooth and creamy.  Do not over process.  Or, use an electric mixer to crème the butter, crème cheese, vanilla, salt and zest until just blended.  Add the icing sugar, one third at a time, beating until smooth and a spreading consistency is reached.

2.Generously spread the icing between the layers and use the rest to ice the cake.

3.Decorate if you like with crème rosettes and marzipan carrots to portion.

 

Serves 12

 

From: The Curiosity Shop. © 2019

© 2019 Robert Aitken


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on July 3, 2019
Last Updated on July 3, 2019

Author

Robert Aitken
Robert Aitken

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand



About
I am a retired (yea right) chef due to associated health issues. But I still keep as active as I can. I am studying the Cert. in Arts at Massey University having completed a Creative Writing paper in .. more..

Writing