The Sky Looked like Coffee and Milk

The Sky Looked like Coffee and Milk

A Story by Saskia Liddick
"

The first night I started thinking creatively. I was 3 or 4 years old, an age I don't remember, and don't want to.

"
Nostalgia
By Saskia Liddick

   "F**k where are the Goddamned keys!?" Mommy screamed, but Daddy didn't answer, Daddy never talked when Mommy screamed, he just followed her around while she yelled. Sissy wasn't home tonight, she was sleeping at Heidi's house. I sat by the door, covering my ears with Daddy's jacket he always threw on the floor. Daddy and Mommy were in the kitchen, but I still heard what they said. Mean things, horrible things I don't remember now because I had fought to keep them out of my mind. The Akita Chow mix, Bear, sat next to me and likced my cheek. Bear was a big dog, he had tackled over Dady once when they were playing in the yard. That was during the daytime, when Mommy and Daddy liked eachother. When they didn't scream nasty things.
   "F**k Walter, where the Hell did you put the f*****g keys?" Mommy hollared and barged into the room. Bear hid me from sight as Daddy followed and they stopped to scream at eachother like Hippos fighting, bashing eachother back and forth. Even Bear whimpered, I put my head into his beige fur and tried to put away the voices, to turn down the volume like I did when the commercials for Dragon Ball Z came on. But there was no volume button, I didn't have the controller for life, and it hurt when I heard the sound of flesh against the wall. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't cry, I was too scared. I should have been used to hearing screams and smacks and punches, it was a way of life for me. Then there was a shuffle, a clinking, and someone grabbed me around the waist. Mommy was carrying me out into the cold night air, I shivered, but I didn't tell her that she forgot my jacket. I saw Daddy and Bear standing in the doorway, both looking upset as Mommy unlocked the V8 Truck door and putting me inside.
Not until I felt the car's touch did I realize just how sleepy I was, and before I fell asleep with Mommy still shouting over her shoulder at Daddy, I muttered looking up at the Twilight sky, "Mommy... the sky looks like coffee with milk in it..." and I slipped into those dreams I always had where Daddy and Mommy were smiling and hugged eachother, the family was over, and I was... what was the word that Ms. Gordon used when we made her a card for her birthday? Oh yeah, Happy.

© 2009 Saskia Liddick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing voice, such a clear picture of innocence. You could expand on this if you wanted, it's an interesting viewpoint.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
1 Review
Added on October 30, 2009

Author

Saskia Liddick
Saskia Liddick

San Diego, CA



About
Willkommen everyone, come in and sit down. Make yourselves at home, I'm Saskia Liddick, the most energetic and charismatic person you'll ever meet. I've been writing for 6 years, at age ten I left beh.. more..

Writing